No announcement yet.

which turnout gear to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samson,Why thank god for black gear.No sun in your state?I'm thanking God we got the grant and can get OUT of black gear.How you making out on your Tic quest?Stan,I think you forgot one;Firedex.I'll buy into the Caldura SL but you can have your Stedaire,I'll have mine in Crosstech and in all the mfgs. we've looked at so far not one has suggested otherwise,not even as a sales pitch.Thanks for the tip,we grilled the Quaker rep. pretty well and he stood up to the task well.Buying gear used to be a lot easier,two choices of outers and inners.Now it's a whole new ball game.I know a little about gear,and I have a hard time choosing the "perfect"combination.T.C.

Comment

for Donnelly...

If you are buying Globe, specify the Arashield instead of leather for the knees, cuffs, etc. I don't know what that stuff is, but it far outlasts leather and it can be decontaminated in case you get into some nasty stuff unlike leather.
      Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

Comment

I could echo/agree with much of what captstanm1 has offered. I think you're probably more confused now than at the outset. Don't worry about your turnout gear looking cool and "scuffed up" or "new" out of the box (it won't for long) or even the color. Anything in resonably good shape should get you through rookie school, if, used or hand me down is your only option. Any reputable school is going to visually inspect your gear prior to any dangerous exposures. Any exposures SHOULD be relitively safe and controlled. Key word, (SHOULD).Your career after rookie school,the unknown dangers you may face is what makes all the "technical" data matter. As mentioned, any new turnout gear you get meets or excedes safety guidelines. So,having worn many,and currently wearing 3 different manufacturers products, I'll offer my OPINION.The best new turnout gear is the set you get free. If that won't happen and If I were spending my money I'd buy Bristol,hands down over a distant 2nd place MP or Globe-GX7.They all seem to have protected me quite well,wear somewhat similarly,but the deciding factor woulde be weight and comfort,Bristol. Stay Safe JF

Comment

I could echo/agree with much of what captstanm1 has offered. I think you're probably more confused now than at the outset. Don't worry about your turnout gear looking cool and "scuffed up" or "new" out of the box (it won't for long) or even the color. Anything in resonably good shape should get you through rookie school, if, used or hand me down is your only option. Any reputable school is going to visually inspect your gear prior to any dangerous exposures. Any exposures SHOULD be relitively safe and controlled. Key word, (SHOULD).Your career after rookie school,the unknown dangers you may face is what makes all the "technical" data matter. As mentioned, any new turnout gear you get meets or excedes safety guidelines. So,having worn many,and currently wearing 3 different manufacturers products, I'll offer my OPINION.The best new turnout gear is the set you get free. If that won't happen and If I were spending my money I'd buy Bristol,hands down over a distant 2nd place MP or Globe-GX7.They all seem to have protected me quite well,wear somewhat similarly,but the deciding factor woulde be weight and comfort,Bristol. Stay Safe JF

Comment

Some advice on Turnouts

I would invite several representatives in and assess which products best meet your requirements. As you can see by these posts, there's no clear winner in the world of protective clothing. An element of service and confidence in the suppliers you feel closest with would be a good start and get them in to show you product. The beter people should be able to guide you through the selection process, and come up with what's best for you.

Comment

Anybody can/will sell you gear.At least as important as the sale is the SERVICE AFTER the sale.Many nice choices today,decisions will not be easy.T.C.

Comment

Around here you have to be on a dept to get into a Academy class. And thier is NO WAY IN HECK I would buy gear much less new stuff for the academy. I wore my spare old Globe stuff and it was trash when I was done. I wore the toes off a pair of rubber boots and put 2 stress cracks in a 1010. My department has only made the mistake of sending someone to school with new gear once..it was a costly mistake.

Now I wear Quest gear as my main set and I have a set of second hand Morning Pride as my back up. I would love to try on a new set of MP, but my Quest is a great second best.
                AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

SECURI-TEX IS THE DEVIL!!!

I really can't comment on the best gear to buy since I haven't had any experience with a wide range of gear. I CAN HOWEVER TELL YOU WHAT NOT TO GET!!! DO NOT GET SECURI-TEX (R) GEAR. This stuff is the most uncomfortable, short lived, poorly made gear you can buy! It is extremely light weight but has no ruggedness whatsoever! It burns about as fast as a thick sweater and tears very easily! You have NO FLEXIBILITY! It is also extremely tight in all the joints... and this was specifically fitted to us. Stay away from securi-tex and stick to something like QUEST! or even GLOBE PBI!
                  LREngine135
                  Firefighter/EMT-B

All things I say...while not always making sense are ALWAYS my opinion and only mine. They do not reflect the opinions of any department of which I am a member.

Comment

Securitex Is the Devil???

Wow! That's alot of fire you're spreading there LRFireE135. I have seen and heard of every turnout gear manufacturer out there, and believe you me, I have seen some shoddy work! But I am surprised about your comments regarding Securitex. There are alot of departments wearing that gear and loving it! Maybe you should give the manufacturer a call and express your dissatisfaction and help them improve. Hey, now there's a novel idea! Give people some advice. or maybe the dealer, for that matter, didn't size you up well. Isn't it wonderful to have a choice in this world. I guess you'll buy from somebody else then..

Comment

Securitex

I know I will.Tried one set,not impressed!I guessing our next 60 sets will be Globe but the juries still out.I know what they WON'T be.T.C.

Comment

Gear

Hello

I thought I would add my thought to this. First I am carrer and a vollie so I understand both sides. I have been in the fire service for 15 years and have had many sets of turn out gear.
                        As a carrer fire fighter I am wearing Morning Pride. We don't get a choice on the type of gear we wear. I have found this gear to be heavy and uncomfortable. The gear has also torn easy. We are not a very active department either.
                        In my vollie department I just finished researching to purchase new turn out gear. I had the chance to look and learn about many different types of gear. The point was made earlier about the BFPA 1971 standard. The 1st set we looked at was fire dex. It was not heavy a plus. But as I researched and found out it doesn't hold up well in heat. The materials breaks down easily. The nice thing about fire dex was the cost under a $1000.00 a set. Next we looked at the gear from Gall's magazine. Which was what we were buying due to our budget. Again this gear was not lasting very long due to the quality of material. Then we looked at Globe. Globe has been around forever. The company offers different levels of quality. The gear was comfortable and the gear lasts. This is the gear we wanted. The County stepped in and told us we will be purchasing Morning Pride. I have found that Morning Pride material does not hold up to as well as Globe. I have also learned that Morning Pride doesn't like to repair there damaged materials. I know people who are in busy firefighting companies that have Morning Pride and there gear is being replaced or repaired on a regular basis

Personnally I think that Globe is the best. I have my own set of Globe gear that I have been wearing for 10 years now and there is nothing wrong with it. When you buy your gear don't buy it because FDNY or any other FD uses it. Buy it because it will best work for your needs. Go to the dealer and ask to try it on and learn about the manufactuer. That is what I did and I learned so much about each manufacuer. The Morning Pride dealer told me that I should buy MP because FDNY uses it!!!!!!
                        Good luck in finding your gear. I hope the FDNY guys reading don't get mad nothing personnel

Orms

Comment

Morning Pride

I read where the guys didn't like sitting on the tails, I will take that over the heat stress caused from having pants that cover your kidneys and retain heat.
                          Last edited by KSpath; 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X