Uh oh. The cops are at it again :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh oh. The cops are at it again :)

Hey George! Those cops, they are at it again.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsro...p02gbsave.html

Police rescue burning driver
    By JONATHAN BANDLER AND DESIREE GRAND
    THE JOURNAL NEWS
    (Original publication: July 2, 2003)

Fighting through smoke and flames, four police officers saved a 79-year-old New Jersey man whose car had rolled over and burst into flames yesterday morning. The officers were able to pull the man, who was on fire, through a rear window.

Anthony Sadowski of Perth Amboy was transported to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla after suffering leg burns in the 7 a.m. accident on Old Tarrytown Road, police said.

Detective Anthony McVeigh and Police Officers Daniel Valentine, Edward DeVito and Erik Ward were also taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.

When police arrived at the scene, they found Sadowski's 1987 Toyota overturned in the wooded area next to the road. Flames were coming through the floor of the car from the engine and Sadowski was trapped inside, unable to free his legs, Lt. Vincent LoGiudice said.

McVeigh and Valentine were the first to arrive and tried to rescue Sadowski, whose feet were engulfed in flames, DeVito said. When DeVito and Ward arrived together, Sadowski's pants had caught on fire, and he was screaming in pain. McVeigh and Valentine used a hydraulic extrication device to pry off the roof of the car and DeVito and Ward pulled him through the rear window. DeVito said the interior of the car quickly caught on fire, and the air was thick with the smell of burning plastic and oil.

"The smoke was so thick, we could not see or breathe," DeVito said. "It was everybody working together that made it possible to save him."

Police said Sadowski was traveling north on Old Kensico Road and lost control of the vehicle as he turned on Old Tarrytown Road. His car ended up in the wooded area off the road, overturned and wedged between trees.

The Fairview Fire Department responded and extinguished the car fire.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Blue canarys do what?

Comment

McVeigh and Valentine used a hydraulic extrication device to pry off the roof of the car and DeVito and Ward pulled him through the rear window.
      so i'm guessing in this town, the police are in charge of all MVA rescue operations. why else would 2 officers have a hydraulic extrication device powerful enough to pry the roof off the car in the back of their patrol car?

apparently, the FD only responded for the car fire, not for the MVA rollover with extrapment.

nothing wrong with PD doing rescue. NYPD ESU does it. Elizabeth PD runs EMS (i think). i believe some EMS/Rescue depts in suffolk county are run by PD too
      Last edited by drparasite; 07-08-2003, 01:35 PM.
      If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

The smoke was so thick, we could not see or breathe
        imagine that, smoke was thick, so they couldnt see or breathe?? i could have told them that.
        I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Comment

So your saying these four cops should have stood around and let this guy burn to death so as not to step on the toes of the fire dept. Do you know if the Fairview fire dept does infact do rescue, not all fire departments do or allowed to do rescue.
          "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Comment

In one of our PD cruisers, they carry a hand operated set of jaws/cutters. Plenty of power for moving a roof. They have it in case of needing forced entry at a crime scene, but it has other uses. My FD does not do extrication, my EMS Squad does.

Was not there, and glad it had good outcome...but did any of them think of using their extinguishers to put the fire out? Story does not make any mention...so just wondering.
            "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Basically this amounts to the "They do things differently down there", but still a bit of a surprise to hear hydraulics getting used by PD personnel. Good save guys.... but I too have the question about use of (?) Fire Extinguishers????

It would be interesting to hear from somone in that Neck 'O the Woods who was on scene.
              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Generally speaking, there are a growing number of PD's who are placing "Emergency Service Units" in service. They are designed as first responders and range from a patrol car with basic supplies to elaborate mini-rescue trucks with medical supplies and extrication equipment. The units that I am familiar with, use EMT-D's.

As far as discussing the actions of these officers, there is little question that this was a selfless, courageous act. However, there are those on here who would argue that the cops had no business performing this rescue, but see nothing wrong with forcing a car off the road if they suspected the driver was drunk. It is sheer jealousy and an anti-cop attitude.

This was a heroic act. Nothing less. They should be commended period.
                PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

Detective Anthony McVeigh
                  Daniel Valentine
                  Edward DeVito
                  Erik Ward

Good save Brothers, Kia Kaha to a speedy recovery.
                  Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                  Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShuswapFireF
                    So your saying these four cops should have stood around and let this guy burn to death so as not to step on the toes of the fire dept. Do you know if the Fairview fire dept does infact do rescue, not all fire departments do or allowed to do rescue.
                    Am, no. See, that was called sarcasm. The topic subject was poking fun at the people that George mentioned that feel cops have no buisness doing that. I posted it here because I applaud their efforts.

Comment

there are those on here who would argue that the cops had no business performing this rescue
                      Yes, it's a pity people fell that way. I am not one of them. Good job again.
                      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

I'm curious about the time table. If the car *and* the patient were on fire upon PD's arrival... I'm wondering what exactly "pry off the roof" means. And how they did it before the passenger compartment was fully involved without some sort of fire suppression efforts.
                        Last edited by cozmosis; 07-09-2003, 02:38 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Give the Explorers guns and........

Yes, I'm kidding. The officers referred to here are examples of many who just dig in and do what has to be done, when the $#%@& hits the fan. My complements to them for an outstanding job. We have a number of local PD officers among our Volunteer ranks, and they are some of our more active members. A good working relationship has always been the norm around here for as long as I can remember. Stay Safe....
                          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                          In memory of
                          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Also keep in mind the newspaper has an interesting way of reporting how and what we do at accidents. "They peeled the doors off" could very well mean "They opened the door by pulling really hard".

Comment

Great job, officers!!!!

To what George said: our (all in public safety: fire, EMS, police) goal is fast, effective, and safe help for those in need. No matter what uniform we wear (or none if we're off duty & George shows up in his flowered shirt, shorts, snow white legs, white socks, & black shoes), as long as we make good judgements, use our training, and equipment, and work well with other responders, we should focus on what helps the victims, not on "turf".

The appropriate system design can vary from place to place. In some areas I run, we routinely arrive before police, so having them trained as EMS 1st responders isn't a good choice. In other areas, they arrive 1st, so it is a great choice. In the same way, I've run in areas where there was only a single officer on duty. Having an firefighter show up and work with the officer to restrain a subject kept the both the officer & subject safer.

To that end, it's really simple. Get to know your other responders, talk to them, train with them, know their equipment & help them know yours, then work together. Follow-up calls with conversations about how to do it better next time. Visit, eat, and chat together.

The public will be best served this way. We'll have more satisfaction on calls this way.
                              Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X