Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stm4710
    Well Ron,
    If you all in Marlboro got your heads out of your bum and accept the fact that your trucks are first rate,third rate junk wagons you wouldnt have a problem. Wait.....your an instructor at the academy and cant even pack hose right????? I feel sorry for these new recruits.

Anyway,a 4x8'sheet of 5/8"ths plywood does the job nicely.
    Well, I don't know what to say to you ...except...

Kiss my Axe!
    PS: I love kittens (mfd joke!)
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

I was kind of curious myself what the apparatus had to do with the hose.....

Comment

Originally posted by jsdobson
        There is a commercially available set of plastic rollers that are connected via a hinge. There are also handles on both sides of the rollers so they can be held by one or two firefighters.
        Got 'em, but I'd prefer to let gravity do the work for me! We found that we get more air in the line by breaking down the lay at every coupling than if we leave it intact. The only exception being the first time we load the stuff out of the box - hence the shop vac idea.
        ullrichk
        a.k.a.
        perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

In regards to LDH, does anyone know(I'm sure someone does) at what pressure 5-inch hose should be tested? What is the rating right out of the box?
          Your help is most appreciated.
          CR
          Visit www.iacoj.com
          Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
          RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

LDH

The 3 engines in my dept. all have 5" leather LDH and we had that problem one time as well. We now put all our couplings at the front of the bed and more importantly we make sure the folds are tucked over the couplings slightly behind them which prevents the wind from taking the whole length off. We also us bungee cords.

P.S. I'm glad I transferred into the Truck company

Comment

for ChiefReason

LDH hose should be service tested annually at 200 psi for 5 minutes.

for anyone who's interested:

A member of our FD who owns a machine shop made a single roller for our LDH. The way it works is two firefighters set it under the hose and walk the water out of it after gravity has done all it can. DO NOT BREAK THE COUPLINGS! (In my opinion breaking the couplings is where you get a lot of air in the hose. We had a guy transfer to our FD and shortly after that he was on a hose testing detail with 2000' of 4" on the ground. As everyone else was taking a short break before loading the hose, he had the bright idea of breaking the couplings to drain the water. When everyone else saw him they let him have it. To this day he is still known as 'Snap-Tite', you do the math on that) This leaves a little water in the hose, which is good in the long run for us. When it's time to load we just drive alongside the hose and feed it back up into the hosebed. As the little bit of water left in the hose drains it gets sucked flat as a flounder. You kinda need it flat when there's 2000' of LDH in the hosebed. If anyone is interested I can send a picture of the roller.
              Last edited by tripperff; 09-17-2003, 04:11 PM.
              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

Comment

CR ................200 psi @ 5 for test and I believe it is rated @ 400 psi right outa the box.........or rated that way for the duration.
                IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Not all LDH is created equal with respect to test and operating pressures. Our older stuff is service tested to 200 psi. Our newest is something like 300 psi. (It's not at my station, so I can't go check it at the moment.)

In any event, the service test and initial test pressures should be stenciled on the hose from the factory.
                  ullrichk
                  a.k.a.
                  perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

In any event, the service test and initial test pressures should be stenciled on the hose from the factory.
                    Took the words right out of my mouth.

We use a canvas cover for all of our hose beds, also. With the 5" LDH, we use the flat load. The last 6' or so is folded and we have a nylon strap with seatbelt bucles that is fastened to it. We then set the coupling back so it won't bounce out and when needed to hit the hydrant, all you have to do is grab the strap (which has a loop in it) and pull. Then throw the loop arounf the hydrant and have then engine go. I will try to get a picture to post of it.
                    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
                    IACOJ

Comment

my hero !
                      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Comment

We use hose boxes and air dams on the hose beds to keep 21,000 feet of our 300 psi hose in the bed. Only makes sense.

Comment

Whats a hose box ?
                          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X