No announcement yet.

LDH planning and usage - longlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes and yes. I was just currious how much flow you'd get on that lay w/o help. Even 500gpm suplimented by tank water would get you a decent amount of knock down then enough to hold the fire down until you get a boost. We do carry a couple of 4-way hydrant valves here (I assume that's simular to your relay valve) but never lay them (spoiled by excellent hydrants and lots of 5").

As to the labor of 5" vs. 4", I've loaded a fair bit of both types and can't say there's all that much difference, they both are heavy and suck when they are dirty. With a reel I don't think you are allowed to use the heavy excuse .

We do lose a little hose bed capacity with the 5". Our tower has a 1000' 4" / 800' 5" bed, so we lose 200', but its a trade off well worth it since we have flown 1250gpm out our waterway (and the supply engine was maxed out, not sure how much more we could push) well above the capacity of the 4". The engines each carry 1200' of 5" but there is room for up to 1500' (not sure what that would do to our GVW's, might max them out).

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Comment

I personally could care if it's 4 or 5.As long as it's all the same.I'd rather have 5 for the extra fire flow but as I said,I'm up to my yazoo in 4",my crew HATES 5" and some days(today)it's not worth fighting over.I need more water,I put down another pipe.We've got some 5 coupled 4 and it's a MAJOR PITA.Now if I could just get these guys to get along.We need some sensitivity training.T.C.

Comment

It takes two guys 6 minutes and 30 seconds to lay all 8000 feet of five inch hose on our 2500 gpm Ferrara pumpers and flow water out the end. We flow 830 gpm with just one rig out of a portable monitor. With two in relay you only add 22% to the flow, a third rig adds just 11% more.

Comment

There are spacer made to increase the size of your hose bed to make them taller. This will allow for more to be place in the hose bed itself. Next point with the possiblity of 3500' lays your dept may consider, if they haven't already to place a second or mabe thrid engine or engine takner combo with some of the LDH on it. This will help you over come your friction loss in the long lays. If the other trucks were not needed they could be put to use elsewere on the fireground.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X