Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTFDChief730
    replied
    This is an unbelievable story. Health/fitness MUST be of top priority for today's fire service. Heart attack has been for to long the number 1 killer of FF's and NOTHING is changing.

Thank you Firehouse magazine for finally having a monthly article on health/fitness.

Leave a comment:

• NJFFSA16
    replied
    Grow up!

Firebuffbuff, your comments are unacceptable on these forums. It is sad to see that your first post here is nothing but a sophomoric comment, usually uttered by grammar school students in the 5th grade locker room.

I have requested that the administrator review your post and take appropriate action.

Leave a comment:

• Firebuffbuff
    replied
    Oh my, CLIFTONS mayor is a homo? What do his boyfriends think of the firefighters???

__________________________________________________ ___
    Fire Fire! heh heh heh

Leave a comment:

• FFsWife
    replied
    The politicians def. lead taxpayers to believe the FFs job is a vacation and...

They refuse to admit or talk about the dangers, the sleepless nights and the time away from family. The only time they are away from their families is when they spend the night at their girlfriend/boyfriend's house.
    Like CLIFTONS MAYOR, not wanting to talk about nights away from HIS boyfriends house...

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    I think that you would find that working a 24/72 schedule is seen as the ultimate perk. No other person gets to work such a shift. Many politicians look at this as an injustice, so they try to either take it out on the union or make their lives miserable because they received this perk. Looking at it in this light, the outrageous statements by the politicians are understandable. They are jealous.

Of course you can't work 24 hours a day. They know it. But they would have the public believe that you are there on a picnic. That it is like living in a college dorm. They refuse to admit or talk about the dangers, the sleepless nights and the time away from family. The only time they are away from their families is when they spend the night at their girlfriend/boyfriend's house.

Leave a comment:

• LRMark26
    replied
    STUPID POLITICIANS biggest babies EVER!!!!

I know of fire dpeartments and police departments that set aside an hour for workouts each shift. If you get hurt working out it is your own damn fault anyways. How many gyms are sued every year for someone having a heartattack or getting injured while working out? I never have.

Don't quote me on saying this i am not 100% sure on this information but it is worth looking into for an argument. I believe the NFPA has set a standard or suggestion or something that the NFPA does stating that the fire department make available to their members access to equipment for firefighter exercise. So if they take the equipment away then they need to buy all of its members memverships to a gym or club. Hmmmm what would be cheaper.

And what does your city of Clifton think that you will be working the full 24hrs? Are they nuts? Sleep time? Will they take away your beds too for sleeping on the job?

Hmmmm what started this a newspaper article?? Well another point i can add to my reasons that Newspapers are only for stirring up crap and are WORTHLESS.

Leave a comment:

• Smoke20286
    replied
    Originally posted by Banana
    Oh things are good in Canada A?
    Well you know, God's country and all that

Leave a comment:

• lutan1
    replied
    Oh I am relaxed. We can't work out, so thats all I can actually do right now
    hehehe!

I'll pay that- bad choice of words on my part!

Leave a comment:

• Banana
    replied
    Oh things are good in Canada A?

Leave a comment:

• Smoke20286
    replied
    On the up side Banana your union could use this quite effectivly to force the city to provide its members with free gym memberships. Of course thats easy for me to say, we have free memberships AND equipment in the stations

Leave a comment:

• Banana
    replied
    Relax Banana!
    Oh I am relaxed. We can't work out, so thats all I can actually do right now. I see your point as far as liability, but this is not a "company" it is a fire department where firefighters need to be fit and should be encouraged, not discouraged from working out.

At a time when fire departments world wide are instituting a mandatory fitness program, Clifton goes in the opposite direction by banning work outs.
    It's just rediculous and it makes no sense.

Thats all I have to say about that...

Leave a comment:

• lutan1
    replied
    Thanks for playing the always entertaining game of devils advocate, but put a sock in it! The fitness equipment has been in the firehouses for nearly as long as they have stood. However, the fact is there is NO documentation of firefighters being hurt while working out while on duty in Clifton.
    Relax Banana!

I'm merely explaining why the company I work for, went down this path. Initially there was an uproar, just like it appears is happening in Clifton, but once it was explained properly and everyone took a big breath and looked at the background and the POTENTIAL problems- they accepted it....

I further went on to give an example of how we attempted to address the fitness issue with an alternative, and far safer conclusion- maybe you should try that....

Leave a comment:

• Banana
    replied
    originally posted by lutan1
    To play devil's advocate here for a minute... This creates a mine field for workers compensation as they could hurt themselves whilst using the equipment and we would be liable as it occurred at work,
    Thanks for playing the always entertaining game of devils advocate, but put a sock in it! The fitness equipment has been in the firehouses for nearly as long as they have stood. However, the fact is there is NO documentation of firefighters being hurt while working out while on duty in Clifton. Although there IS documentation of firefighters being injured during firefighter training. Does that mean we should no longer train to avoid getting hurt??? Lets see now if on the job injuries go up, now that work outs have been banned.
    It is a good idea to have the equipment there to encourage the men to stay active and fit. If someone starts working out at work, it is possible that person will keep the routine going while off duty.
    In 2003 when so much is known about heart attacks and staying fit, you think the city would encourage a work out program to avoid having to pay for a line of duty death (which is substantially more than a line of duty injury).
    But then again, that's Clifton, where things are different and the normal laws of physics just don't apply...
    "Welcome to Clifton. A city that cares."
    (about what, we have no idea)

Leave a comment:

• lutan1
    replied
    To play devil's advocate here for a minute- I'm an OHS professional with a an emergency services background.

Now, the pharmaceutical company I work for recently removed all gymnasium equipment from their sites due to the inherent risk associated with the use of this equipment.

The issue for us is that staff could go in at anytime and use the equipment- untrained AND unsupervised.

This creates a mine field for workers compensation as they could hurt themselves whilst using the equipment and we would be liable as it occurred at work, in our time. Further to this, under our health and safety legislation, the employer is liable for not providing supervision and training to staff who use the equipment.

In response to the concerns raised by staff of not being able to use the equipment and get fit- we approached a chain of local gyms and negotiated a really good discount rate for them to be able to go there and be properly trained and supervised. (At their own expense- not ours)

Leave a comment:

• KyleWickman
    replied
    ...And Bill Lavin is GREAT guy!

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader