Clear All

• Gx7E10
    replied
    Great Job /thumbsup.

Leave a comment:

• Neman13
    replied
    Amerteks Rule

Hey Army- I have heard of the Amerteks. They are really great truck as long as you dont have to fight any fire in them. It was a poor cheeper copy of the P-19. As you can see for your self they are Junk. I would take a AS32 P-19A or a P-23 any day of the week. Oskosh has some tried and true Crask Trucks. Starting with the MB-1. Hows the food? Are you on day on stay on or do you have some free time? If you have free time what do you all do, to pass the time that is. Any good Beach Volly ball games? You guys take care of one another overthere. Be Safe. Neman

Leave a comment:

• Quigger
    replied
    hi and thank you for what your doing over there.
    the question that i have is do guys get any kind of weapons? if you cant answer thats ok.

Leave a comment:

• Armyfirerescue
    replied
    Reply to E40FDNYL35

E40FDNYL35 - I wanted to mention that I read the book that's on E40/L35 and I really enjoyed it. I'm sure you've heard all this over and over again, but I'll say it anyway. In everything surrounding 9/11, I think people have fallen into the whole "statistic" thing. Where they just think, yeah 343 firefighters died in the World Trade Center. They don't stop to think that each and every one of them had a family. A mother, a father, sister, wife, kids. They also forget the fact that every single firefighter in the world was their brother. They don't think that all of us felt an unimaginable loss that day, even if some didn't know any of the firefighters (I knew two brothers that were lost). Well, I hope I havn't overstated myself. I just wanted to let you know that I loved the book about your company, and that my thoughts and prayers are still with the families and all of you there, even almost two years after the attacks.

Respectfully,

Matt

Leave a comment:

• captstanm1
    replied
    I just wanted to jump in here and say hello and thanks for what you are doing. God Bless all of you and keep you safe.

The first two folks to welcome you are very well respected in the forum and I echo thier comments and accolades.

In a rush right now...but am sure I will have some questions.

Stan

Leave a comment:

• Armyfirerescue
    replied
    Response capabilities

REPLY TO NJFFSA16

Ed, here are the answers to your questions.
    1. Right now we are in the process of training Iraqi civilians that used to be firefighters at the airport. They have had almost no formal training, and havn't worked here since the end of the first war. We are actually living and working out of their old fire station. Once all their crews are up and ready (total about 90 firefighters) then we will hand over another station to them. They are currently in the process of dividing the airport into a military side and a civilian side. Obviously we'll protect the military side, and the civilian runway will be protected by the Iraqi firefighters. We've already trained one group of about 20, and we're working with the second group now.

2. Our apparatus (when everything is in service, which isn't very often) consists of 4 Amertek Macy 2500L's. Nobody has ever heard of them, but they are a combination crash truck and structural truck. We also have two 6,000 gallon water tankers and 5 HUMMVEE's. We use the hummers for chief vehicles, rescue vehicles, and special service vehicles. We are currently working with the US Air Force as well. They supply 3 P-19 crash trucks, and two brush vehicles. We also have three comandeered Iraqi Somati crash trucks. We support both of the runways, and all of the military assets on the base, which is large. Military fixed wing aircraft and helos. There are also humanitarian aircraft that land on the civilian side.

3. You're right, I need to pick my words carefully to answer this question. Suffice it to say that we are always protected in some way. The only thing we'll usually have to worry about is the fire. I use the term "usually" loosely.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. I will be submitting lots of pictures to the "In Quarters" section of firehouse. Figure it'd be nice for people to see how we live over here.

Matt

Leave a comment:

• NJFFSA16
    replied
    Matt, so good of you to check in! Thank you for everything you and the troops do for our great country! BE SAFE!!

First question; are local firefighting resources back on line, and what capabilities do they offer?

Second question; What engines/trucks/equipment are staged at the airport complex, and what are the limits of your response area? Do you only support local resources, or are you totally responsible for all initial attack?

Third; What security measures take place to protect the firefighting crews during response? If you are unable to answer that...we understand.

Ed Seifert
    NJ Forest Fire-Engine A16
    Oakland, NJ

Leave a comment:

• E40FDNYL35
    replied
    WELCOME BROTHER AND THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO.

Leave a comment:

• Armyfirerescue
    started a topic Baghdad Intl Airport Fire/Rescue

Baghdad Intl Airport Fire/Rescue

Hey, my name is Matt and I'm currently deployed to Baghdad International Airport with the US Army as a firefighter. I have plenty of time on my hands, and very bored working alarm room shifts. I figured I'd start a thread on here to give information about what it's like fighting fire in Iraq. Anybody can ask questions, and I will answer to the best of my ability and to the extent that I can. You all know about "privalaged information" so I don't have to tell you. Please, respond to this thread and give me something to do on these long, boring 12 hour long stints sitting on a chair staring at a computer. Thanks!

Spc. Matthew Hulme
    US Army Fire/Rescue

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X