Hartford's 24 hour schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah, one more thing...

When they discuss OT savings that come with the 24 hour shift, they are usually refering to the fact that one shift change is eliminated, thus cutting down on holdover OT for calls close to shift change. There also tends to be a reduction in sick time, although this is sometimes shortlived.

A benefit to this schedule is that the Firefighter arrives to work in the morning, well rested (in theory) and is the care of the City for the next 24 hours. When working the split shift, the night shift guys usually show up after already having worked a full day in the side jobs. (Yes I said it, side jobs - a reality in this day and age if you want food on the table)

Comment

Originally posted by hfd66truck
      So Adze, if they got overtime for working the 3 on 3 off, what did they get?
      I'll have to get back to you on this one...I'll talk to someone and get the answer.
      IACOJ Agitator
      Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

Someone asked what did they get for giving up OT? They saved a whole bunch of jobs. The city wanted to lay off and this was a mutual answer to the problem. They used to get time and a half for any shift over their schedualed shift. Now they have to wait for FSLA to kick in.
        IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Comment

Thanks for the answer, Keith. I knew they got time and a half but I wasn't sure when it kicked in. Saves me the trouble of having to ask someone.
          IACOJ Agitator
          Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

No Problem Adze - Anytime! Actually a lot of depts around here are like that, West Hartford, New Britain...... It kind of stinks but oh well.
            IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Comment

sorry I know that this is off topic but I am trying to get in contact with gfowlston.

If anyone has a contact email it would be greatly appreciated, please send to [email protected]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X