No announcement yet.

Fdny too white too male??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All great posts so far. The bottom line is that this isn't a job that you can recruit for. Period. Black, Asian, Hispanic, White, Woman, Man...it doesn't matter, the person has to want to do the job. Recruiting, in any neighborhood, is like trying to talk people into doing our job. You know what, I don't want to work with someone who has to be talked into being a firefighter. I want to work with people who searched out the job.
    Good luck to all of those Departments across the country who go out of their way to recruit, train and hire people who wouldn't normally do the job. I trust all the brothers I work with because they all truely want to do the job. They arent doing it because they were handed an application, had help filling it out and can get 2 days off and retire early.

Scott

Sorry to offend
    www.miamivalleyfools.org

Comment

Stumbled across this old thread doing a Web search.

It seems like no matter how much official recruiting there is, most people take the test because someone close to them, usually family, encouraged them to do it.

I've asked many of my coworkers if they encourage their daughters to be firefighters. Most said no and some said they actually discouraged their daughters' interest in firefighting. When I pressed them, most said it isn't that they don't think their daughters can do it, but that the firehouse can be a tough place for women and they don't want to see their daughters get picked on. I think that until this changes, the number of women firefighters won't grow much. Maybe the next generation will be different.

I'm curious. How many of you would encourage your daughter to be a firefighter?
      Last edited by rookiemove; 09-01-2006, 08:37 AM.

Comment

It like that everywhere.... I live in North Carolina and to be hired at some of the bigger cities ie: Greensboro Raleigh.... you have to wait till the right time because they either do gender or minoirte campigans. you have to wait till they are done with these before you have a chance of being hired.
        22 House protecting our first due and yours!

There are alot of heros in the fire service most are in the front yard!

Firefighter/EMT-I

Engine 222
        Putin The Wet Stuff On The Red Stuff!

Comment

$32,724 per annum, WTF!

Its a wonder FDNY gets anyone to apply.

I dont do this job to make a fortune either, but, damn. Thats almost $4K less then we start and our job isnt half as tough as FDNY, and its cheaper to live here.

That may be the problem...
          Last edited by Dave1983; 09-01-2006, 02:22 PM.
          Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
          RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
          Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Well meathead berkman is retireing from the FDNY.

I know the Brothers are happy to see that day arrive!!
            Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1983
              $32,724 per annum, WTF!

Its a wonder FDNY gets anyone to apply.

I dont do this job to make a fortune either, but, damn. Thats almost $4K less then we start and our job isnt half as tough as FDNY, and its cheaper to live here.

That may be the problem...

Now ask a FDNY probie what he realy made his first year after all the OT and then you will go ooooOOOOHHH K ! lol
              ******=================
              ******================
              ******=================
              ******================
              =======================
              =======================
              =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Comment

Well...............

$ 32,724.00 ??? My RETIREMENT income is more than that. AND, needless to say, Without Overtime.

Seriously, A lot of kids today look at the Bucks First. And Last. Benefits?? Who cares?? At least that's what I hear down in the Mid Atlantic. I have no real handle on Recruitment, even though I've recruited Volunteers for many years. Several Observations from those years: 1. Either you want to do it or you don't. If you don't, you won't put 100% into the job, if you don't put 100% in, then nobody wants to work with you. 2. Volunteering is seen by some as a leg up the ladder when you apply for a full time FD job, but the fact that all segments of the hiring process are completely removed from the FD seems to go unnoticed. 3. Residency Requirements are a huge hinderence to getting enough QUALIFIED applicants, Paid or Volunteer. 4. Some, if not most, Books on Human Behavior claim that the desire to belong is one of the strongest of human impulses. What they would Belong to is a different matter.
                Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                In memory of
                Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods
                  $ 32,724.00 ??? My RETIREMENT income is more than that. AND, needless to say, Without Overtime.

Seriously, A lot of kids today look at the Bucks First. And Last. Benefits??
                  Speaking of how things work here, your right, they look at the pay and benefits above all else. So if thats also the case in NYC, that could be a big part of the problem on getting people to hire on. That problm will only be corrected by higher wages. Id be willing to bet that the honor of working for FDNY means much less to kids these days then it would to you or I. They just look at $$$.
                  Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
                  RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
                  Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Originally posted by 12282002
                    That all being said, I still think there is some valid criticism for FDNY (and other departments, unfortunately FDNY is the highest profile department around). Personally, what are your feelings on minority/women FF's. I'm sure that you don't mind them in the firehouse per se, but do you feel that your department is doing enough to recruit/retain them. If you feel that they do, I would be interested in learning what your department does. If you feel like there's room for improvement, what would you do as chief for a day? I know that my department has a nationwide recruiting machine that promotes our size, salary, and city. All in all, I think that my department is doing a good job of increasing women/minority FF's.
                    Personally, I don't think women belong in the firehouse, but that's a whole different topic altogether. The point here is that FDNY is not discriminating against anyone with its hiring practices. It is not the responsibility of FDNY, or any other fire deparment, to go out and specifically try to recruit minorities and women. Minorities and women are offered the same opportunities as everyone else in the fire service. Written tests should not be altered to accomidate the less intelligent amoung us, and physical agility tests should not be altered to accomidate the weaker amoung us.

Comment

And..................

Dave, we agree. I think I said this before, but here's my position:

I don't Recruit Male or Female, Black or White, Short or Tall, Blue or Green, Fat or Thin.

I Recruit FIREFIGHTERS. PERIOD. Nothing else matters.

Ironmint, you were born too late. Today, anyone can be anywhere, "Belonging" isn't a consideration anymore. Remember, Women and Cats are going to do as they please, Men and Dogs should get used to the idea and stop whining.
                      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                      In memory of
                      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by rookiemove
                        I'm curious. How many of you would encourage your daughter to be a firefighter?
                        I will not encourage any of my kids to follow in my footsteps. If they want to, that's fine. If not, that's just as fine.

I can't picture wanting my kids to see the death and destruction that I see all the time.
                        NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
                        IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

FDNY recruiting in the 70s

My perspective on the FDNY recruiting process comes as a kid growing up in Brooklyn. Looking for a job during the economic down turn in the seventies and now as a NJ. resident & volunteer firefighter for 16 years. I lived down the block from “The Fireman” (neighbors if they worked for the city were always known by job titles Joe The Cop, Tony The DSC guy, Bob from The TA) but never wanted to be one. I was never exposed to fire fighting , no family FF, no vollies in Brooklyn(except Gerritsen Beach), TV was mostly Cop shows & Emergency was LA & cornball. In NYC only ESU does rescue. (just kidding)My older brothers became cops because a detective approached on the subway & suggested taking the test & not being collage boys it kept them from the draft. So much for recruiting. You had to buy “THE CHIEF” Civil Service paper just to find out about tests. No one came to my school recruiting for any City job. I took the cops test because we were a cop family. Unfortunately (fortunately) the city went bankrupt and my academy class was canceled. The class before me was laid off. Wound up working for the Port Authority & moved to NJ. I knew it was a vollie FD. Never thought of joining until a firehouse visit with my Cub Scout son. Our dept. has an active junior program an all these guys talk about is becoming a career Firefighter. I have told them starting pay is low, they don’t care. The department they want is FDNY however, these kids are not the demographic FDNY is looking for so that its workforce reflects the makeup of City residents.

Comment

Id be willing to bet that the honor of working for FDNY means much less to kids these days then it would to you or I. They just look at $$$.
                            I don't agree, Dave.

Not if young men like Michael Reilly are the norm. And Mike is not the only FDNY firefighter I've heard about recently who has &/or had that quality and reason for joining the New York City Fire Department, especially since 2001.
                            September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                            IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                            Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Perhaps an overlooked reason explaining why some cities have a higher % of females than FDNY is right under our noses:
                              FDNT DOESN"T use an exam process. It's a straight scoring system, to my understanding.
                              How many other cities with high % of females used a straight "physical score +written score+veterans= final score"?
                              FDNY doesn't provide an opportunity for any monkeying around with who moves on in the process, or anything vague like how well they did on the oral board.
                              Many cities I know use the oral as a major component of the process, allowing people that squeek by on the written and stagger through the physical to jump up many spots on the list.

I say good for FDNY- they don't allow any opportunity for favoritism, racism, or gender discrimination. The numbers don't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by BFDNJFF
                                Now ask a FDNY probie what he realy made his first year after all the OT and then you will go ooooOOOOHHH K ! lol
                                WOW.."all that OT" huh? I'll tell you in my first year I made only 40K...thats including the "TONS of OT" you speak of. And the probies now...will be lucky to get 32K with the vast amount of OT that is just sooooo available.

Thanks for a great response....your insight is truly amazing.
                                IACOJ Member

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X