No announcement yet.

Clifton, NJ firefighters upset at order to remove gym equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has just happened to me at my place of work. I work in what you would call a disptach centre. the very nature of the job means we sit at workstations for each and every one of out 6 day, 10 hour shifts. We have a well equipped gym in the building, which is used by many people, for aerobic exercise or weightlifting. The management wanted space to put a new office in and decided that the gym was the ideal place, expect there is'nt anywhere else for the equipment to go. "Not our concern", is the reply, even when it has been pointed out that the organisation does not own the equipment, that was paid for by subsciptions, they only own the room it is/was in. So much for trying to stay fit to do you job.

This and the start of this thread are just further examples of the "all take and no give" attitude that prevails amongst some employers.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Comment

Re: VERY HAZARDOUS!

Originally posted by Grit76
      Let me just give you another example of how hazardous exercise equip can be. I had my kids with my in my firehouse gym while I was rehabbing after one of my knee operations. After the treadmill, I moved to weights. My son asked if he could go on the treadmill, and I said OK at a low speed. Well I forgot to say don't touch any other buttons. He pushed the "up incline" button, and the dern thing was just far enough under the wall mirror to start to peel it off the wall. Out of the corner of me eye, I see something amiss (brain hadn't yet processed what). So reach out instinctively, and wind up catching this mirror panel (probably 2' x 5') before it crashes down on the little guy. Had to fix it myself, but no injuries.

That near miss will never happen in Clifton
      I'm glad your son is OK.

BUT...it was a stupid thing for you to do. It wasn't the exercise equipment's fault.

It might interest you to know that most (if not all) federal LEO agencies get one hour each day for physical training. Most guys belong to a health club and use it every day. The goal is to produce and maintain healthy agents. Ever see a fat FBI agent?

Give the union a chance. They are pretty powerful. Tommy Canzanella is a good guy. They will win this.
      PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

Re: VERY HAZARDOUS!

Originally posted by Grit76
        Let me just give you another example of how hazardous exercise equip can be. I had my kids with my in my firehouse gym while I was rehabbing after one of my knee operations. After the treadmill, I moved to weights. My son asked if he could go on the treadmill, and I said OK at a low speed. Well I forgot to say don't touch any other buttons. He pushed the "up incline" button, and the dern thing was just far enough under the wall mirror to start to peel it off the wall. Out of the corner of me eye, I see something amiss (brain hadn't yet processed what). So reach out instinctively, and wind up catching this mirror panel (probably 2' x 5') before it crashes down on the little guy. Had to fix it myself, but no injuries.

That near miss will never happen in Clifton
        Let me first say that I'm glad your son is ok, that sure was a close call. But I do have to say that it isn't the equipment's fault. That treadmill shouldn't have been that close to the mirror as to fall down when you used the incline. You should always check the equipment before you use it. Follow that general rule and most of the accidents that happen with gym equipment wouldn't happen. Everyone should also be checked by a doctor to make sure you're able to use the equipment, and you should be showed the proper way to use it beforehand, it would also prevent most injuries.
        "At one point we decided to fight fire with fire, basically your house just burned faster."

Recipient of the IACOJ Service Award 2003.

Comment

No question, George & Army. I offer the story for both educational & amusement value. We were all younger & stupider at one time.

Comment

originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
            Give the union a chance. They are pretty powerful. Tommy Canzanella is a good guy. They will win this.

Canzanella belongs to PFANJ not NJFMBA. Clifton is FMBA Local 21, and not a member of PFANJ.
            www.FMBA21.org

Comment

...And Bill Lavin is GREAT guy!
              This space for rent

Comment

To play devil's advocate here for a minute- I'm an OHS professional with a an emergency services background.

Now, the pharmaceutical company I work for recently removed all gymnasium equipment from their sites due to the inherent risk associated with the use of this equipment.

The issue for us is that staff could go in at anytime and use the equipment- untrained AND unsupervised.

This creates a mine field for workers compensation as they could hurt themselves whilst using the equipment and we would be liable as it occurred at work, in our time. Further to this, under our health and safety legislation, the employer is liable for not providing supervision and training to staff who use the equipment.

In response to the concerns raised by staff of not being able to use the equipment and get fit- we approached a chain of local gyms and negotiated a really good discount rate for them to be able to go there and be properly trained and supervised. (At their own expense- not ours)
                Luke

Comment

originally posted by lutan1
                  To play devil's advocate here for a minute... This creates a mine field for workers compensation as they could hurt themselves whilst using the equipment and we would be liable as it occurred at work,
                  Thanks for playing the always entertaining game of devils advocate, but put a sock in it! The fitness equipment has been in the firehouses for nearly as long as they have stood. However, the fact is there is NO documentation of firefighters being hurt while working out while on duty in Clifton. Although there IS documentation of firefighters being injured during firefighter training. Does that mean we should no longer train to avoid getting hurt??? Lets see now if on the job injuries go up, now that work outs have been banned.
                  It is a good idea to have the equipment there to encourage the men to stay active and fit. If someone starts working out at work, it is possible that person will keep the routine going while off duty.
                  In 2003 when so much is known about heart attacks and staying fit, you think the city would encourage a work out program to avoid having to pay for a line of duty death (which is substantially more than a line of duty injury).
                  But then again, that's Clifton, where things are different and the normal laws of physics just don't apply...
                  "Welcome to Clifton. A city that cares."
                  (about what, we have no idea)

Comment

Thanks for playing the always entertaining game of devils advocate, but put a sock in it! The fitness equipment has been in the firehouses for nearly as long as they have stood. However, the fact is there is NO documentation of firefighters being hurt while working out while on duty in Clifton.
                    Relax Banana!

I'm merely explaining why the company I work for, went down this path. Initially there was an uproar, just like it appears is happening in Clifton, but once it was explained properly and everyone took a big breath and looked at the background and the POTENTIAL problems- they accepted it....

I further went on to give an example of how we attempted to address the fitness issue with an alternative, and far safer conclusion- maybe you should try that....
                    Luke

Comment

Relax Banana!
                      Oh I am relaxed. We can't work out, so thats all I can actually do right now. I see your point as far as liability, but this is not a "company" it is a fire department where firefighters need to be fit and should be encouraged, not discouraged from working out.

At a time when fire departments world wide are instituting a mandatory fitness program, Clifton goes in the opposite direction by banning work outs.
                      It's just rediculous and it makes no sense.

Thats all I have to say about that...

Comment

On the up side Banana your union could use this quite effectivly to force the city to provide its members with free gym memberships. Of course thats easy for me to say, we have free memberships AND equipment in the stations
                        A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Comment

Oh things are good in Canada A?

Comment

Oh I am relaxed. We can't work out, so thats all I can actually do right now
                            hehehe!

I'll pay that- bad choice of words on my part!
                            Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Banana
                              Oh things are good in Canada A?
                              Well you know, God's country and all that
                              A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Comment

STUPID POLITICIANS biggest babies EVER!!!!

I know of fire dpeartments and police departments that set aside an hour for workouts each shift. If you get hurt working out it is your own damn fault anyways. How many gyms are sued every year for someone having a heartattack or getting injured while working out? I never have.

Don't quote me on saying this i am not 100% sure on this information but it is worth looking into for an argument. I believe the NFPA has set a standard or suggestion or something that the NFPA does stating that the fire department make available to their members access to equipment for firefighter exercise. So if they take the equipment away then they need to buy all of its members memverships to a gym or club. Hmmmm what would be cheaper.

And what does your city of Clifton think that you will be working the full 24hrs? Are they nuts? Sleep time? Will they take away your beds too for sleeping on the job?

Hmmmm what started this a newspaper article?? Well another point i can add to my reasons that Newspapers are only for stirring up crap and are WORTHLESS.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X