No announcement yet.

Fdny too white too male??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id be willing to bet that the honor of working for FDNY means much less to kids these days then it would to you or I. They just look at $$$.

I would gurantee that if you approached anyone in a rookie class, doesnt matter if its Oklahoma, Utah, Cali or Maine.... you will find that there is a great number who would do it at a drop of a hat. But as you say, money is a huge factor. If you examine the LA fire department, they start off making around 55k(i believe). But that is in a city where the grocery bagger makes over 10 bucks an hour. New York isnt going to be that much different. And they make less than 1/2 what a rookie in LA makes.

The pay rate does matter alot. You can advirtise all you want but to work for FDNY, you have to want it. Your not going to get rich off of it. You have to have the desire to dig in and make the best out of it.

And off topic, I agree with this statement... but for a whole different reason
    Personally, I don't think women belong in the firehouse
    I believe that firefighters belong in the firehouse. It should not matter what race/religion/nationality/sex a person is. If they are qualified and made it through the process, then they deserve the job.

But when you start saying, well I dont like women in the firehouse. Or I dont like (insert minority, religion, nationality here), you are breaking it down too far. But, at the same time, no one should come in there and say "Well, I'm a (insert here) and this is what I want/deserve. Everybody is equal in the firehouse. I guess the best way to describe how I feel is a saying I heard in fire academy. I will try to clean it up for firehouse but..

A recruit class had women, african-americans, mexicans, and whites. The chief walks in and says "I dont want to rednecks, Slur for women, slur for african-americans, and slur for mexicans. What I want is people who are firefighters. Who you are or what you are doesnt matter at the fire station. You are there to do a job. If anyone of you thinks your special or that you deserve something because of who you are, then you fit the catagory mentioned and you need to get out." This happend only once and a long time ago...

But, I hope this gets taken the right way and not viewed as racist.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1983
      Id be willing to bet that the honor of working for FDNY means much less to kids these days then it would to you or I. They just look at $$$.
      Don't think so dave. With a starting salary of 25K....we still don't have any problem hiring people who want the job.
      IACOJ Member

Comment

Originally posted by VinnieB
        Don't think so dave. With a starting salary of 25K....we still don't have any problem hiring people who want the job.

Agree, but I was speaking of young people who really arent sure what they want to do as a carrer. You dont need to recruit people that want the job, its the ones that are still undecided. There will always be people who want to work for FDNY just because its FDNY, no matter the wage.
        Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
        RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
        Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Ok Dave, I understand ya' now.
          IACOJ Member

Comment

Fdny too white too male??
            Only if you are unable to physically or mentally meet the requirement set forth. So being the bleeding heart liberal, I'm a victim individual you are, it's much easier to cry racism or discrimination to lower the standards. This way you can be in a job that you where not able to get in the first place, do to your own inability to pass the tests. Or put more simply-you are unqualified for.
            My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
            George Mason
            Co-author of the Second Amendment
            during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
            Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader