Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThNozzleman
    replied
    Appreciate it, hwoods; that has always been my logical conclusion, anyway. The IC, during size-up/walk-around should note the shape of the structure and make a quick sketch of it. The main reason I ask is that we are in the process of updating our preplans and putting them on disk so that we can use laptops in the field.

Leave a comment:

• CrossBro1
    replied
    Typically we use the address side of the building to designate "A" and then clockwise assigning "B, C, and D."

Leave a comment:

• pumper41
    replied
    Here in New South Wales, Australia we use the A-B-C-D system starting from the street front and going around the building clockwise. If more than one street front, ie the building is on a street corner and has two frontages, the one with the main entrance is "A". Vertical levels are designated numerically.

Leave a comment:

• Roofhook
    replied
    As the SCFA teaches ICS, we use the ABCD designation for horizontal sides of an incident and the 1234 designation for vertical indications. This information comes from the FEMA/USFA/NFA-ICS Student manual.
    Its pretty close to what Hwoods was descibing except we drop the side 1 quadrant A to designate the left front corner and call it the A-B corner...if it was a multistory structure the same corner on the 3rd floor would be designated Division 3 A-B corner.
    Like I said before, whatever works for your department.
    Just as long as its consistant.
    Last edited by Roofhook; 07-31-2003, 05:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    And Now....

To answer Bob's question, If a building has an unusual shape we burn it down so it can be replaced with a rectangle JUST KIDDING. Using the number system with 1,2,3,4, covering the rectangle or square building, we add a number as needed, for instance, an "L" shaped building can have sides 5 and 6. Hope that clears it up. Stay Safe....

Leave a comment:

• MattyJ
    replied
    We also break down the exposures furthur. The building two doors down on exposure 2 would be exposure 2a, 3 doors down would be 2b and so on. Same thing on exposure 3 or 4 ( 4a, 4b etc.) In a taxpayer it would be the same Exposure 1,2,3,4 but the occupancy ( individual stores) are 0 fire store, 0-2 adjoining store to exposure 2 side exposure 0-2a would be 2 stores down from fire store to the left etc.. 0-4 would be store to right of fire store 0-4a would be 2 stores down, 0-4b would be 3 stores to right of fire store etc....
    Not too hard once you learn it, but most of time we just refer to the name or type of store we are talking about

Leave a comment:

• ThNozzleman
    replied
    Say you have a large structure in the shape of a "U", "H", or "L"...do you continue on with giving each side or section a letter/number? Or, do you consider a building of any layout to have only four sides (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta) and superimpose a rectangle over the layout? For example, how would one designate "sides" on the Pentagon? We pretty much use the ABCD method, regardless of the shape or layout of the structure. This often leads to confusion on larger buildings that are not rectangular in layout.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    A Law Unto Ourselves......

The front of a building is side 1. Side 1 is the address side 98% of the time. side 2 is to the left or clockwise from side 1, side 3 is the rear, etc. Following this, the building is divided into quadrants A,B,C,D, Facing the structure on side 1, Quadrant A is to your left in front, Quadrant B is behind it, Quadrant C is right rear, Etc. We use our own phonic terms, as: Adam ,Baker, Charlie, David, Edward, Frank, Etc. rather than the AAPCO Public Safety Code (Alpha, Bravo, Etc.) which sounds like World War II movie language (to me, anyway). As to referencing a National Standard, if there is one, I'm not aware of it, and I don't care anyway. Stay Safe....

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    What or whose ICS manaul are you using ?

Leave a comment:

• Roofhook
    replied
    Per the ICS manual
    Sides are labeled A-B-C-D with the A side being the front or address side and then following a clockwise direction to label the remaining sides
    Divisions are numbered 1-2-3-4 as required with 1st division being the ground level.
    But however it works best for your department as long as you are consistant

Leave a comment:

• WTFD10
    replied
    Originally posted by Weruj1
    we do it like snowball ..............however the local big city does it like cdfeng3
    Actually since they went through accreditation, they now use A, B, C & D. (And since we usually copy what they do, we switched during this past year from numbers to letters.)

I agree with Capt. Gonzo, phonetics should be used to avoid confusion between B, C & D.

I prefer numbers myself but I can see where it would get confusing when divisions are included.

To answer the original questions, most departments around here use the address side for Side A and work around clockwise.

Leave a comment:

• hfd66truck
    replied
    We use numbers currently, but the whole County Mutual Aid system is switching to the National Fire Academy way of letters.

One thing though...I don't know of any system that operates other than the clockwise way, does anyone else?

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    we do it like snowball ..............however the local big city does it like cdfeng3

Leave a comment:

• mdoddsjffhnfc
    replied
    The "A" side of the building is usually the address side, then it goes clockwise B C D.

Leave a comment:

• E40FDNYL35
    replied
    We use 1 2 3 4 in our size-ups
    In our report to dispatch....or in our fire ground ht
    exposer 1 is the street, 2 a similar attached, 3 a rear yard and 4 a similar attached

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X