Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of degree is best for fire investigation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of degree is best for fire investigation?

The college I'm attending does not have a degree specific for fire investigation. Is chemistry the next best thing? Right now I'm getting a Law Enforcement degree with a minor in Chemistry. I was thinking of going into LE at one point, but firefighting is much more satisfying for me. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

i don't know exactly how much it would help, but i am working towards my associates in Fire Science, which should help you attain what you are looking for as on of the classes i will take has to do with arson investigations. if not at your local college, you might check with your local community college as to whether or not it is available. good luck!
    <- Keepin My Mouth Shut and Ears Open...

Comment

I have a fire science degree and I teach fire science at a community college. A fire science degree is good. It sets you apart from your peers w/o one. But if you want to spend the rest of your life in fire investigations, go one step further...

If it was 1977 and I was doing it all over, my degree of choice would be fire protection engineering. There is no doubt that an engineer has more of a background in the proper way to conduct a scientific inquiry. The money is gobs ahead of what you could make as a street FI. Schools? OK State, Univ. of Maryland, WPI to name a few.

Trust me on this one.
      PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

University of New Haven has a degree in fire investigations.

The criminal courses that are needed for it gives you a minor in criminal justice, and the courses for investigations are similar for those required for fire administration.

Hope that helps, and makes some kind of sense.

Comment

thanks guys, this will help

Comment

http://fpst.okstate.edu/
            ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
            -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

Comment

Check out the USFA's Degrees at a Distance program.

Take most of your "required" classes wherever it's convenient and get your fire-specific courses through a host institution (the USFA website has a list).

The coursework is first rate if you are willing to put the time into it.

You can continue your studies at your present location, too. In my neck of the woods, if you want to be a fire investigator, you had better well have LEO experience - so why not play on both sides of the fence?
              ullrichk
              a.k.a.
              perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

Jedi: I agree with George, and I am an FPE from UM, however you may want to consider a dual degree track in both law enforcement and FPE. You'll really stand out with that combo. Good luck.

Comment

Grit76,

That's great that you say that because I'm currently getting a law enforcement degree. I'm planning on getting a minor in chemistry. I've checked on the FPE program at Oklahoma State and some of those classes look intense. It's like the the Harvard Fire School. I honestly don't know if I'd be able to do that. Other then FPE, is a fire science degree the next best thing? Is my current major/minor a good combo?

Thanks for your time and info.

ullrichk,

Thanks for that info, I'll check on it.

Comment

I honestly don't know if I'd be able to do that.

And you never will if you don't try!

Comment

GeorgeWendtCFI,

That's true, it's hard to say I can't do it if I don't even try. But, I just turned 24 and really want to start firefighting full-time. If I do the FPE thing, I'm going to be 27-28 or so (depending on credit load) before I'm done with school. I'll have a Law Enforcement degree and Chem. minor when I'm 25. I'm hoping that it will open doors to investigation down the road since that's the closest degree to fire inves. my college offers. Maybe I can take invest. classes while I'm working??

I guess I'm using you guys as my advisor. My college advisor doesn't know anything about the fire service.

Thanks for the input. It really helps,
                      mike

Comment

You are talking to a guy who earned his degree when he was 40.

Please take my comments as encouragement. I don't know your personal situation, but if you can do this, you absolutely will not be sorry.

Yes, of course you can take courses while you are working. Many times you can parlay your job into a credits through coop education.

I truly wish you good luck in this endeavor.

Originally posted by Jedimike007
                        GeorgeWendtCFI,

That's true, it's hard to say I can't do it if I don't even try. But, I just turned 24 and really want to start firefighting full-time. If I do the FPE thing, I'm going to be 27-28 or so (depending on credit load) before I'm done with school. I'll have a Law Enforcement degree and Chem. minor when I'm 25. I'm hoping that it will open doors to investigation down the road since that's the closest degree to fire inves. my college offers. Maybe I can take invest. classes while I'm working??

I guess I'm using you guys as my advisor. My college advisor doesn't know anything about the fire service.

Thanks for the input. It really helps,
                        mike

Comment

Jedimike007 -

I am currently a student at Oklahoma State University, enrolled in the School of Fire Protection and Safety Technology.

If you want info - you can follow the link to the School's website which has already been posted in this thread...
                          You can speak to the professors, or if you'd like you can e-mail me- and I'd be happy to tell you about the program here.

Keep in mind that being a FPE is not a title to throw around lightly. Graduation alone doesn't gaurantee it. You must graduate, then take the FE/EIT - Fundementals of Engineering / Engineer in Training. Then after several years experience, you may sit to take the PE exam, (Professional Engineers). Only then are you a FPE.

I like the program here because it is diverse. We cover everything from Industrial Hygiene to Fire Dynamics, Occupational Safety to Municapal Water Supply/Hydraulics.

The 'program' here isn't a true 'engineering' program - as one would find at WPI or University of Maryland. But I don't believe that is a detractor - I think it is a benefit. You graduate from those schools with a Bachelors of Science in Engineering - you graduate from OSU with a Bachelors of Science in Engineering Technology.

again - if you have any questions about the curriculum here - follow the link -- http://fpst.okstate.edu/

Or look in my profile and e-mail me.

And your never too old... I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps, before beginning here. I am definetly one of the older students in our program at age 28 ... but it hasn't (and hopefully won't be) a problem.
                          Last edited by FFMcDonald; 07-08-2003, 02:14 AM.
                          Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
                          "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

Jed
                            I honestly don't know if I'd be able to do that
                            As George said, if you don't try you will never know. Aim high, you will probably amaze yourself at what you can do. I just started on my Fire Science degree program online (UMUC which is very good). It is tough but the challenge is exciting and knowing that at the end of the day I have accomplished something is worth it.

Good Luck to you. Don't give up!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X