Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when you think it can't get any worse ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when you think it can't get any worse ...

The Pennsylvania fire service has proven, on many occasions, that just when you think people can't get any more idiotic, you thought too soon. This one takes the cake, though.
    Fire truck hits 15-year-old, doesn't stop

LEWISTOWN - A juvenile was hit by a fire truck while riding a bicycle along State Route 103 Tuesday, reported the Granville Township Police Department.

The juvenile was transported to Lewistown Hospital for treatment of his injuries and was released, police said.

The hit-and-run accident occurred at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday along State Route 103 near the river bridge, said police.

According to the police report, a 15-year-old juvenile told police that he was struck by a blue fire truck. The juvenile said the truck was traveling south on SR 103 when the tires jumped the curb and went onto the sidewalk, police reported.

The truck, police said, hit him while he was riding his bicycle.

The juvenile stated the fire truck continued on SR 103 and activated its emergency lighting system after hitting him, police said.

The investigation continues into which fire company may have been involved and who was driving the fire truck.

Anyone with information about this incident should contact police at 242-2334.
    Fortunately, the kid is ok.

Stay Safe
    Last edited by PAVolunteer; 07-10-2003, 06:31 PM.

Any chance they had no idea they struck him??????

I for one will give the brothers the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Comment

The hit-and-run accident occurred at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday along State Route 103 near the river bridge, said police.

wow! i hope the driver has a very good lawyer.
      Maybe the driver intentionally tried to hit the boy.

Comment

A juvenile was hit by a fire truck while riding a bicycle along State Route 103
        There seems to be more than meets the eye to this one. Good that he is ok. No tears that he got hit while rideing his bike in the highway though. Im with E229 on this one,they may have not known they hit them over the engine noise and its the kids fault for rideing on the highway.
        Last edited by dfdex1; 07-10-2003, 07:57 PM.

Comment

when the tires jumped the curb and went onto the sidewalk

im not so sure he was riding in the street.but if they didnt know they hit them then why as they drove away did they throw on the lights?? maybe it was a call maybe not.

Comment

I wonder if that was the same kid that threw the brick at them on their last response?

Comment

No tears that he got hit while rideing his bike in the highway though.
              A state route like this may not be a "highway". I have 2 state routes going through my town and they are far from being highways. One of them, in only 3/4 of a mile, has 6 traffic lights. Riding bikes along this road, along with walking, are very common. And, seeing that the truck wheels jumped the curb and went on the sidewalk, wouldn't that kind of imply the kid was on a sidewalk?

its the kids fault for rideing on the highway.
              Yes, it has nothing to do with driving on a sidewalk.

DFD, I really hope you care more about the public than you post.
              "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Good that he is ok.
                There seems to be more than meets the eye to this one
                I think there is,till I hear more Ill side with the ff.

DFD, I really hope you care more about the public than you post.
                I do care. I just dont feel bad for stupid people anymore.
                Not sure when I stopped careing -when this whole town cried cause some teenagers walked across the interstate to get to the mall when there was a bridge with sidewalk 20 feet from them and got hit or when that 17y/o was walking in the middle of railroad tracks in the direction of train travel on a busy commuter line with head phones on and was removed from the locomotive with a garden hose and the papers made him out to be a hero.

I think you maybe right bones about the state route 103 not being a "highway" persay.

Comment

not to say what this fire truck did was right or anything, but, ummm, something is kinda bothering me about his story.

A juvenile was hit by a fire truck while riding a bicycle along State Route 103
                  followed by
                  The juvenile was transported to Lewistown Hospital for treatment of his injuries and was released, police said.
                  ummm, in my experience, when someone gets hit by a car, they are usually seriously injured. now, i would imagine that being hit by a fire truck, something that is much bigger and much heavier, would put someone, especially a 15 year old ON A BICYCLE, in the hospital for a while. if the kid was treated and released after being hit by a fire engine, then either there is more to this story that we aren't being told, or he is one EXTREAMLY LUCKY kid.
                  If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

So the millon dollar question is: Why did the truck jump up on the curb? Was the driver avoiding something and had no other place to go?
                    Sounds to me like the kid was only winged. Maybe just the mirror got him.
                    I too feel that we haven't heard the complete story.
                    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
                    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

Comment

Not sure which department this is, whether brooklyn or united or fame, but after living there, State 103 is a normal 2 lane highway that runs for a good ways. I dont know exactly where it ends but guarantee it runs at least 10 miles (all the farther ive been out it for lack of reason to go any farther) Im not defending anyone just letting you know what the road is like, as we all know, some of our brothers can be idiots and lose control as soon as that pager goes

Comment

ONE FOR THE GOOD GUYS!

It turns out that the PA fire service isn't so bad after all!

I'll go back to my chicken BBQ now to raise money to protect the citizens while Rendell throws another million dollar party ...

Teen NOT hit by fire truck
                        By KELLI ALTIERY - Sentinel reporter
                        7/11/03

GRANVILLE - The 15-year-old boy who told police he was hit by a fire truck while riding his bicycle along State Route 103 on Tuesday confessed that he made the story up, reported the Granville Township Police Department.

A juvenile petition will be filed against the teen for false reports to law enforcement.

The juvenile had reported he was struck by a blue fire truck while riding his bike on a sidewalk. He also reported that the truck continued along SR 103 and had activated its emergency lighting system after striking him.

According to the police report, the juvenile sustained injuries from wrecking his bike, not from being hit by a fire truck. He was treated at Lewistown Hospital for those injuries, and released.

The Granville Township Police Department expressed thanks to Granville, Highland Park and Decatur fire companies, who all have blue fire trucks, for their cooperation during the investigation.
                        Stay Safe

Comment

Not like we don't have our hands full with other problems. Now they have to make up stuff. Kid should get at least 100 hours of community service to be served at the firehouses that have blue trucks.
                          SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
                          "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

Comment

Whats with all of the blue trucks?
                            "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Comment

Perhaps as a punishment this boy should have to go perform "community service" work hours within the department that he was slandering. Maybe then he'd have a better appreciation and respect for what firefighters do, and think twice before making a false claim again. This story makes me sooooooo angry, there's nothing I detest more than a liar.
                              Last edited by PFire23; 07-11-2003, 11:43 AM.
                              To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...