Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Despite AnnDee Huber's death....some people just don't learn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despite AnnDee Huber's death....some people just don't learn!

Those who ignore history.....are doomed to repeat it! Case in point.

THERMOPOLIS, Wyo. (AP) - The city's fire chief, Mark Collins,
    had a blood-alcohol level well above the state's legal limit when
    he responded to a recent car fire at Hot Springs State Park, police
    said Monday.
    The allegation comes amid heightened concern about intoxicated
    firefighters in Wyoming following a May crash that killed a
    16-year-old volunteer firefighter while she rode to a fire. The
    driver of the truck, Ron J. Caillier, of Newcastle, has been
    charged with aggravated homicide.
    Thermopolis Police Chief Jim Wiesbeck said officer Pat Cornwell
    smelled alcohol on Collins and thought the fire chief seemed
    intoxicated after he arrived at the fire in his own vehicle
    Wednesday night.
    After consenting to a Breathalyzer test, Collins allegedly
    registered a blood-alcohol level 0.14 percent and was arrested for
    driving under the influence. Wyoming's legal limit is 0.8 percent.
    The volunteer fire department's third in command, Capt. Jerry
    Williams, was unsure what the department will do about the
    allegation. He said the department's options range from taking no
    action to asking for Collins' resignation.
    Williams, an attorney in Thermopolis, said the department has no
    tolerance for firefighters who drive the department's vehicles
    while under the influence. "I'm not sure if we have a policy on
    how to treat an individual who responds to a fire call in their own
    vehicle who is legally impaired," he said.
    He said drinking one alcoholic beverage more than an hour before
    a call would not usually keep a firefighter from joining a crew on
    a truck.
    "I can't say I wasn't over the legal limit," Collins said. "I
    was not impaired to the point that I could not do my job."
    Collins said he helped crimp the Volkswagen's gas line to keep
    gasoline from spewing out.
    "This is the first mistake of this magnitude I've made in 40
    years," he said. "We'll have to see what the department members
    want to do. I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion."
    The department's firefighters planned to meet Tuesday.
    Assistant Mayor Dan Stansill called the allegation a "tough
    thing" for the fire department, Collins and the city. He did not
    expect disciplinary action against Collins.
    "This will have no impact on his job. He was not driving a town
    vehicle nor was he carrying out any job responsibilities on behalf
    of the town," Stansill said.
    Collins' initial circuit court appearance was scheduled for July
    On May 22, Anndee Huber was killed when Caillier, 47, allegedly
    lost control of a fire tanker while heading to a grass fire. Huber
    was ejected and crushed to death under the 25-ton truck, according
    to the Wyoming Highway Patrol.
    Prosecutors allege Caillier's blood-alcohol level was 0.16
    percent, twice the legal limit. He allegedly drank five 20-ounce
    beers in an hour and a half that evening, leaving a Newcastle bar
    about 15 minutes before his pager went off.
    Caillier has said he swerved to avoid hitting a deer.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Collins says -- in his words now -- that he CAN'T say he was NOT
    over the legal limit for alcohol. But he says he was NOT impaired
    to the point that he could NOT do his job.

You know what Chief? Your judgement about your ability to perform in that condition was SEVERELY impaired. You are an embarassment to firefighters across this country. Wake up, look in the mirror...and admit you were wrong. Your resignation is the least we should expect. If you can not learn from the death of a young firefighter...not long ago...and not far away..........you'll never learn. Hang up the boots now Chief!
    Last edited by NJFFSA16; 07-14-2003, 11:26 PM.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

*Ahem ahem* Cvedoe,trogan horse,pfire,dfc smash are you reading this? Still think there is nothing wrong or unprofessional with drinking and responding?

Capt stan--- no battle needed here,this clown in WY just won the war for me!
    Last edited by dfdex1; 07-15-2003, 01:01 AM.

Comment

dfdex1... I would offer you a suggestion that you modify your post. The inference is there that you are trying to start a battle. Just a suggetion.

NJ...It does seem that some folks will not learn and that because of idiotic stunts like this one people will continue to suffer and die. In this case we/they are lucky that no one was injured or killed by this chief who used "bad judgement"...... Come on ......it was not bad judgement...it was just irresponsibility.
      09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
      ------------------------------
      IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
      "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
      BMI Investigator
      ------------------------------
      The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Wy State Fire Marshal Message

Below is a message the Wyoming State Fire Marshal just sent out last Friday to all fire depts in the state....

To: All Wyoming Fire Departments

Sample Policies and Procedures – Drug and Alcohol Free Work Environment

Many private and governmental entities already have established policies addressing drug and alcohol free work environments. Regrettably, not all fire departments in Wyoming have formal policies and procedures ensuring the same. The Wyoming State Fire Marshals Office offers our assistance to departments to formulate new policies or update existing policies, removing alcohol from their stations and establishing zero tolerance policies.

The fire service in Wyoming has a long-standing tradition of providing excellent service and protection to the citizens of Wyoming. Establishing comprehensive policies and procedures to ensure workplace free from drugs and alcohol is another step in this commitment to excellence.

The State Fire Marshals Training Division has sample policies and procedures available either electronically or by hard copy. These are excellent tools to use when reviewing and updating existing policies and / or establishing new policies within your fire department. Allow us to assist you. Please contact our Training Division in Riverton at (307) 856-6820 or write to Department of Fire Prevention and Electrical Safety, 2500 Academy Court, Riverton, WY 82501 for copies of these documents.

Our job is to do the right thing. Let’s join together as we strive to provide professional and responsible service to the citizens of Wyoming.
        Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
        "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Comment

Reminds me of a folk song from I think the 60's...

"When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn...."

It almost appears by the article that the chief is sort of poo pooing this because nothing bad happened. If the membership doesn't get rid of this guy what message does that send to the community?

Just sitting here shaking my head...

FyredUp
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

You know, its rather sad that a 40 year career could be gone for 1 foolish act. As a fire chief, I'm sure he is well aware of the tragedy that alcohol and motor vehicles combined have caused. Hpoefully the dept will do the right thing and ask for his resignstion. Failing that, the city would probably have to dismiss him. I'm not sure what the consequences of drunk driving conviction are in Wyoming but I would imagine driving license would be suspended for a period of time. How could he carry out duties as a fire chief if he was unable to respond to a scene unless he had a driver. There is cause for dismissal there if they don't have rules in place regarding drunk driving. Maybe some will read this and think twice

Comment

Re: Wy State Fire Marshal Message

Originally posted by mtnfireguy
              Below is a message the Wyoming State Fire Marshal just sent out last Friday to all fire depts in the state....

To: All Wyoming Fire Departments

Sample Policies and Procedures – Drug and Alcohol Free Work Environment

Apparently...Chief Collins didn't get the memo, or chose to ignore the "suggestion" from the Fire Marshall.

Just suppose for one minute....that he responded to a working, occupied structure fire...in the same condition. He makes questionable judgement calls in his tactics and strategy.

Do residents or firefighters need to die due to the irresponsible actions of this "man?"

Resign Chief....do the right thing for a change.

Comment

"Assistant Mayor Dan Stansill called the allegation a "tough
                thing" for the fire department, Collins and the city. He did not
                expect disciplinary action against Collins.
                "This will have no impact on his job. He was not driving a town
                vehicle nor was he carrying out any job responsibilities on behalf of the Town"
                Not carrying out any responsibilities on behalf of the Town??? Did I miss something here? Would appear that the good ol boy mentality is alive and well in Town Hall as well.
                IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by dfdex1
                  *Ahem ahem* Cvedoe,trogan horse,pfire,dfc smash are you reading this? Still think there is nothing wrong or unprofessional with drinking and responding?

Capt stan--- no battle needed here,this clown in WY just won the war for me!

JESSE, too clarify YET AGAIN ........ I have NEVER once said that DRINKING AND RESPONDING was acceptable. AGAIN, please go RE-READ my comments on the thread about the Metchosin incident, RE-READ what happened there,RE-READ PLEASE the fact that he WAS NOT RESPONDING TO A CALL HE WAS ON HIS OWN TIME.

And Jesse, I would appreciate it if BEFORE USING MY NAME IN CONJUNCTION WITH ANYTHING YOU GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. Cease lumping me in with anyone who DOES support drinking and responding (although I've yet to see anyone that is still posting here that does agree with it). Might I suggest Jesse that you seek some professional help as you seem to be having problems dealing with the death of Anndee, and it seems to be clouding your judgements and responses to others. It's not healthy to harbor such resentment.
                  To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

WOW ... including PFire in w/ cdevoe just ain't right.

PFire - dfdex1 has a small problem w/ reading all of people's posts before he puts in his two cents. Maybe someday he'll figure it out.

Stay Safe

Comment

Originally posted by PFire23-From "Volunteer Chief suspended for drinking."
                      I just find it amazing that he's being judged for driving after having a couple when I've yet to meet anyone who won't drive after one or two.
                      I myself will drive after one but not after two does that mean that I should be stripped of whatever positions I hold in my life??
                      Originally posted by PFire23-From this thread Ihave NEVER once said that DRINKING AND RESPONDING was acceptable.
                      As soon as you pop the top of that beer--- turn off the pager. I have a Zero Tolerance for any alcohol in the fireservice or anyone who comes even after only "two".

George Wendt cfi was right in that thread. The fd dont own you put yourself on and off duty.

Pfire your answer is right above you--I put it in red for you.
                      Last edited by dfdex1; 07-15-2003, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Try again Puppy, where does it say that I condone DRINKING AND RESPONDING???? Where does it say that????

*BTW ....... for clarification the usage of the term "Puppy" by no means is used to refer to dfdex as anything other than a YOUNGUN*
                        To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

JUST WONDERING

I was just wondering something.....

Since when it is considered "good form" to openly harass (read *bash*) other members of the forums? There are some individuals here who inspite of being constantly asked to refrain from such activity, continue to do so. In my opinion this is both very rude and very unprofessional. It is fine to be in disagreement with someone over a subject, that is normal and part of being human.... however to continue to harass a person or several persons because of a particular point of view is not socially tolerated in most places. In most cases, the individual who is doing the "bashing" has either not done his/her homework on the topic or has not read through the full run of a particular thread. This leads to the making of an assumption which had the entire thread been read through, would in all likelyhood not been "made". We all know what happens when you "assume".

Just my penny's worth.........

Now back to our main topic of discussion:
                          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

To dfdex1 and PFire23..........Please,

Your "He said, She said" posture will only serve to have this thread shut down by the moderator.

I'm asking politely.....Keep it civil! May we all discuss this very important issue without a confrontational attitude? I welcome, and appreciate both of your views...however, the posts are beginning to border on personal attacks.

Thanks!

NJ

Comment

Originally posted by dfdex1
                              Pfire your answer is right above you--I put it in red for you.
                              He's talking about driving home from a restaurant ... NOT RESPONDING TO AN EMERGENCY!!!

When will you learn?

Can you even legally consume alcohol yet?

Stay Safe

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X