PPE/bunker gear question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPE/bunker gear question

What type/brand of turnout gear/PPE do you use, and how do you like it?

answer here or email
    [email protected]

Myron
    Last edited by 5pts384; 07-07-2003, 12:06 PM.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Morning Pride. Very comfortable but the fabric doesn't hold up very well. The shell is Basofil, thermal liner is Caldura, and the moisture barrier is Crosstech. The gear also is a bit hot.
    My gear is about two years old now and the shell has been fixed once. We wear black and it is rather faded also.
    I liked my old stuff it was a liest 10 years old and was still in somewhat good shape. The new gear will never make it to 10 years. I seriously doubt it will make it to 5.
    My old stuff was from Cairns and was just Nomex

Comment

GLOBE 'nuff said.

Comment

My career job uses Janesville, I think it is called combat. In my opinion this stuff is awful. It has that grey synthetic liner that was supposed to wick away your sweat. Unfortunately once you wear the stuff and sweat into it it is like putting on a wet swimsuit. It is also much heavier and bulkier than any other brand I have ever worn.

My volly FD uses Bristol, Boston FD spec. I love this stuff. It is light, flexible, almost feels like putting on your old hunting coat it is so comfortable. It is Nomex Delta T and has held up very well for the 3 years I have had it. I highly recommend this stuff.

FyredUp
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Bristol, Boston FD spec.
          True,but my big bone of contention(besides being an import)and Bostons was that you could not inspect the moiusture barrier as it was sealed inside the jacket. Thats why Boston has gone back to Morning Pride.

Comment

dfdex1...

Bristol is owned by Lion Uniform a US owned company.

You can flip my turnout coat inside out and see the moisture barrier. The bottom of the thermal and mositure barrier is not attached to the shell.

By the way I have used my Bristol Gear at well over a hundred interior fire attacks. How many have you used your Globe on?

I am going to ask you to prove that Boston went back to Morning Pride. Just because I have not heard that.

FyredUp
            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Bristol battle

Fyredup is correct,Bristol is permanently attached only at the collar so you can easily check the liner and vapor barrier.As far as Globe standing up to 100 fires;NO CONTEST!Globe has been producing quality protective clothing for well over twice the time Bristol has been around.Nothing bad said about Bristol here,but I've been in and worn out three sets of Globe gear in a career spanning 35years and thousands of incidents.I think Globe came into being around the time of the hand pump and they were certainly in widespread use during the steamer era so there is no question they are an established company.I personally like the cut and finish of the product but I readily admit to being prejudiced to a product that has kept my hide intact for over a quarter century.I've tried a set of Bristol at the convention and would like the chance to put it thru a two year torture test.If it survives two years of my use,it's good stuff.I'm currently trying to wear out a set of Globe GX7 Millenia,so far I'm favorably impressed.T.C,

Comment

One of our explorers has a eex-Boston jacket that the MB is completely inaccesable. I went to his uncles station(L23) and saw morning pride that the rookie was useing.

Comment

Rescue101,

I had a set the local rep let me use for well over a year before I got my issued set at my volly FD. I used it for responses and perhaps even more telling used it at burns in the tower and at house burns for training. The reason I call that more telling during that test period is that I was in fires repeatedly over the day's training and the gear performed flawlessly.

My issue set is 3 years old and has seen just as much usage both at incidents and for training and is holding up quite well. So much so that when the tech school told me they were going to buy me new gear I said what kind? They said Janesville and I said no thanks. I told them I wanted Bristol and explained why and since the price was nearly the same I was allowed to get it. Now some of the other instructors want it too.

It seems to me turn-out gear is another thing like cars...you find a brand you like and that's what is the best. Over the years I have used Globe, Survivair(Yep they made turn-outs at one point), Janesville, and Morning Pride, as well as various manufacturers of CFR turn-outs. I prefer Bristol and that's my opinion.

dfdex1,

Okay I will take your word for the Morning Pride in Boston. But is it wide spread usage or are they running a test program for purchase of new gear?

By the way, have you ever had gear on for a real fire where you were interior attack? As an explorer I would find that hard to believe. This isn't meant as an attack even though it might sound that way. But there is a major difference between how cool a set of gear looks, and how well it performs when the crap hits the fan. I base my opinion on actual fire experience...more years than I want to remember at this time.

FyredUp

FyredUp
                  Maybe it's not too late

Comment

No I defently dont look "cool" with a black 3/4 coat and high back yellow pants! But its what I got so I take it cause its better than nothing. my Globe is very very old 10+ but is still in great condition and it seemed to flex alright as I was crawling through the tubes tonight. I learned that Ill take my departments Scott 4.5's over the other towns Survivair 2216's any day of the week.LOL

Comment

Oh and on the BFD gear. All new recruits are being issued Morning Pride at Boot Island and as the Bristol craps out it is being replaced by Morning Pride spec'd to the same refelctive trim as the old.

Comment

currently i am using the janesville liberty body guard made of the advance material. it is just under a month old and i love it so far but haven't had any interior fires to test it there.
                        NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
                        IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

I was using Starfield which is now owned by Lion and liked it. My city then switched and tested pretty well every brand. Bristol was one of the first knocked off the list. I don't know what the crieria was. We ended up with Morning Pride although it didn't top the list. I believe Globe or Lion did. I have used Globe and felt O.K. with it but found it heavy(could have been the shell don't remember what it was made of). I was also told by a Captain that the high pant style is not good for heat build-up because it retains heat closer to your core. The morning Pride feels good but the shell has faded alot with use and cleaning.

Comment

I have Globe, i like it, its comfortable and fits nice.

Comment

Ok... As a vendor for PPE I am going to jump in here and open a can of worms.

For those of you that are insistent on "seeing" the vapor barrier...Do you know what you are looking at or for? I spoke with reps from Solutions and the lady told me that the "inspection port" that some manufacturers use is just a useless feature that is there to trick you into thinking you are getting something you are not. She further told me that just because you can see the moisture barrier, you may not be able to tell if it is defective or degradating unless it is gross delamination and by that point you probably have already been burned in a fire, because the delamination is not an overnight thing....the barrier breaks down over a period of time and can not normally be seen until it starts to fall apart. She said that the soak test is the best method of inspection. Now this comes from a third party testing source that does not sell any gear. To all you Chief's....can you answer the questions that she asked me? "Are you trained in the inspection of vapor barriers?" "Do you know what you are looking for?" "As a Chief, would you be willing to accept the liability of inspecting a firefighter's vapor barrier and then have it fail on him the next day?" If you answered no, then why pay extra for inspection access? Sure...you can see obvious things such as discoloration....and gross delamination...but....that is about it.

The majority of manufacturers, get all their fabric from southern mills or dupont and their Basofil from BASF (except some of the canadian manufacturers who are buying a "knockoff" of Basofil). All manufacturers need to meet the provisions of NFPA 1971, 2000 Edition (or the current edition). Therefore the little extras are nice, but what it boils down to is durability, quality of construction (these two are hand in hand), comfort for the user, level of TPP and THL, and least importantly, the cost. Keep in mind that the most expensive is not always best and the cheapest is not always best. Take a look at the entire product and all the features, including custom fitting.

Some offer "3 Panel systems...(meaning the outer shell should be 3 panels, the moisture barrier 3 panels and the thermal barrier 3 panels. Take a look..not all are that way. A good deal of the manufacturers make the outer shell "3 panels but the thermal liner and vapor barrier are one piece. A true "3 panel" system makes all the layers 3 pieces. This enhances flexibility and limits the rise of the coat when you extend an arm.

Some manufacturers measure you for gear and say it is "custom fit" Your measurements are Chest 46, Sleeve 35, Waist 44, Inseam 32. My question the is....Why does it come in marked Chest=Large, sleeve =regular, waist=XL, Inseam=Long? Why...??? Because it is not custom fit. They pull it off the shelf from stock and mark the date after your order and put your name in the label. That is their version of custom.

In contrast, there are certain manufacturers out there that do build custom gear and I do mean custom. The draw back is that you have to wait 6-8 weeks.

As far as whicking and moisture barriers go, my choice is Platinum Caldura in conjuntion with STEDAIR 2000 back with NOMEX E-89. The THL is high. Basofil and ADVANCE are the best choices in outer shells. Both resist UV very well and their TPP goes up after 3 washings.

Don't be fooled buy all the bells and whistles. Take a look at all the gear manufacturers and ask questions.
                              Last edited by captstanm1; 07-08-2003, 11:11 PM.
                              09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                              ------------------------------
                              IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                              "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                              BMI Investigator
                              ------------------------------
                              The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X