X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    Why did someone revive a revived Thread??........ Can't we just talk about important stuff, like which LED Lightbar looks good on a Smoothbore equipped 1978 Toyota Corolla??................
    WHERE did you see one of THOSE? Hehe T.C.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Huh??...........

Why did someone revive a revived Thread??........ Can't we just talk about important stuff, like which LED Lightbar looks good on a Smoothbore equipped 1978 Toyota Corolla??................

Leave a comment:

• Capt387
    replied
    Snowball.............. oh Snowball............ Need input here, 7yrold start and a 12 month lapse. Bring your Garmin or Magellan or in GT's case a TomTom

Leave a comment:

• Westsidefireman
    replied
    You can however buy a helmet from the factory with goggles and it is NFPA compliant...then buy the NFPA approved bourkes and put them on your helmet, remove the goggles and you still have the NFPA sticker and an NFPA approved helmet.

Leave a comment:

• WD6956
    replied
    Originally posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    Very solid... That clears a lot up. I had no idea it had to do with the impact cap... Thanks a ton bro!!!
    Glad i could help. Like you, i could not figure out what the difference was. But a trip to my local Cairns dealer steered me in the right direction and a 20 minute phone call picking the brain of a Cairns customer service rep (Not just a phone jockey, this was a design engineer) helped clear everything up for me. I threw every scenario at him and every variable and took notes.

There is an excellent dealer information book i was able to look through that gives comparisons of all the major brands of helmets and eye protection and explains each helmets NFPA and OSHA ratings and why they have them. So i have become pretty well versed in helmets now.

And if you need other info, let me know. I am happy to make more phone calls to manufacturers to get answers. It helps me learn and in turn, i can help my brothers.

Leave a comment:

• detroitfire1552
    replied
    Originally posted by WD6956 View Post
    Not going to happen. Other then eye protection, the reason the N5A is not NFPA approved is the fact it does not have the dual layer impact cap.
    This was discussed in another thread at great lengths and i even ended up calling Cairns to get a definitive answer.

Because the N5A does not have that impact cap, Cairns will NEVER give it the NFPA sticker. Regardless of the eye protection you choose. You can order an N5A with bourkes and goggles or a shield. But it will still have the OSHA only label. There is no configuration to get an N5A with an NFPA approval.

This confuses people because of the N6A approval system. If you order an N6A with Bourkes only or no eye protection, it comes with an OSHA approval. NOT an NFPA.
    BUT, if you order an N6A with goggles or a faceshield, you get the NFPA approval. So people had thought it was strictly an eye protecton issue. But it is more then that.

As of now, the NFPA will not give any brand of helmet that ships from the factory without either a shield or goggles an NFPA rating with one exception. Morning Pride has NFPA approved Bourkes. But again, the helmet HAS to be shipped from the factory this way to get the rating. If your dealer has a helmet in stock that came with no eye protection, buying a set of goggles at the store does not magically make the helmet NFPA approved. The sticker cannot be added.

As for Morning Pride's NFPA approved Bourkes, the same issue applies. While these Bourkes meet the NFPA standards, simply adding them to your helmet does not mean your helmet now meets the NFPA standards. The only way to actually purchase a helmet with Bourkes only and an NFPA rating is buy a Morning Pride helmet with the installed at the factory.

There is a good deal of misinformation going around, mainly through advertising that is making people think that by combining certain components that your helmet will magically become NFPA approved. You may be using components that all meet the specs, but the key issue is they MUST be assembled that way at the factory. There is a department not far from me who was ready to buy 2 dozen of the NFPA approved Bourkes to add to their OSHA rated helmets and they thought they would meet this standard. Thankfully they realized it would not happen before they spent the money.
    Very solid... That clears a lot up. I had no idea it had to do with the impact cap... Thanks a ton bro!!!

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    WOW !!!!!!!!!!! Nice bump !

Leave a comment:

• WD6956
    replied
    Maybe someday Cairns will offer the New Yorker with ESS goggles and call it NFPA approved.
    Not going to happen. Other then eye protection, the reason the N5A is not NFPA approved is the fact it does not have the dual layer impact cap.
    This was discussed in another thread at great lengths and i even ended up calling Cairns to get a definitive answer.

Because the N5A does not have that impact cap, Cairns will NEVER give it the NFPA sticker. Regardless of the eye protection you choose. You can order an N5A with bourkes and goggles or a shield. But it will still have the OSHA only label. There is no configuration to get an N5A with an NFPA approval.

This confuses people because of the N6A approval system. If you order an N6A with Bourkes only or no eye protection, it comes with an OSHA approval. NOT an NFPA.
    BUT, if you order an N6A with goggles or a faceshield, you get the NFPA approval. So people had thought it was strictly an eye protecton issue. But it is more then that.

As of now, the NFPA will not give any brand of helmet that ships from the factory without either a shield or goggles an NFPA rating with one exception. Morning Pride has NFPA approved Bourkes. But again, the helmet HAS to be shipped from the factory this way to get the rating. If your dealer has a helmet in stock that came with no eye protection, buying a set of goggles at the store does not magically make the helmet NFPA approved. The sticker cannot be added.

As for Morning Pride's NFPA approved Bourkes, the same issue applies. While these Bourkes meet the NFPA standards, simply adding them to your helmet does not mean your helmet now meets the NFPA standards. The only way to actually purchase a helmet with Bourkes only and an NFPA rating is buy a Morning Pride helmet with the installed at the factory.

There is a good deal of misinformation going around, mainly through advertising that is making people think that by combining certain components that your helmet will magically become NFPA approved. You may be using components that all meet the specs, but the key issue is they MUST be assembled that way at the factory. There is a department not far from me who was ready to buy 2 dozen of the NFPA approved Bourkes to add to their OSHA rated helmets and they thought they would meet this standard. Thankfully they realized it would not happen before they spent the money.

Leave a comment:

• WD6956
    replied
    Originally posted by Ambrose33 View Post
    My Sam Houston took about 3 or 4 months to be delivered.
    If your local dealer is ordering it from Cairns directly, i could see that happening. But places like the FireStore have those helmets in stock in almost every configuration. And chances are, at a better price then then most small dealers. You would be surprised how many dealers have them in stock.

Leave a comment:

• detroitfire1552
    replied
    Originally posted by Ambrose33 View Post
    The New Yorker does sit lower then the Sam Houston. Most stores will not carry leathers since there a specialty item and they have to be ordered. My Sam Houston took about 3 or 4 months to be delivered. If I was going to get another leather I would get the New Yorker. The New Yorker is OSHA approved and the Sam Houston is NFPA approved.
    Yeh that is what I thought. I am kinda stuck right now. I like the 880 myself bc of the low profile but I want to make sure I am NFPA compliant if I am spending the money on a leather. Maybe someday Cairns will offer the New Yorker with ESS goggles and call it NFPA approved.

Stay safe out there guys!

DETROITFIRE

Leave a comment:

• Ambrose33
    replied
    anyone on the market for a cheap pair of ess goggles?????

Hey I seen a guy wearing a leather a while back and I am pretty sure it was a 6a because of how high is sat on his head. do the n5a sit low like an 880 does or do both of them sit high like a damn ben II helmet??? None of the fire service stores around here keep leathers in stock. I'd hate to buy one at the firestore.com and have to return it.
    The New Yorker does sit lower then the Sam Houston. Most stores will not carry leathers since there a specialty item and they have to be ordered. My Sam Houston took about 3 or 4 months to be delivered. If I was going to get another leather I would get the New Yorker. The New Yorker is OSHA approved and the Sam Houston is NFPA approved.

Leave a comment:

• DFDCar1
    replied
    Some of those juniors from 2003 have likely already been made as LT's!

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    I wonder if they bought the helmets?

I wonder if they are still juniors???

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Leave a comment:

• detroitfire1552
    replied
    Originally posted by jbrescue View Post
    Order a n6a with goggle and bourkes and take off the goggles. This way you get the NFPA compliant helmet shipped to you.
    anyone on the market for a cheap pair of ess goggles?????

Hey I seen a guy wearing a leather a while back and I am pretty sure it was a 6a because of how high is sat on his head. do the n5a sit low like an 880 does or do both of them sit high like a damn ben II helmet??? None of the fire service stores around here keep leathers in stock. I'd hate to buy one at the firestore.com and have to return it.

Leave a comment:

• jbrescue
    replied
    how do you make it look like a n5a?

anyone have the deluxe config like it better than the stadard?
    Order a n6a with goggle and bourkes and take off the goggles. This way you get the NFPA compliant helmet shipped to you.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X