Chipola Junior College Fire Academy: 20% Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipola Junior College Fire Academy: 20% Ball

On July 21, 2003, I started the fire academy at Chipola Junior College, Marrianna, Florida.

I have been doing very well in the class so far. I have passed every test by better than average. I can also pass the airpack and bunker gear drills.

There is a little class joke that Chief Fowler has with us. There is something that Cheif calls the 20% ball. It is basically a tennis ball that has 20% written on it with marker. You have to carry it around with you wherever you go while in class. The ball means that you give only 20% and the rest of you isn't worth a damn. Chief gives it to someone who either keeps screwing up or has a smart mouth. Chief Fowler gave a ball out on the 2nd day of class to someone for making a smart comment.

Today we had a substitute teacher named Mr. Meadows. Towards the end of class, Mr. Meadows was BSing with us and he said something about the 20% ball. Mr. Meadows said he had another one and that we could see it if we wanted to. I said 'Sure, let's see it' without thinking about what I was saying or what he had said. Mr Meadows went to get the ball out of the office and handed it to me.

Now I am stuck with a 20% ball. I am basically branded as a screw up now. I'm not really upset with him giving me the ball, it's just going to be hard to carry it while doing PT.

Hey Kris, want to take the ball of my hands???
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Live and learn!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Look at in another way. It has been said that 20 percent of a workforce does 80 percent of the work. Consider yourself one of the 20 percent that actually does something.
      Northeast Fire Photos

Comment

Or take the sting out while building class morale and unity: Buy enough tennis balls to equip the entire class! Mark them as 110%, as you are all giving 110% to being FF!

Comment

I don't think so. Cheif would probably run the crap out of us for that.
          TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
          EMT GEMS
          CPT/EMT MVFD
          Proud Member of IACOJ
          9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse