Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goggles - stored on your helmet or in your pocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goggles - stored on your helmet or in your pocket?

Getting ready to order a traditional helmet with goggles (for use during extrication work) & wanted to see what those of you who wear goggles prefer...the goggles attached to the helmet with a retaining system or carrying them in your pocket.

I've heard arguments both ways as to which is better so give me your input..what you like, what you don't like, maybe even what brand helmet you have.

Thanks for the help...Stay Safe.

In the pocket.

I have a cairns 1010 traditional, and I use goggles for rescue work and sometimes for some real dirty overhaul. I always keep them in my pocket because it keeps them from getting scratched as bad. I don't know if I'm a klutz or what, but I hit my head on everything when I'm wearing a helmet. I can see the advantages of putting them on your helmet, but I can't stand scratched goggles, so put them in your pocket. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Stay safe brother,

Matt
    "At one point we decided to fight fire with fire, basically your house just burned faster."

Recipient of the IACOJ Service Award 2003.

Comment

I put my safety glasses in a soft case above the suspention in my helmet. They don't get in the way and are available when I need them.

Comment

I tried goggles for a while. Never found a helmet-mounted pair I liked, including ESS which was my favorite overall.

I like having the shield to protect my face, and then for eye protection wear some nice safety glasses I keep in a case in my "radio pocket."

So anyway, for eye protection, I'd keep them safe in a pocket or in a case. I hate scratched up goggles/lenses.
        God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
        Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
        Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

If the reason for carrying the goggles is extrication work, I say put them in your pocket, they are better protected that way. However if you need google's for eye protection at non SCBA use fires (eg wildland etc) your helmet is the best place. Really it's one of those things where you have to try the options and work it out yourself. As for myself, in my career job, the goggles live in a brush coat pocket because I have a faceshield on my dept supplied Bullard helmet which I must use. As far as my vollie dept goes, I carry Bouton goggles (with some handy helmet clips) on my helmet (no faceshield) because of the higher comparitive incidence of wildland fires that my vollie dept attends vs my career dept.
          Last edited by pumper41; 07-30-2003, 01:53 AM.

Comment

What's the quickest?......

What's the quickest, handiest, most accessable, most visible spot for goggles? On the Helmet, of course. Running over a thousand calls a year, I beat the heck out of gear, including my white 1010 with helmet mounted goggles. I haven't had a problem with scratches though, but I do avoid doing stupid things with my head, like walking into a Fire that you should be crawling into. Show me someone who melted their goggles to their helmet, and I'll show you someone who did not understand the laws of physics. Heat Rises. While you're trying to pull your goggles out and put them on, I'll have the door popped, and the posts cut. Stay Safe....
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I guess that is what I was trying to say in my post Chief HW. For extrication use, you usually have a little time to remove goggles from a pocket and put them on, at fires it's a case of stretch that google strap over the helmet brim and get those goggles over your eye's because time is short.

Comment

I prefer safety glasses in my turnout pocket.

I didn't like the goggles, plus they are around $50, the glasses are $5. Our dept. is about 50/50 between the two. Anyone that gets hot and sweaty just looking at an extrication wears the safety glasses.

My opinion.......and I put them on before I leave the truck (on MVA's) so time is not a factor. Works for me.

Comment

I keep mine in a goggle garage on the back of my helmet. The garage is a piece of black nomex that covers and protects them from scratching and heat..
                  It works pretty well with my ESS goggles.

Scott
                  www.miamivalleyfools.org

Comment

Keep my ESS in a pbi envelope with vlecro to seal up the sides...protects the googles from tar, sheetrock, and other gunk.

Comment

I carry my goggles in my mask bag, out of the way. I keep a nice pair of safety glasses in my coat pocket for easy access. I spidered the first set of goggles I had that came with my Cairnes 1010 because of high heat. And yes HW I stayed low because I do understand the laws of physics. However the fire was pretty hot!!
                      Last edited by DeltaEngine7; 07-28-2003, 10:21 PM.
                      Jeff Eaton
                      GFD
                      FTM-PTB Central NC Chapter
                      IAFF Local 947

Comment

Thought mine were spidered too.. scrub em, whatever it is comes off with a little work, I thought mine were trash too, they look fine.

Comment

1010, on the helmet flipped behind it for easy deployment. Ome of our guys has some kind of case and has reflective striping on it that looks sharp.......
                          IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                          Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                          "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                          http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

trial and error

I agree with whoever said try it different ways. You will find what works best for you. I have the ESS goggles with the quick connect helmet mount system on a 1010. If you read the directions that come with the goggles Ess does not recomend storing them on your helmet, but they also say if you do store them there do not pull the straps tight because it will misshape the goggles and they won't fit right. I also purchased a set of tear off lens covers for mine so far so good.I leave them lay in my locker and grab them depending on the type of call as for time consuming I put them on in the engine while responding just like air pack and radio and handlight.

Comment

Our ***'t Chief feels that everyone needs to put their goggles on the back of their helmet, not the front. If it's on the front you can read the helmet front. He jumped all over a guy shortly after we got them for having his goggles on the front of his helmet.(???) So, everyone has their goggles on the back of our Ben Franklin II's except me. I have them in my bunker pants pocket. I found out real quick you gotta take your helmet off, bring the goggles down instead of pulling them up and over because the straps were not long enough. I tried to explain this to #2 but he wouldn't change things. I found that if you have them on your helmet, they do get kinda stretched out and get dirty and full of junk from overhaul.

Keep you head down and your powder dry.
                              Jason Knecht
                              Firefighter/EMT
                              Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                              Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                              http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                              EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250