Flat load vs. accordian hose load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My two cents

Whatever load you choose remember this. The most important aspect of a hose load is how well it works when you deploy it. Too many people worry about using a load that is easy to put in the bed. 99% if us aren't busy enough to be concerned with how fast we can put the hose in the bed. It is how quickly we can stretch the hose that counts.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Comment

We use flat lay in the hose bed and triple lay for the cross lays/pre connect 1 3/4
      nrz2334
      Just my view

I would rather push my Seagrave than drive your Pierce!!

TNT Rescue The Best!!!!!!!

Comment

We use a flat load for the LDH and 2.5" line in the hose bed and a triple-fold for 1.75" preconnects. For some reason, the powers that be did not spec a 2.5" preconnect when they bought the truck 10 years ago. To give us some sort of 2.5" attack line that's ready to use, we have 150' horseshoe loaded with a nozzle onto an old spine board in one of the cabinets.
        sigpic

Comment

We do a split 600 ft 3" flat load forward lay. Our preconnects are 1 3/4" Triple lay 1 200ft 1 150 ft. We also have a 200 ft 2 1/2 preconnect.

Comment

Let's see...

All of our crosslays are 200' Minuteman loads (flat, of course), some 1.75" line and some 2" line. Our engine's LDH load (1800 ft. of 5") and rear extension line (200' of 2") are flat straight-loads, while the rear 2.5" line (200') and front trash line (100') are flat triple-loads. On the tanker-pumpers, the LDH loads (400' of 5") are horseshoe loads and the crosslays (200' of 2") are Minuteman loads.

We've got almost everything except accordian loads covered...and I can't remember the last time I saw an accordian load on anything other than antiques in parades.

Comment

Actually, my first department still uses the accordian load for the 3-inch supply line. The hose beds on two of their pumpers are very shallow. Accordian loading two layers of 3" seems to allow the maximum amount of supply hose.
              sigpic

Comment

We do have one more accordian lay other than the trash line, 800' of 5" LDH in the hose bed of the tower. Its the only we can load it due to the hose chute. Other than hose testing it's only come off once, and it was a real bitch getting it back on the truck at oh-dark-thirty in the AM after a good defensive op.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X