X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dragonfyre
    replied
    Bob:

I hear what you're saying and visted the websites but according to everything I've gotten from GM (I work at a GM dealership) it doesn't matter which ignitor goes off, the sodium azide is burnt during the deployment no matter which stage, which PSI is chosen.

If there is nothing left to burn, when the 2nd ignitor goes off, how can there be re-deployment?

I'm going to e-mail Keith at the one web-site, I'll let you know what happens.

Leave a comment:

• ThNozzleman
    replied
    "Always assume a deployed dual stage inflator module has an active second stage because it is impossible to visually determine if both stages have been activated."
    From http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/dec2002/collision.cfm

Leave a comment:

• ThNozzleman
    replied
    "Some cars have "dual stage" airbags, also called Multi-Stage Airbags. They contain two ignitors. One ignitor is designed to deploy (with less power) if the vehicle occupant is a small person, while the other ignitor deploys (with more power) if the occupant is a larger person. One ignitor is always left over after the airbag deploys. And that ignitor is still capable of going off in spite of the fact the airbag looks deployed."

This quote came from http://www.airbaginstitute.com/

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    dragonfyre, I'll agree with you, I have never heard of a bag re-deploying as a possibility. But, are there not some bags now that have 2 charges, 1 for a slow speed "lesser" inflation and a second charge for a higher speed "larger" inflation? I have not found any information but had heard something about smarter airbags that take speed into the calculation of whether to do a full inflation or less. Just wondering if you have heard anything about that and if so, are there 2 different charges or just 1 that only partially fires?

Leave a comment:

• dragonfyre
    replied
    Re: Air Bags

"It has become evident that even after the airbags have deployed it is still possible for them to once again deploy meaning that you must still watch yourself with already deployed bags."

Are you saying that once a bag has deployed it can once again be deployed or that if the front bags deploy you have to watch for the side bags?

If you're saying the former then I don't know where you get your information from. Once the bags have been deployed there is no way to "re-deploy" the system. The ignitor and the sodium azide have been burnt off so there is no way to create the nitrogen to inflate the bag.

I've been teaching a class on air bags since 1991, get all my info from the manufacturers and have never heard of anything like that.

Leave a comment:

• cmjones
    replied
    Another challenge is side-impact "curtain" air bags that are made into the top rail between A-post and B-post. Has anyone ran up on these yet?

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Wow.........

If that doesn't get your attention...... Thanks for the "heads up". Anyone know of any particular make/model that this applies to?? Stay Safe....

Leave a comment:

• simfirdept
    replied
    We have a chrysler mechanic on our volunteer department and he has said the airbags can be activated from 30-40 mins after impact. The more and more airbags present in these vehicles the more dangerous our job becomes.

Leave a comment:

• PRFD101
    started a topic Air Bags

Air Bags

Just wanted to let people know and to watch for this. It has become more evident and has even now been posted on the inside of the doors which is not always that visible. It has become evident that even after the airbags have deployed it is still possible for them to once again deploy meaning that you must still watch yourself with already deployed bags. I have not seen this happen yet but still something to watch for. Safety first.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X