Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What direction are the bugles on your badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What direction are the bugles on your badge?

Question for you: Do you know of any fire department that has a badge or insignia with the bugles turned sideways? I believe the tradition has always been if there are bugles on a badge they are either verticle or crossed. Am I wrong or has there been some new movement in the fire service I have not been made aware of sweeping across this country? Our benevolent fire chief has just distributed new badges to our Battalion Chiefs, I mean "Battalion Commanders" since he recently "reclassified" the position. The new badge is silver in color and has two side-by-side bugles mounted sideways in the center. Has any of you ever seen or heard of this before? We don't where he got this from and what exactally it means. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Stay safe and remember, we didn't cause the problem, we're just there to help!

2 upright bugles are usually the rank of captain ........if they are flat or horizontal then I have no idea WTF your chief is talking about.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Don't quote me on this, but I have been told that the direction represents either a line or administrative officer.

For example a LT with the speaking trumpet facing (l) the traditional way is a line officer, and if it is laying (-) then it is a non-line administrative position.

I have no factual information to back this up however, although I will do a little searching to see if I can verify it.

Dan-
      IAFF Local #772
      You could learn alot from a dummy

Comment

NOT A CLUE.......

This is probably the ONLY thing the NFPA does not have a standard on. (Thankfully) On the East (Right) Coast, all officers Badges and insignia are gold. All trumpets START with one vertical (LT.) then 2 vertical, side by side (CAPT.) 2 Vertical, but crossed, (BATT CHIEF) 1 Vertical, 2 more crossing the vertical at a 45*angle can be a DEPUTY, ASSISTANT, or DIVISION CHIEF, (Whoever is third in command) 4 bugles, 2 vertical crossed, with 2 more slightly higher crossing the first 2, is for the second in command (DEPUTY or ASSISTANT CHIEF) The FIRE CHIEF has 5 bugles, 1 vertical and then 2 crossing, then 2 more higher up crossing the first. LTs. and CAPTs. in Ladder companies sometimes have an axe instead of a bugle. Hope that helps. Stay Safe....
        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
        In memory of
        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

ummm...correction

What appears to be "bugles" on the badges are not bugles, nor are they speaking trumpets. They are plungers for the amount of crap you have to put with while you ascend through the ranks!
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

El Presidente',

You just posted what we were taught the first day of Company Officer Training at the Fire Academy. Thats why I'm still a silver badged SR. Firefighter.
            AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse