X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emt933
    replied
    Hey

Hey...I just wanted to tell you how much you'll mean to me...The service men over there are not only fighting for their lives, but for ours too and people they don't even know...You'll are doing such a great job...Good Job....Be Careful.....But anyways i have a best friend overseas right now he was at the baghdad international airport...He said it gets really hot over there..So, i can only imagine how hot it would be with all the fire gear over there....What types of equipment do you'll have over there? and what kinds of engines, and tankers (what size)...Well, i just wanted to send you this little thank you mesage....Be Careful...If you have yahoo messenger you can find me on there misti_girl_2002 on yahoo...well, i hope to talk to you soon.....Be Careful...Take Care...Misti

Leave a comment:

• SANDSTROMJM
    replied
    Hope this is OK to post here

U.S. Has Process in Place for Iraqis to Make Damage Claims

By Jim Garamone
    American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 4, 2003 - The United States will pay Iraqi claims for damages that are caused by the negligent or wrongful acts of U.S. soldiers, coalition officials said in Baghdad Aug. 3.

As of July 31, American officials have already adjudicated 1,496 claims and paid 1,168 in the amount of $262,945. Some 2,517 claims have been made against the United States.

The claims are made under the Foreign Claims Act, which provides that the military may pay claims for the wrongful or negligent acts of its forces to inhabitants of foreign countries who file claims. Military commissions adjudicate these claims. In Iraq, there are 31 Foreign Claims Commissions. At brigade level, a military lawyer or judge can award damages up to $2,500. At division level, a lawyer or judge can award up to $15,000 in damages. At the Combined Joint Task Force 7 level, a three-person panel can award up to$50,000.

Claims that exceed $50,000 are sent to U.S. Army Claims Service for
    adjudication, officials said.

Every claim made is looked at individually, officials said. The panels examine whether the Foreign Claims Act applies to the claim and ask "is it (the claim) for the negligent or wrongful act of a member of the force; is it in an amount certain, and most importantly, is it for something other than the combat activity of United States forces," said a task force official in Baghdad.

"And this is a very key point," the official continued. "It's what is known as the combat exclusion, because under the Foreign Claims Act, consistent with the law of war and consistent with the practice of other nations, payments are not authorized for damage, for injury, for death that is the result of combat activities of U.S. forces."

While President Bush declared major combat operations over on May 1, low-intensity combat operations continue. Damage caused by these operations may not be remunerated.

Officials said the claims paid so far are for property loss or damage. They said there are probably "wrongful death" claims in the system that have not been adjudicated yet. Officials will use the traditions of Iraq to set the damages paid for wrongful death.

The burden of proof is on the claimant to prove he suffered a loss and what the value is. "Ways of doing that would be statements from other individuals -- if they have receipts, photographs," officials said. "If it's serious enough, there may be a military investigation done on it."

If the claimant is not satisfied with the decision, there is an appeals process, officials said.

Leave a comment:

• E40FDNYL35
    replied
    Bed-Stuy to Baghdad,fire lieutenant digs in

By LAURA J. WINTER in Baghdad
    and CELESTE KATZ in New York
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS

When a fire alarm comes in - by word of mouth, since there are no radios or phones - the firefighters of al Thaora rush to duty in cotton shirts, polyester pants and plastic slip-on sandals.
    The only furniture in their Baghdad fire station, staffed by a rotating roster of 25 men, is a desk and a few chairs. A local man often brings his 50 goats to graze nearby, and the animals leave droppings in the bunk room as they search for food.
    A New York City fire lieutenant at home, Army Capt. Joseph Duggan, 36, of Breezy Point, Queens, has been in Baghdad since May 3, picking out paint colors, installing lights and windows, and fighting to get the firefighters what they desperately need: radios, phones and protective gear.
    Right now, "They have to wait for someone to run up to them and tell them there is a fire," Duggan said. "These guys are not going to get there in time to save their house, maybe their neighbors' houses."
    And when they head to a blaze, he said, "They have no boots, no helmets, no jackets. One of the captains has scarred hands because they don't have any gloves. ... As far as I'm concerned, they can't do the job."
    Duggan, a 12-year FDNY veteran, formerly worked with Ladder 176 in Brooklyn. He was promoted to lieutenant and was transferred before being activated and deployed to the Middle East.
    "I worked in Ladder 6 Battalion, Bedford-Stuyvesant," Duggan said. "That's congested, a poor neighborhood. Al Thaora is the ghetto of Baghdad."
    The fire station was stripped down, Duggan said, because it was a symbol of dictator Saddam Hussein's regime: "Everything was taken. And what they couldn't take, they broke. They would go out on a run and then they would be robbed."

So few resources

Added Army Maj. Joseph Sasso, 39: "We got the truck back from some people who drove it to the supermarket. They'd tried telling us that their brother was a firefighter [and] had lent it to them. Yeah, right."

They needed that truck badly.

"It's not like New York City, where you have a plethora of fire stations - 1.5 million people live here and they have one fire engine," said Sasso, who is from Canarsie, Brooklyn. "Imagine having one fire engine for the entire South Bronx."
    The head of al Thaora station, Maj. Adnan Hussein, said Duggan is doing all he can to get the firefighters what they need.
    "We know he cannot give us everything we need. I don't have to tell him what is needed," Adnan Hussein said. "He tries. He is a good man."
    He's also going to be a dad: Duggan is returning home for two weeks at the end of this month to be with his wife, Mary Ellen Duggan, when she gives birth to their first child.

Originally published on August 3, 2003

Leave a comment:

• Armyfirerescue
    replied
    NJFFSA16 - Thanks for the article. My unit stayed at that camp for about a week when we first flew in. We actually met the Kuwaiti firefighters for the airport. They are really good guys, there were a couple that spoke fairly good english. They envited us to come over and eat lunch with them, they were serving us tea all day long and watching MTV. They had a satelite hookup at the firehouse. They also watched "Everybody loves Raymond" in english, but with arabic subtitles. They would always get the punchline after us because they had to read it, so it would be us laughing, then them, it was a fun experience. Anyway, yeah, when those tempertents go up, they go up like a roman candle, and FAST! It doesn't take much to set them on fire, and they burn completely within like, 2 minutes. Fueled by the winds that we have all the time in the middle east, I'm surprised it only involved 21 tents. Well, thanks again for the article.

Stay safe,

Matt

Leave a comment:

• NJFFSA16
    replied
    Related News-Kuwait

I thought Matt would be interested in this related news. Apparently, no casualties reported yet. Be safe brother!

KUWAIT, July 31 (Reuters) - A fire swept through a U.S.
    military camp at Kuwait airport on Thursday, but the only
    casualties were soldiers suffering from smoke inhalation, the
    official Kuwaiti news agency KUNA reported.
    It was not clear what sparked the fire. There was no word on
    whether it could have been sabotage, though Kuwait has seen
    several attacks on the thousands of U.S. troops based in the
    oil-rich Gulf state for the war on neighbouring Iraq.
    KUNA said firefighters from five different brigades rushed
    to the scene and put out the blaze that swept through 21 tents
    housing offices which oversee the arrival and departure of U.S.
    troops at the airport.
    "The injuries were limited to light cases of smoke
    inhalation among American soldiers," the agency said, adding
    that strong winds caused the flames to spread rapidly.
    The blaze did not disrupt traffic at the airport, which is
    used for both civilian and military flights, it said.
    Kuwait was the launchpad for the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq
    in March. There were several attacks on Americans in the buildup
    to the war. A U.S. Marine was killed in October and an American
    civilian working for the military was gunned down in January.

Reut12:33 07-31-03

Leave a comment:

• ccvfd114
    replied
    Army my dad was in the USMC as a MP. and wish all your fellow firefghters good luck and god's speed form Cave City Fire department . do you all carry JAWS and outher auto rescue tools. I know them HUMVEE have to be a pain in the but to cut up. Take it easy

Leave a comment:

• captstanm1
    replied
    Thanks Matt...I wondered if you worked the same shift as I did when I was a GS8 on a military base Fire Department.

What are you using for PPE, SCBA and helmets?

Leave a comment:

• Armyfirerescue
    replied
    captstanm1 - Our level of staffing is about 40 FF's. Mixed Army and Air Force. I can't give you an exact number. The army works with the following rank structure. We have a 1st LT who acts as our fire marshal, we have a SFC who is our fire chief. We have a SSG who is our deputy chief, and we have two shift captains, who are SGT's. The Air Force works on a different system, and we don't fall under them. We have two shifts that work 24 on 24 off and work out of a main station with one sub-station. We use 1 1/2" attack lines with some TFT nozzles, but most of our nozzles are off-brand and don't even have a pistol grip. They suck. Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Dickey - We work independant of the Iraqis, but overall they would fall under us, they lack the experience to work independantly as of yet.

Stay safe brothers,

Matt

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    Thanks for filling us in on your activities in Iraq. Its pretty interesting stuff.

Leave a comment:

• captstanm1
    replied
    I scanned back through the thread....

Here are some questions:

1 What is your level of staffing?
    2 Do you have different shifts or all you all (same folks) just there 24/7....
    3 What is your Fire Department Rank Structure
    4 What are your attack lines and what kind of nozzles you using?

Again...thanks for all you do. I used to work on a military fire department as a Captain in Virginia before the base closed (BRAC) [Vint Hill Farms Station]

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    replied
    Just wanted to say thank you for all you and your company are doing. Watch your backside!!!

A Lieutenant on my department and a close friend of mine for many years is a firefighter in the Air Force Reserves based out of Minneapolis, MN who have been deployed over there someplace, I think it was the United Arab Emerites but I cannot be certain. We are very nervous about him, and all our troops, being over there especially our firefighting brothers and sisters.

I have but one question.....

How is your Command structure and chain of command set up? Do you have a "Chief" and other officers like we are used to here or are you working under the Iraqi system or Iraqi "Chief"???

All of you are in our thoughts and prayers. Watch your *** and get it back here in one piece. Thank you.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Leave a comment:

• Armyfirerescue
    replied
    mmmm....cold ones

Shoney6308 - On the subject of cold ones. Well, we have water that is cold, does that count? We have some non-alcoholic beer that is the most disgusting thing on earth, that's about it. We'll just have to wait till we're home to kick back and enjoy a real cold one.

DeltaEngine7 - I have not heard of Maj. Gerald, but if I come across him I will make sure I let him know his fire dept. is thinking of him.

gefd901 - There are alot of trans companies that come through here, but if I happen to see the 1175th, I'll ask if he's around and make sure to tell him that his mom says hi. Always happy to help, and I have alot of respect for our medics, they've helped me before.

Leave a comment:

• gefd901
    replied
    Matt
    Keep up the good work and stay safe.
    My son is a medic with the 1175th transportation company out of Brownsville TN. They have made several trips into Baghdad and have been to the airport at least twice. If you see a humvee that looks like this, ask for Doc, also known as 901.5, and then tell him that 901 says hello.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gefd901; 07-29-2003, 12:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jeepnmad198
    replied
    Dear Matt,
    First allow me to echo the praise of my fellow brothers, for the service that you provide is greatly appreciated. It takes a brave and bold man to be a fire fighter and even more so to do it in Iraq.
    With that said allow me to introduce myself. I am a 23 y/o from Pittsburgh Pa, I noticed you were from Pa, but did not recognize the name of the town. I am trying to establish myself in the world of the career fire fighter. I am quickly learning that it is a tuff competition for the open positions.
    I have given the military a thought, but have been reluctant to talk to a recruiter. I have heard of the military fire fighters and the training they receive. I had a few questions for you, seeing how you are already there.
    First, did you join the U.S. Army with the intent of becoming a fire fighter? If so how did it come about? Can you give me some advice on what questions to ask my recruiter? Are the fire positions in the military as difficult to get as they are in the civilian world? What should be my first step in a military fire-fighting career? I have a brother in the Air Force and that was the original branch I was looking into, I’m sure there are minor differences in the branches when it comes to fire fighting. Do you know of any pros and cons between the two?
    If you wouldn’t mind would you tell me a little about your self? Your age, where you are from, wife, kids, how long you have been in the service.
    Thank you Matt for your time and service. I am grateful for any information you can pass along. Please feel free to E-Mail me @ [email protected] - Joe

Leave a comment:

• Quigger
    replied
    Matt great pictures of your station! I like the last one the best lol. Keep up the great work you guys do over there and stay safe!

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X