• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ffcromer
    replied
    I feel for you!

Hey Army,
    I know what your going through. I was an Air Force firefighter for eight years. Spent some time in FRY (former Yugoslavia). My friend SSgt Painter(from Philly FD) is on the the Air Force side of Bagdad International right now. If you see him say hi for me. I'm now a Reserve Instructor at the DoD Fire Academy at Goodfellow at work at a city department outside of Dallas Tx. Sorry that you have to work with the 2500L. It is junk. If there is anything I can do for you let me know.

SSgt Cromer

Leave a comment:

• Armyfirerescue
    replied
    Hey everybody, I've almost been neglecting this post a little. First off E40L35, where did you get that picture, I could swear I know the Air Force guy on the right. He looks very familiar.
    Zippo99 - Nah, if we had to stand by at the LZ for every chopper or plane, we'd never be at the station, and never available for any other calls.
    MrFreeze - I was at goodfellow from January 2002-May 2002. Much after your time there. I notice you're at Ft. Wainright AK. You know any of the firefighters up there? I think one of the DS's from goodfellow was going up there after his time was up as a drill sergeant.
    Firechick76 - Thanks for your post, we do have some pretty big bugs over here, we got the black beetles that go crunch when you step on em, and make a big mess. We got plenty of camel spiders, they look prety cool though. I'm not bothered by much though, other people are somtimes.

Stay safe everybody,

Matt

Leave a comment:

• E40FDNYL35
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• firechick76
    replied
    Thank you...

Hi,

First and foremost I want to thank you and all the others over there that are risking life and limb every day. I have a few cousins in Iraq, one in Afghanistan, and one off the coast of Liberia. I pray for a safe return of all of you.
    I think its great the things you have been saying on here. It's good to hear some of this stuff. The media tends to sensationalize so many things it gets hard to listen to.
    Over this past weekend I got to see pictures from Iraq. One of my cousins just got back. Some of the bugs I saw in the pictures were HUGE! He said that when they dug holes in the sand to climb in to cool off the bugs and lizards would follow them in. I guess with temps as high as they are over there you tend not to be bothered by it too much and just deal with it.
    Stay safe and I hope you can all come home to the good ol’ USA soon! We are thinking of you all!

Take Care of yourself.
    Janelle

Leave a comment:

• rocket455
    replied
    Hey Matt:

First off wanted to thank you and all the fellow military for the jobs you guys are doing. Stay safe. I'm considering going into the Army. I've looked into the firefighting jobs. Would you recommend this as a good way to get the training and experience for a civilian job after the Army? Do you regret going into the military? Just wanted to ask someone that is there and not hear what the recruiter is painting.

Be safe and watch your 6.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• zippo99
    replied
    Hey, Matt,
    How are things down there.
    Question : Do you guys have to be stand-by at the LZ for every in-comming and out-going chopper or plain like we do (only choppers)?

Leave a comment:

• NJFFSA16
    replied
    Air Force FF's come home

EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. (AP) - Eighteen Eglin firefighters
    were transformed into war fighters when they arrived in Iraq
    shortly after combat began.
    The first Air Force firefighters sent into hostile territory are
    back in the Florida Panhandle nearly five months after they flew
    into a captured Iraqi air base.
    "We stepped off in Iraq, locked and loaded," said Airman 1st
    Class Carlos Martinez of Miami. "The whole team was nervous. We
    didn't know what to expect. We didn't know where we were going."
    While running for the cover inside dilapidated buildings,
    Martinez saw blown up tanks and other debris.
    "I thought I was dropped off in the wrong place," he said.
    "There was absolutely nothing there," said Staff Sgt. Christy
    M. Skerrett, one of two women on the team.
    No electricity, no latrines and nothing but MREs to eat. They
    rationed drinking water and slept on the ground for more than a
    week before cots arrived.
    Their first job was to clean sand from inside one of the
    buildings that served as their fire station.
    At the onset, the only water for fighting fires came on the two
    trucks they brought with them. They had to dig a trench to a river
    several miles away to get water they then stored in huge bladders.
    The firefighters took no hostile fire, but that didn't mean they
    could put down their guns. For the first couple weeks they covered
    each other while handling emergencies. They also had to wear
    chemical warfare suits under their bunker gear for the first month.
    "You feel like the Michelin man," said Martinez, holding his
    arms way out. "It restrained movement a lot. It was really hot and
    hard to put on."
    The team was busy throughout its deployment.
    "We had a few good fires and basically everything else was
    medevac," Martinez said.
    The firefighters had to drive 40 miles to douse a civilian
    tanker truck that had blown up. They also responded when a shot-up
    A-10 "Warthog" fighter made an emergency landing and helped treat
    wounded American and Iraqi soldiers as well as civilians.
    By the time the Eglin team left, the base had blossomed into a
    tent city. Generators provided electricity and there was a mess
    hall, gym, chapel and other amenities.
    The most vivid memories for Martinez, however, were of the first
    month or two. They made him appreciate even little things everyone
    takes for granted in the United States.
    He laughed and said, "I flushed the toilet like three times
    when I got home."
    ---
    Information from: Northwest Florida Daily News,
    http://www.nwfdailynews.com

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Leave a comment:

• MrFreeze
    replied
    Hooah!

When were you at GAFB? I went through in spring 97. Got there on Fri the 13th, sept 96 and went on f'in casual status 'til the end of jan when a class started.

Where were you stationed before the trip to the desert? You might have already posted that and I just missed it...

MACI's. What a POS.

Stay low, on shift or not......

Still a 51M at heart,
    Cpl. Logan
    3rd PLT HQ USAG FWA AK,
    where the women are missing teeth,
    the moose get in your yard,
    and guys get frostbite in places guys just shouldn't...

Leave a comment:

• zippo99
    replied
    Hi army,
    How is going over there, I hope you not taking to much heat.
    Well here is something to lightn' up your day.

Everytime a VIP is coming to the base by chopper, our squad has to be stand-by at the LZ.
    One day our secretary of defence was visiting our navybase, and we went to the landingzone.
    Once the chopper with the Secretary touched down, I had to get out of our firetruck, to salute him.
    2 squad members allready stood in attention, when I jumped out of the truck.
    I was wearing my firefightersbelt, and my axe got stuck on the chair.
    So there I hung, 2 feet from the ground saluting the seceretary.
    Everybody saw me hanging there, the welcomecommity, the gard of honor and the pilots.
    Well, I couldn't walk on the base without getting laughed at.
    Keep your head down and stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• SANDSTROMJM
    replied
    Are these near you????

American Forces Pull Hidden MiG fighters out of Iraqi Desert

By Kathleen T. Rhem
    American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 6, 2003 -- American forces have found Russian fighter jets buried in the Iraqi desert, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said in an Aug. 5 press briefing.

"We'd heard a great many things had been buried, but we had not known where they were, and we'd been operating in that immediate vicinity for weeks and weeks and weeks ... 12, 13 weeks, and didn't know they were (there)," Rumsfeld said.

The secretary said he wasn't sure how many such aircraft had been found, but noted, "It wasn't one or two."

He said it's a "classic example" of the challenges the Iraqi Survey Group is facing in finding weapons of mass destruction in the country.

"Something as big as an airplane that's within ... a stone's throw of where you're functioning, and you don't know it's there because you don't run around digging into everything on a discovery process," Rumsfeld explained. "So until you find somebody who tells you where to look, or until nature clears some sand away and exposes something over time, we're simply not going to know.

"But, as we all know," he added, "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

SEE PHOTOS AT:
    http://defendamerica.mil/photoessays...p080603b2.html

Leave a comment:

• Armyfirerescue
    replied
    zippo99 - Good to hear that you're so supportive of the US, it's great that other countries (especially the ones that aren't helping us) at least have people that support us. In answer to your question, yes, I am a trained firefighter. I went to Goodfellow AFB, TX to the DOD fire school there.

Stay safe brothers,

Matt

Leave a comment:

• zippo99
    replied
    Army,
    I have to admit that my government din't went along with the US and acualy agreed with the French, we had a lot of demonstrations at the US-ambassy here in Brussels.
    there was even a peaceoraganisation that filed a complaint against Genn. Franks, they wanted him to stand trial for Warcrimes against the Iraqui people.
    Anyway, let me tell you that in our Firefightingsquad are 5 bikers, and we all putt the Stars and Stripes on our bikes the day you guys started to clean up the mess.
    I got some good friends in the US-Navy and all around the States, and I'm DAM'N proud of it.

Question : are you a trained firefighter or is it a task the army ordered you to do ?

Stay safe
    Zippo

Leave a comment:

• Armyfirerescue
    replied
    Misti - To answer your questions, we have 4 Amertek 2500L structural/crash pumpers. We also have two 6000 gallon water tankers (but one is OOS, pump is bad)

FF7134 - We don't have any hydrant system whatsoever, they are working on getting one installed, right now we draft from a huge crater from a 2000 pound JDAM bomb that blew up a water main on the airport property. No sprinkler systems or standpipes in any of the buildings except the "hotel california" they have a dry standpipe system.

Zippo99 - Thanks for the message, I never thought the Belgians were against us. The French, I'm not so sure about.

Stay safe brothers (and sisters)

Matt

Leave a comment:

• zippo99
    replied
    Hey ARMY,
    Great job you guys did there. Thanks
    I'm a firefighter in the Belgian Navy.
    I wish we were there by your side like we did in '91.
    But once again our government ashamed us, you have to know, not all Belgians are against you.
    Stay safe.
    Jerry

Leave a comment:

• ff7134
    replied
    Army,
    First off, HOOYAH from a brother(fmr) Army man. Just wanted to say stay safe and get back soon.

Do you guys have a hydrant system for refilling your trucks??? And are their any fixed fire protection systems for the buildings around the airport?

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X