Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topic for Proposal - (for College Class)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topic for Proposal - (for College Class)

Hello everyone,

I am Fire Science major and taking a Technical Writing Class as part of the core requirement. We have to develop a "proposal" that outlines some idea we would be presenting to someone else. For example, this is the idea I came up with:

A proposal for a town to purchase a Heavy Rescue Truck

I am not a Fire Fighter currently, just studying to become one. Does anyone have any ideas for me to use? Imagine you wanted some type of proposal for your department, and post it to me. I will consider all suggestions, and may even email my proposal to interested parties for proof-reading, further suggestions, etc.

Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you very much.
    "The only difference between one who fails and one who succeeds, is that the one who succeeds gets up one more time."

Your idea of a rescue truck is a great one. Basically what I would do if the assignment was mine would be to address the idea in a systematic way. First you'd start with identifying the problem: getting adequate equipment & personnel to a scene. Why is it a problem and how are you proposing it gets fixed? Well, a new heavy rescue, of course! There's the content of your introductory paragraph. Next you must identify the needs specifically and how they are not being met as effectively as they should be. Why is it important to have the hydraulic tools on a reel that spins right out of the Rescue? Why are the big roll top doors so effective in housing & hiding all of the important scene equipment? Why is a heavy rescue better for your needs than a light rescue? How can this heavy rescue serve the town for its lifetime? Ok, so now you've identified all of the departments need with regard to this truck. What is the truck that you propose now? What are its capabilities & specifications? What are the perks that come with it? What is the cost? Now, while cost always looks bad to your audience, turn the issue around by saying how it will be paid for. You can estimate your town's cost per family over an extended period of time, or mention capital reserves or whatever. Make any negative work for your cause. You can definitely propose this item because of all it offers the town, and your paper can be pretty good. If you need any references, go to the town hall and see what the various departments have submitted for proposals and budget changes. You should do fine. You can always email me with the paper, and I'd be glad to proof it. Good luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Comment

Heavy Rescue Trcuk...Great Idea... This Should Help. Here's a little bit about the newest rescue placed in service near the city I used to live in.

Rescue 21 has arrived!

For a picture of Rescue 21, click here.

http://www.smfd.ca.gov/IMAGES/rescue21.jpg

After 2 ½ years of planning, design, and construction, Metro Fire has taken possession of a new state-of-the art rescue unit. Rescue 21 was built by Saulsbury Fire & Rescue. Saulsbury is the industry leader in the construction of rescue apparatus. They are utilized primarily on the east coast where traditional rescue companies are common, including FDNY and Philadelphia. After 911, Saulsbury built 26 units for New York, resulting in over 100,000 unscheduled man-hours...

The newly arrived Rescue 21 inventory includes night vision, void and thermal imaging search cameras, seismic life detection, concrete cutting chain and rotary saws, demolition and rotary hammers, pipe and air shores, high and low pressure air bags, confined space breathing apparatus, extensive swift water rescue equipment including a line gun, and wonderfully adequate lumber for cribbing and shoring. In addition, standard truck company inventories are redundantly mounted, including 2 complete compliments of hydraulic rescue tools ( Jaws of Life ), and 123 feet of ground ladders.

The apparatus utilizes multiple in-house systems to supply 100-foot air, electrical, and hydraulic reels, including a PTO generator, air compressor, and 2-stage hydraulic pump. A switch activates each hydraulic pump allowing the user to quickly deploy the pre-connected hydraulic cutter and/or spreader. Finally, an extensive lighting system utilizes 360 degree scene lighting and a light tower.

Although Rescue 21 has advanced capabilities by virtue of its design and inventory, training, staffing, and dispatching issues are critical to the successful fruition of the overall rescue company program. 2003 will prove to be a pivotal year as the remainder of training will be completed, trial-dispatching matrices will be tested, and staffing will become solidified. In essence, the program will be in a year of continued development, adjustment, and evaluation.

Although Rescue 21’s crews will have specialized rescue training in the areas of rope, confined space, trench, swift water, and building collapse, all Metro members have had the Advanced RIC training. The Rescue would be utilized in the entrapment of Firefighters due to collapse; however, engine and truck companies are critical to the successful rescue in the majority of fire incidents.

Rescue 21 will be utilized statewide as well. OES will re-certify Rescue 21 as a “Heavy Rescue”, becoming only the ninth Heavy Rescue in California. When deployed on a state emergency, two additional personnel will respond to comprise the required 6-person crew. In addition, a support vehicle towing a trailer holding additional lumber and crew support equipment will follow. OES is currently evaluating the use of Rescue 21 as a model for the entire state Heavy Rescue system. OES hopes to place 58 such units in service (one per county). This program has been in development for several years and the vision will continue to evolve as funding allows.

For the full article click here:
      http://www.smfd.ca.gov/new_rescue_21.htm

Hope this helps.

Bruce, 19, EMT-1D, C.A.
      R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01 God Bless America.
      "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET".
      Last edited by brubaker; 09-18-2003, 12:41 PM.
      Bruce Baker

Medic Student, EMT-I, EMT-I instructor, Haz-Mat FRO

Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Member

R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01, God Bless America.
      "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET!"

Comment

Well this is a really great start to a quick idea i had. It seems as though there is a wealth of information out there. And perhaps one day, I would be able to write one of these proposals for real!

Thanks,
        John
        "The only difference between one who fails and one who succeeds, is that the one who succeeds gets up one more time."

Comment

Specking trucks is easy!

John? May I call you John?
          If you really want to throw yourself into a project that would have real benefits at the end, then do a "from the ground up" fire prevention program. Now, I don't mean where you go to the grade school during Fire Prevention Week and affectionately refer to that as your fire prevention program. I mean a program where you create and draft the ordinance giving the fire department the authority to conduct inspections, shut down illegal burns, review new construction plans, perform residential and commercial inspections for code violation and of course, educate the kids on fire safety topics. That would have a real impact on fire prevention. Let's face it; no fires? No fire deaths!
          A heavy rescue for the community is good. But maybe the community doesn't think that a heavy rescue is necessary. You have to sell them on the idea that, as a department, you want to expand customer service. Well, the customer decides what he wants. I'm not goofy. I know we are speaking purely hypothetical. But you get what I'm saying.
          Get the horse in front of the cart. Fire prevention is where it's at and you're talking to an old guy who loved to fight fires!
          Best of luck.
          Let me know if I can be of help.
          CR
          Visit www.iacoj.com
          Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
          RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola