First day at the station!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day at the station!

Hi, my academy class here in Fort Wayne, IN is finishing up in about a month. What advice would you give our class for the first day in the stations and for the rest of our careers? Thanks in advance!

FWFD Class of 2003

Bring plenty of donuts, muffins, bagels and coffee for the offgoing shift and your oncoming shift. Be early, be humble, be eager to learn and to LISTEN. Be the last one in line for food and the first one to the sink to do dishes and the first on the floor when the officers calls the shift down. Ask the shift officer for your responsibilities and riding assignment and make sure you understand them completely. Bring a small notebook and pen to jot down things you learn or want/need to remember. Try to learn something new everyday.

PHEW! These are some of the things I was taught by my senior guys and I am sure many of the older bucks (and Does :P) have more advice to help see you thru!

Congratulations and good luck.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Comment

You cannot be too early. Don't walk in the door at 2 minutes to shift change. Thats not a good way to start. Make sure you know the locations of equipment on apparatus. The biggest point- IF YOU DO NOT KNOW SOMETHING ASK. NEVER ASSUME, AND NEVER FAKE. Remember, 1 "aww crap" erases 1000 "atta boy's".
      IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Comment

In this area, everytime you do something for the first time (first call, first fire, etc.), you've got to buy the station (or your shift)ice cream.

Is this a tradition in other areas?

We have alot of fun with our probies...Is this the first fire you've been to? Is this the first fire you've been to in this rig? Is this the first fire you've been to with a 2 1/2 line used? etc.

I should have gotten stock in an ice cream company I bought so much my first year
        FTM-PTB-DTRT

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X