eyeglasses with mask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eyeglasses with mask?

Are you able to wear glasses with the scba mask on?

SCBA w/ glasses

I can't speak for any other brands, but I do know that Scott manufactures a special snap-in insert that retains a pair of glasses. The glass' frames are a specific shape. If you bring them to your eye doctor, they can properly order your current prescription cut to suit these frames. The insert is easily removable if you don't have your own mask to use. The cost is approximately $27 and can usually be purchased from any Scott authorized dealer. The lenses are extra. You may want to consider having your department purchase the insert and lenses for you, if they have enough funding.

Stay safe.
    Jonathan Martin
    [email protected]
    WPI Mechanical Engineering
    "Be safe, use smoke detectors...be safer, sleep with a firefighter..."

Comment

You might also go see your local military/reserve unit. For years they have been using modified glasses with a thin elastic band that is designed to fit under a gas mask. They are ugly as hell, but If they seal well enough for a military fit test, I would suspect they might work for your BA as well.

As always, try before you buy.
      Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Glasses

We had a member of our department have the laser eye surgery, and I became the lucky recipient of his mask with the glasses insert in them. All I did was take them to my eye doctor and get the prescription lenses put in them.
        "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
        Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
        from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
        I.A.C.O.J. Member

Comment

No Penetrations!

OSHA regulations and NFPA guidelines no longer allow the facepiece seal to have any penetrations. All SCBA manufacturers have provisions for facepiece spectacles/glasses kits. The US Military, as well, no longer allows penetrations of the seal. The standard issue M-40 chemical/bio mask has a spectacle kit as well. Your fire department is responsible for providing these if you are an OSHA state. Have them purchase the appropriate kit from the SCBA vendor. Then take the kit, and a copy of your most recent prescription to an industrial eyewear vendor. Mine usually cost about 50 bucks to make.

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB!
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

I know in Oz under AS1715 you can't have any penetrations on the seal including hair, glasses, clothes, etc...

Surely NFPA would be the same????

Scott manufactures a special snap-in insert that retains a pair of glasses.
            Sounds interesting- never heard of it.....
            Luke

Comment

Thanks for gettin back to me guys. you are all a big help.

Comment

In Jan of this year had LASIK surgery, and love it. I always wore a small bowed pair of glasses before that DID NOT affect my seal. But it is much better with the surgery !
                IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

i wouldnt mind gettin lazer surgey. i'm not too blind but it would be nice to not have to wear glasses to drive at night and stuff like that. think i'll wait until they perfect it alittle more though. how much does that cost?

Comment

I've used Survivair for the last five years in the VFD I'm a member of. I purchased my own mask and spectacle kit years ago so that I could see and not have to share germs with others. It was a tad bit flimsy, but held up well.
                    At work we use SCOTT SCBAs. I purchased a spectacle kit for the SCOTT, it works real well, rides a bit tight over the bridge of my nose, but at least I can see.
                    This year the VFD invested in many new SCBAs and masks for everyone. We went with the 20/20 face pieces. Instead of using the old Survivair insert that I already had with lenses attatched I purchased a SCOTT insert for the 20/20 mask.
                    It works well, much more durable then the older one, but rides just a tad funny. Nothing that will affect my job, or my safety.

Most every maker has something to use for the face piece.

*Mark
                    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

it was $1000.00/eye
                      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Have you tried contacts?

I love 'em

Comment

Just curious???

Some of you have stated "I bought my own mask".....or 'I bought my own spectacle kit...."

The question is, why? Why would you buy something that your employer (even if you are a volunteer, you are still technically/legally considered an "employee" regarding OSHA/NIOSH and insurance regulations) is legally responsible for providing for you? As an employee, your employer is legally responsible for providing respiratory protection. This includes eyewear for those who require it.....Without prejudice, may I add!

Under regulation, each employee is supposed to have his/her own mask. Additionally, you are also required to undergo fit testing every 6 months. I know a lot of volunteer departments get away without hoving to undergo these requirements........

Comment

No contacts!!!!

cmjones: Somewhere within the regulations, the use of contact lenses is specifically prohibited. This is due to particulate matter in any firefighting environment, as well as high amounts of heat. I used to wear contacts back when I first became a member of my volunteer department- BAD IDEA! Speaking from experience, I can say that contacts, while a member of a fairly busy outfit, suck! I cant tell you the number of times I had to go to EMS and get a bottle of sterile saline to wash out my eyes.

I also work part time in Industrial Safety- there are also many professions in industry where the use of contacts is also prohibited.

Comment

Under regulation, each employee is supposed to have his/her own mask.
                              What regulation? I have seen none that state this. I have only seen where each member needs to have access to a mask and be fit tested in each style they may wear.
                              "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X