"Bring em' on" - G. Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bring em' on" - G. Bush

Check out the story:Yahoo! News - Bush taking heat for "Bring em' on" comment

Can you believe he's being criticized for this? This guy makes me proud to say I'm an American! Opinions - please.
    Life is only temporary, but freedom goes on forever. God bless those who gave all.

i read a similar story.

U.S. puts bounty on Saddam!

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The U.S. government put a $25 million bounty on Saddam Hussein and $15 million on his sons Thursday, seeking to quell a spreading insurgency fueled by uncertainty over the ousted Iraqi leader's fate.

Saddam's capture is seen as crucial to ending anti-American resistance, which Thursday alone saw at least two Iraqis killed and 10 U.S. soldiers wounded.

"We believe it is important to do everything we can to determine his whereabouts, whether he is alive or dead, in order to assist in stabilizing the situation and letting the people of Baghdad be absolutely sure that he's not coming back," Secretary of State Colin Powell told reporters in Washington.

The last reported sighting of Saddam was April 9 in the Azamiyah neighborhood of northeastern Baghdad as the capital fell. He was targeted by at least two major U.S. airstrikes, but there was never any proof either was successful. Based on information from captured colleagues, officials increasingly believe they were not.

Saddam loyalists are reportedly warning Iraqis not to cooperate with American occupation authorities, saying the ousted leader will one day return to punish those who do. The where-is-Saddam mystery is encouraging the resistance, officials say, as daily attacks against U.S. forces increase.

At least 26 American troops have been killed in hostile fire since major combat was officially declared over on May 1.

In the latest violence Thursday:

- A two-Humvee convoy hit an explosive in Ramadi, 60 miles west of Baghdad, wounding six U.S. soldiers, said Sgt. Patrick Compton, a military spokesman.

- An attacker standing in a car's sunroof in downtown Baghdad fired a rocket-propelled grenade at a U.S. Army convoy, wounding three soldiers. Troops returned fire, killing one Iraqi bystander and wounding two others, witnesses said. After the attack, a limping U.S. soldier sobbed and shook as a colleague help him into a car.

- A sniper fired on a patrol in the west Baghdad neighborhood of Kadamiyah, wounding a soldier from the Army's 1st Armored Division, Compton said. Soldiers fired back, killing the attacker and wounding a 6-year-old boy who was with the man, he said. The soldier and the boy were in stable condition in a military hospital, Compton said.

- In Baqubah, northwest of Baghdad, witnesses said a plastic bag filled with explosives blew up in a crowd of a few hundred Iraqis, who were protesting the U.S. Army's detention of Ali Abdul Kareem al-Madani, the city's top Shiite cleric. Witnesses said one man was killed and five wounded. But Capt. Josh Felker of the U.S. Army's 4th Infantry Division said the explosion occurred when a grenade blew up in a man's hands, wounding three bystanders.

- Soldiers fired at vehicle that failed to stop at a military checkpoint in Baghdad, wounding three adult occupants, the military said.

The $25 million Saddam bounty, announced by the occupation government, will go to anyone who provides information leading to ex-dictator's capture or proof that he is dead. Anyone doing the same for either of his sons, Udai and Qusai, will get $15 million.

Word of the reward is being sent to Iraq and the rest of the Arab world on Radio Sawa, a public diplomacy arm of the U.S. State Department.

The reward for Saddam matches the $25 million that Washington is offering for another top fugitive: Osama bin Laden, the al-Qaida leader missing since U.S. forces helped dislodge the Taliban regime in Afghanistan.

A day after President Bush rankled critics by taunting would-be attackers with the phrase "bring 'em on," the ground forces commander in Iraq cautioned reporters against putting too much emphasis on U.S. casualties and not enough on the progress made in rebuilding Iraq.

"There is still a war going on in this country. The enemy isn't taking a break. They're attacking us every day. But there is no crisis. We shouldn't lose perspective. A lot has been accomplished," said Maj. Gen. Ricardo S. Sanchez.

"We're not really concerned about it. We can handle it. We're killing them on a daily basis when they attack us. We're going to win," he said.

Anger at the U.S. troops has been high, especially in Fallujah, 35 miles west of Baghdad, where an explosion at a mosque killed 10 people Monday. Residents blamed the United States, but U.S. Central Command said the explosion was "apparently related to a bomb manufacturing class that was being taught inside the mosque."

Maj. Geoffery Watson, the intelligence officer for the 3rd Infantry Division's 2nd Brigade, appeared to contradict the Centcom account when he told reporters in Fallujah that he knew of no intelligence on the ground pointing to a bomb-making class.

However, he said the mosque had been broadcasting anti-American messages to the neighborhood "identifying the United States as occupiers."

"The mosque was of concern for a few weeks," Watson said.

The blast caused tempers to flare in a city already known for its anti-U.S. sentiment. Fallujah's mayor and a leading cleric, however, called for calm and urged residents to cooperate with U.S. forces.

Comment

I agree with you 100% Medic129. It's nice to see a President that supports his military the way he does.

Comment

The Democrats need to shut their mouths. If we had a Democratic president then Saddam would still be in power killing millions of innocent poeple because Democrats are too afraid of war. They should just give him a break, yea he might be using a lot of money but atleast he's putting our tax dollars to good use.
        LADIES LOVE ME.
        FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Comment

The "Liberal Nine" have nothing better to do than attack President Bush for every little thing that he has ever done. They need to try to chink away at him becuase there is very little chance that they can beat him in '04. This is why the almighty Hillary Rodham Clinton has not thrown her hat into the ring this time - she can't beat Bush either, but watch out 2008.

While we may see these statements as crude and possibly out of touch, the culture of the middle east requires one to stand tall, cowardice is not an option.
          "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

You guys have bought the whole line of crap they're selling at the white house. Open your eyes and get educated on what's really going on instead of blindly following a group of people who have a score to settle for "poppa bush."

This whole ridiculousness should'a been over before it got started. Oh yeah, and just where is that "weapon of mass destruction?".

Gotta go and watch the fireworks. You have to love a country where we call all celebrate our freedoms but disagree in such a manner!

Comment

Originally posted by ichabod
              Oh yeah, and just where is that "weapon of mass destruction?".
              First off, be realistic about this. There is quite a bit of that country that we have not searched yet. Besides, even if he doesn't have any... he's still a murderer, and he's still a madman. The world is better off without him in power.

Originally posted by ichabod
              You have to love a country where we call all celebrate our freedoms but disagree in such a manner!
              Yes, I agree. Personally, I think Bush is doing a fantastic job. No, he's not perfect, but he's getting the job done, and done well. Could you imagine what it would be like if Gore were in power on 9/11? No thanks...

Comment

The Democrats need to shut their mouths. If we had a Democratic president then Saddam would still be in power killing millions of innocent poeple because Democrats are too afraid of war. They should just give him a break, yea he might be using a lot of money but atleast he's putting our tax dollars to good use.
                The first line of your post costs you credibility. I am absolutely tired of people getting on here and posting small minded statements such as "the democrats need to shut their mouths".

When a democrat is elected president, should republicans then shut their mouths?

There was once a government where only the party in power was allowed to voice an opinion. Maybe you've heard of it. Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

Oh but wait, that was one reason why we needed remove Saddam from power.

A question for ratchet
                Besides, even if he doesn't have any... he's still a murderer, and he's still a madman. The world is better off without him in power.
                Do you endorse sending our troops all over the world to topple all of the regimes who don't abide by our way of running their country?

I seem to remember a candidate running for president who said that the United States should not be in the business of nation building.

What was his name again? George something or other.
                Last edited by Duffman; 07-05-2003, 02:35 AM.
                "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Comment

Duffman.....as I started to read your post I thought...WOW....we agree on something.,....but when I got to the end... I was wrong.

I certainly do not endorse sending troops all over the world to tople nations. But I endorse the use of military force to topple terrorist nations such as Iraq and Afghanistan. Have you forgotten about 09-11 and the fact that these nations not only supported, but were directly involved in the attacks on the United States and have been responsible for other terrorist acts across the world. If allowed to continue they would have struck again.

I do not give a rats $$s about WMD or if they found em. To steal the recent words of a Country Music Singer: "I don't care if we found any WMD or not, it was something that needed to be done and we did it!"

As far as the "physical challenge" by President Bush when he said "Bring em on!".....hmmmmm...not really sure if it was an appropriate choice of words. I support his thoughts and his actions, but not sure that statement is one made for public ears. However, we do need to continue to agressively seek out and destroy terrorist cells around the World and if that is what it takes to bring them out...then so be it.

He is one hell of a president and I salute him!
                  09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                  ------------------------------
                  IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                  "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                  BMI Investigator
                  ------------------------------
                  The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman
                    A question for ratchet: Do you endorse sending our troops all over the world to topple all of the regimes who don't abide by our way of running their country?
                    No, I don't. But two things come to mind here: First, if it helps to keep my family safe to topple these regimes, then yes... I'm for it. Second, if the US government (who probably knows a whole lot more than we do in regards to what is actually going on over there) feels that we need to take action like we did, then I support them.

Again, WMD's or not, I feel this needed to be done. And I'll feel the same way once we set our eyes on the next terrorist organzation.

Originally posted by CaptStanm1
                    He is one hell of a president and I salute him!
                    Well said...
                    Last edited by Ratchet; 07-05-2003, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Have you forgotten about 09-11 and the fact that these nations not only supported, but were directly involved in the attacks on the United States and have been responsible for other terrorist acts across the world. If allowed to continue they would have struck again.
                      capstan,

Of course I have not forgotten about 9/11. I just haven't seen proof that links Saddam to al Qaeda. Last I heard UBL is no fan of Saddam due to his lack of religious influence. Iraq was a secular state as far as government is concerned.

Second, if the US government (who probably knows a whole lot more than we do in regards to what is actually going on over there) feels that we need to take action like we did, then I support them.
                      ratchet,

I refuse to blindly follow the government. I'll bet you weren't so quick to take the Clinton administration at it's word.
                      "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Comment

The problem people have with Dems is the flip flopping that is done according to polls, and not taking a stand and sticking to it. They have no credibility, and very little unity. There is one Dem who keeps standing up, think his name is Bird. Has talked down and still talks down this action because he belives in what he says. Hasn't changed a word before or after. While I totaly disagree with him, I think he is a good American because he sticks to his guns. Kosinick, Dashel, Clinton... poll eyeing snake charmers. A lot of it comes down to values. Rep seems to (true or not) stand for unity, stength, fairness and personal accountability. You work, you get. Do the Dems seems to stand for for these? I no longer have a clue what they stand for except special interest catering.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman
                          ratchet,

I refuse to blindly follow the government. I'll bet you weren't so quick to take the Clinton administration at it's word.
                          Okay, I can understand that. But the fact of the matter is, we will never know "the whole story", and therefore have to put some trust in our leaders to do the right thing. I don't get the impression that GWB did this because his father failed. If I remember correctly, there were many other countries in line with us to go knocking on Saddams door. Granted, this is just my opinion, but I think Bush is doing a fantastic job. As for the Clinton administration, to be honest, I really can't comment on that issue. To be perfectly honest, I never really paid all that much attention to politics in the years prior to 9/11... shame on me, I know. But from what I've seen of our current leadership, it makes me proud to be an American.

Comment

Ratchet I respect your honesty. It is refreshing to hear from someone who will admit their ignorance (don't take that wrong) instead of just jumping on the bash Clinton bandwagon(especially given how easy it is to bash him). I initially was fully behind the war, but have become disenchanted as of late. I won't go into it here, (I don't have the time) but some things have come to light that cause me to question the credibility of the Bush administration.

IACOJ

Comment

Do I share President Bush's confidence in the United States' armed forces? Of course. But do I think it's wise to say something like, "bring 'em on"? No way.

That would be the same as your mayor getting on television and telling all potential arsonists to "light 'em up." I'm sure your fire department is talented... But do you really want to invite additional threats to those you already face every day? I would hope not.
                              sigpic

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X