This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Captain Gonzo

Obviously with 150 posts you have a lot of spare time not going to fires. You seem to be brave behind the computer screen to chime in about Kentland. Why don't you get some Kahona's and check the place out for yourself....get a life you wanna bee, you couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag with a stack tip. Those guys over there do it man..you and me both should aspire to their firefighting abilities.

Love Engineforlife

Comment

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG !!!!

Enough Bashing Each other ---

Comment

ITS PRETTY SAD HOW EVEN THE TOPIC OF HAUNTED HOUSES GETS EVERYONE FIGHTING ABOUT VOLLY/PAID OR WHO'S BETTER OR WHO'S WORSE..THIS IS PATHETIC.....YOU GUYS COMPLAIN ABOUT THE JUNIOR FORUM ACTING IMMATURE AND STUPID..LOOK AT YOURSELVES PEOPLE!! YOU SAY HOW OH JUNIORS GOTTA SPELL BETTER AND GET SOME BETTER TOPICS CAUSE REGULAR FIREFIGHTERS WILL THINK BAD THINGS ABOUT THEM...WELL LOOK AT YOU GUYS..A SIMPLE FUN TOPIC LIKE THIS ERUPTS INTO A BATTLE...YOU GUYS HAVE JUNIORS AND EXPLORERS LOOKING UP TO YOU...THINK ABOUT THIS PEOPLE!!

------------------
        Andrew
        South Amboy, New Jersey
        EMS Cadet in NJ
        "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

Comment

OK fellas,

Lets get back on the topic, Haunted firehouses....

I too have heard of the strange noises that occur inside many of our firehouses.

We have a firehouse that late at night, you can hear chains rattling at the top of the hose tower. When you turn on the light and climb the ladder to the platform at the top of the tower, nothing is there. The rumor has it that back in the 50's a probationer hung himself in the hose tower and wasn't discovered for a week.

I can't wait to get up to Kentland to see if the ghosts of paid-men past haunt the Firehouse. Can anybody tell me who to call to get hooked-up, thanks.......Jake

Comment

the oldest station in lex., ky, is haunted, according to some of the old heads, by an old capt. who died while on duty in his sleep on Christmas Eve in the 1940's. he is said to have sat in an old cane bottomed rocking chair. that chair was put in the attic of the station after his death, where it is still heard to be rocking on occasion. chief's have gotten calls from neighbors who were mad because they could see a fireman looking out of the upstairs window, but no one would answer the door. this usually happens when the engine company was out on a fire run or training. engine started by itself and backed in to the wall one night(std. trans.). some of the guys who have worked there would not even go in the house alone on payday to pick up their pay checks if the co. was out. another station was formerly a combined fire and police station for the county prior to merger. we had an ambulance stationed there, and the ambulance crew qtrs. were located on the side of the building formerly used by the fayette co. police. the room that became the dormitory was the old "drunk tank". i know a guy who swears that "luther", a drunk who died in the tank, would get up and walk around the dorm. at night. he claims to have got face to face with him as he rolled out for late night runs!

Comment

Engine58 & Brian... thanks for being the voice of reason

As for haunted firehouses...

On April 18, 1924, a firefighter named Frank Leavy was washing a window at the fire station. For some reason, he paused in his work, his hand resting against the pane of glass, and he told a friend who was standing nearby that he had the strangest feeling he was going to die that day. Just then, the station received an alarm call and the fire fighters was sent to a fire that had broken out at Curran Hall, an office building in Chicago. While fighting the fire, a wall collapsed and killed eight of the firemen..... Frank Leavy was one of those killed.

The next day, one of the firemen noticed something strange about the window that Frank had been washing the day before. There seemed to be an unusual stain on the glass.... and it appeared to be the imprint of Frank's hand at the same spot where he had been leaning the day before.

They tried everything that they could, but they could find no way to erase the strange handprint. It seemed to be etched into the glass!

An expert from the Pittsburgh Plate Glass company brought a special solution to the fire house, guaranteeing that it would remove the print, but it didn't work. Over the years, there were suggestions that the pane of glass be removed, but many of the firemen argued, saying that it was not right to fool with the unknown. Besides that, it was a reminder, albeit a grim one, of their dead friend. And there was no doubt that the handprint belonged to Frank Leavy! An official from the city had come down with a fingerprint comparison and the prints matched those of Frank's. For the next twenty years, the handprint defied all explanation and was a common attraction to visitors and other firemen from around the city.

Finally, on the morning of April 18, 1944 a careless paper boy tossed the morning edition at the fire house and shattered the window where Frank's handprint had been.

It happened exactly twenty years to the date of when Frank Leavy died!

The fire station is still located at 13th and Oakley Streets in Chicago, Illinois. For more information, contact the Chicago Firefighters Assoc., 1800 South Halsted in Chicago.

PraireGhosts.com

Fact or fiction... you decide

------------------
              Stay Safe...
              Rebecca Richardson FF/EMT
              Isles of Capri Fire Rescue
              South Florida

Comment

LFD2203

Station 4 isn't it??? I could be wrong, it's been awhile. I remember the story though. Small station, 2 story, spiral staircase. Almost have to bring the mirrors in on the Engine to get it in the door. Do you work in Lexington? Let me know. I worked there for about a year.

By the way, I worked there. You do here noises.

Comment

Jake, my congratulations on a great topic. A fire company that I used to belong to is quartered in a building built in the 1930's and it is unquestionably haunted. Odd things happen regularly such as bathroom stall doors being locked from the inside, tv and lights turning on and off, foot steps across the floor, yelling when nobody else is there, etc... A few members decided to bring in a Ouija board one night and see what they could find. It turns out that there are 2 ghosts, one is a past chief and the other is a small boy that used to live in a row of miner's houses that has long since been torn down. The chief confirmed his identity by naming other long dead members (so long dead that we had to dig back 50 years in the company's records to even find their names!). The chief generally drags chairs arround the meeting room at night and yells at members while the boy is constantly bouncing his ball on the upstairs floor. All of this only happens at night. Again, great topic choice! Be safe.

Comment

Hey Eng522ine,

What firehouse is that, I'd like to check it out, I normally am not into that but what the hey?

Thanks

Primo VIn

Comment

HAMMER 14
                      yeah buffy, you're right about sta. 4. how's everything at the heights???
                      going to keep you guessing for awhile.

Comment

let me try this again
                        HAMMER 14
                        sorry jodie, got you confused with your running mate.

Comment

Just so ya know that we have ghosts out here in the West too . . . My last department had a station where one of the resident firefighters killed herself. I had heard all the stories, but didn't believe 'em. Even after standing in the bay and having one of the engine doors swing open with no one around I didn't believe. Then one night I was laying in my bunk when I was awakened by a creak in the floor at the far end of the house. A moment later the floor creaked a little closer. Then again on the other side of the wall. Then at the foot of the bed. Suddenly, the temperature dropped sharply. I mean DROPPED. I wrapped up in the covers and, deciding there wasn't anything I could do about a ghost, went back to sleep. About fifteen minutes later I woke up sweating because the room had warmed back up. It's kind of hard to maintain your doubts after an experience like that.

Other firefighters encountered her in the hall at night as a dark figure, but when they turned on the lights there was no one there.

[This message has been edited by pyroknight (edited 01-26-2001).]

Comment

LFD2203
                            So, is Buffy still employed by LFD??
                            This Ain't too fair, You can guess me, of course how many people do you know up here?
                            Are you an Ex-Lt that moved up? Let me know.

Comment

This isn't much of a haunting or ghost story. We have a cat that appears and disappears. You can chase it through the bays, living room, bunk room, kitchen, offices and never catch that cat. One Lt. thought he had it cornered, flipped on the light and it was gone. It only appears at night.

Comment

Our firehouse was built in 1879, it was one of the first firehouses in the area. We have a lifetime member named Henry Paxon, we call him Henny. Henny was a member from about 1900 to about 1950. Usually if you are alone you will hear footsteps in the atic, you will hear doors slam but noone walks in. Once two guys were working on hand tools in the back room and an axe flew off a table and slid into the back of their feet. Once someone saw through the front door window that the officers seat on the truck was open, when he looked down to open the door and walked in the door had already been closed. Nothing more serious happens, but there is always a weird feeling in the place.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X