X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46Truck
    replied
    K.I.S.S.???

In my Dept. there are only "Motors" (engines, pumpers) and "Trucks" (ladders or towers). I guess they do that so as not to confuse us Truckies about which apparattus to ride on

Leave a comment:

• KAPNKRNCH
    replied
    Actually Pierce has a heavy duty rescue pumper, and a rescue pumper body, they are mostly different lengths, if you go to their website and look at rescue pumpers, the all wheel drive yellow engine is ours,we just call it an engine but in the cad it is listed with rescue tools.

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Re: Whats in a name?

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    We have a Pierce Rescue-pumper. It is an engine with the squad package.
    Mikey brings up a point ... the Pierce rescue-engine package is called the HDRP in Pierce-lingo - "Heavy Duty Rescue Pumper".

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    Whats in a name?

Fire engines= Pumper
    Fire truck= Ladder truck

We have a Pierce Rescue-pumper. It is an engine with the squad package. It carries all the class A pumper equipment along with extrication equipment,a foam tank, a cascade system, ice rescue suit and alot of other things such as gas meters etc.. Around here, generally speaking, a squad is a heavy rescue unit. Except when you go about 50 miles south of the city, then squads are ambulances. Its red, makes alot of noise when the Q is wound up and it is air conditioned! (for all 6 days we need it around here )

Leave a comment:

• FFTrainer
    replied
    SIGNAL99 -

If you want to move south to NJ, our rig is RESCUE-ENGINE and we'll gladly have you onboard

Oh and Bones watch out for those truckies when you say you call all your equipment firetrucks because they might start trying to climb on them all!!!!! Just jealous (i mean kidding) truckies

Stay safe!

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Well.............

I guess that the old phrase "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (or something like that) applies here. In Maryland they are Engine-Tankers (Frederick County) Pumper-Tankers (Anne Arundel County) Engines (Prince Georges County) Tankers (Calvert County) But they are the same vehicle, just a different name depending on where you go. Makes no sense to me. Now, to start a real controversy, rfcmitch mentioned numbering systems. Now, there are some real winners out there, such as an engine numbered 16-54-6. What in the.....? Actually, this is something for another thread, I'll start one. (With safety in mind, of course). Stay Safe....

Leave a comment:

• PHarper
    replied
    I don't know if you remember it, but sometime last year someone wrote in about getting a super-dupper fire truck with a ladder and a big cab or something, anyone remember that? Anyway, I don't now if what he wanted to call that, whether is was a squad, engine, pumper, etc.

Leave a comment:

• lutan1
    replied
    We call them firetrucks.
    Can't argue with that!

Who Cares what each department calls their truck!!!!!! Let's discuss the important things in life i.e. Firefighter safety.......
    Yeah, right....

We actually spell them Telebooms, but for some reason that I can't figure out everyone pronounces them Tallybooms.
    Thanks StillPSFB- long time no hear....

Leave a comment:

• FlyingKiwi
    replied
    Agree with you Bones.

According to the Bosses they are Appliances down here. We reckon they have four wheels, are Red, and Big, They are Trucks.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    We call them firetrucks.

Leave a comment:

• rfcmitch
    replied
    If we were to buy one of these trucks anyways... we would only call it one of the other. Not this mixed up crap.

We currently have engines, tankers, rescues, mini-pumpers and knuckle trucks. This is how I refer to them and a bunch of the guys. Down in deep south western new york.

I dont know how you people deal with all these weired up names, or numbering systems.

But thats a whole nother thing! ... moving on...

Leave a comment:

• SIGNAL99COM
    replied
    ?

Who Cares what each department calls their truck!!!!!! Let's discuss the important things in life i.e. Firefighter safety.......
    Get a grip buddy! Not every thread in these forums is going to be about Firefighter Safety nor should it be. If you don't want to disuss this topic, go elseware.

Leave a comment:

• ff7134
    replied
    I still call our squads the bus or the taxi.

Leave a comment:

• firefighterox
    replied
    in my area we have, tankers, pumpers, brush trucks, rescues, ambulances, and the occasional dept has a big f****** truck (which would be like a 100' arial).

Leave a comment:

• punksurfer024
    replied
    what really ****es me off is the engines with transport capabilities. They must be the most insane thing ive ever seen, specially since the only one ive seen is alone at their station. picture this, you are dispatched to a car accident or a structure fire with injured patients at scene, but lucky you have to decide whether to stay and wait for other units to respond to handle fire or accident or if you should transport your patient, who is dying to hospital. I dont like them at all!!! dont to mention that the transport compartment in them is sideways, meaning that if your patient has a spinal injury, well there goes the idea of keeping spine in line if the truck hits brakes at all. but oh well, anyway on topic, in my area we have engines, rescues, and tower trucks, thats about it

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X