X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcaldwell
    replied
    Originally posted by radioguy
    Actually, it is easy to carry duct tape, simply wind it from the roll onto a pencil.
    That is just like an old skier's trick. You wind a few feet of duct tape around your ski pole just below the hand grip. It comes in handy for fixing everything from ripped jackets to delaminating skis.

Leave a comment:

• CALFFBOU
    replied
    Me too...

I carry a roll of e-tape in my turnouts. Due to the
    fact that it has many uses and it is small, you never
    know...

(I havent used it yet, but I am sure soon...Bou)

Leave a comment:

• E40FDNYL35
    replied
    Originally posted by E229Lt
    I have ALWAYS carried a roll of electrical tape. Used it often, always offered it up when the call "Anyone got some electrical tape?" was made.

From clipping wires to isolate a bad ballast to wrapping the Neg. terminal on a disconnected battery, I consider it a must have.
    also you can use it for low pressure gas line leaks, crimp the line and put tape around it to stop the flow of gas...
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 09-20-2003, 09:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• radioguy
    replied
    Originally posted by NJFFSA16
    Comic relief statement only:

Ever try to stuff a roll of duct tape in your pocket?

Stick (no pun intended) with the electrical tape. It's manageable and stands up to the elements. Our instructor always told us..."Necessity is the Mother of Invention!"
    Actually, it is easy to carry duct tape, simply wind it from the roll onto a pencil. The wasted space is found in the large whole in the roll, but you can get a whole lot wound around a pencil and still have it in a nice small package. I have been using this trick to keep the bulk down in my rucksack for years

The best stuff on the face of the earth is military "100 mile per hour tape", not the olive drab stuff but the brighter green stuff, ask around at your local armory or reeserve center and see if they will get you some. The stuff sticks to everything, anytime!

Leave a comment:

• NJFFSA16
    replied
    Comic relief statement only:

Ever try to stuff a roll of duct tape in your pocket?

Stick (no pun intended) with the electrical tape. It's manageable and stands up to the elements. Our instructor always told us..."Necessity is the Mother of Invention!"

Leave a comment:

• be58d2003
    replied
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
    Seen your signature Mcaldwell, I love it!

Leave a comment:

• mcaldwell
    replied
    Good (read: high quality) electrical tape has significant water repellency as well, and can stand up well during overhaul.

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    I have ALWAYS carried a roll of electrical tape. Used it often, always offered it up when the call "Anyone got some electrical tape?" was made.

From clipping wires to isolate a bad ballast to wrapping the Neg. terminal on a disconnected battery, I consider it a must have.

Leave a comment:

• 33motor
    replied
    The "what do you carry in your pockets" article is what I believe he is refering to.

I don't carry it, but we do have some on our engine. It's just one of those things that "your imagination is the limit". It's not something I would feel is worth loading myself up with. Bunker gear can be cumbersome enough, without a bunch of junk in your pockets. I have no problem carrying things that can help me keep out of trouble, but I don't really see elec. tape doing that. After all, if we are going to carry everything that "could" come in handy, we would need a wheel barrel to carry it with. In the event that you find yourself pinned under something, or entangled, the less "bulk" you have the better off you are in my humble opinion. Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• FiRsqDvr45
    replied
    Why electrical tape for what? Which article were you reading? It may help us to help you!

Leave a comment:

• engine1321
    started a topic Why Electrical Tape??

Why Electrical Tape??

I was reading the article on the MembersZone and I noticed electrical tape in the list of suggested items. If I may ask without looking like a moron, why electrical tape?

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X