Quick Question regarding sides of a structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Now....

To answer Bob's question, If a building has an unusual shape we burn it down so it can be replaced with a rectangle JUST KIDDING. Using the number system with 1,2,3,4, covering the rectangle or square building, we add a number as needed, for instance, an "L" shaped building can have sides 5 and 6. Hope that clears it up. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

As the SCFA teaches ICS, we use the ABCD designation for horizontal sides of an incident and the 1234 designation for vertical indications. This information comes from the FEMA/USFA/NFA-ICS Student manual.
      Its pretty close to what Hwoods was descibing except we drop the side 1 quadrant A to designate the left front corner and call it the A-B corner...if it was a multistory structure the same corner on the 3rd floor would be designated Division 3 A-B corner.
      Like I said before, whatever works for your department.
      Just as long as its consistant.
      Last edited by Roofhook; 07-31-2003, 06:02 PM.
      "where is my second due?"
      I.A.C.O.J. 2003

Comment

Here in New South Wales, Australia we use the A-B-C-D system starting from the street front and going around the building clockwise. If more than one street front, ie the building is on a street corner and has two frontages, the one with the main entrance is "A". Vertical levels are designated numerically.

Comment

Typically we use the address side of the building to designate "A" and then clockwise assigning "B, C, and D."

Comment

Appreciate it, hwoods; that has always been my logical conclusion, anyway. The IC, during size-up/walk-around should note the shape of the structure and make a quick sketch of it. The main reason I ask is that we are in the process of updating our preplans and putting them on disk so that we can use laptops in the field.
            Member IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X