"has never owned a fire engine"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "has never owned a fire engine"

Don't get me wrong but... I was just checking our dept. grant application on the fema/usfa site, (for the umpteenth time) and the picture / promotion on the page was a fema representative congradulating 'Thurston County Fire District 16s Chief Tim Weible' for 'writing an outstanding grant' Dept. will recieve $225,000 for a pumper/tender truck......OK great so far..... but it states that the district "has never owned a fire engine"
    I commend them for surviving so long with buckets and mutual aide, I mean I've heard of depts with nothing but .......fighting fires with out a pumper, now thats dedication and perserverance.

What ever the full story is, no disrespect intended to the chief or his dept. but the byline struck me as very unusual, hope someone from this dept or a neighboring dept. can enlighten us.

Oh, yes congrats on the sucessful grant.
    (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

Cruise ships,Submarines,etc. dont got fire engines and they do just fine.
    It is amazeing what those damage control guys in subs do,simply amazing.

Comment

OK..... but I was referring to us landlubbers

I see your point, and i suppose no pumper could be ok if your dept only covered wild lands, just a grass truck with a tank and indian tanks, but this does sound weird for a 'normal', run of the mill dept that protects people, buildings etc. Just wondering how they've been doing it (fire fighting) with out a engine / pumper.
      (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
      BE SAFE OUT THERE
      NEVER FORGET
      GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
      IACOJ
      F.O.O.P.

Comment

I have no first hand (or second hand for that matter) information on this specific situation. However, I'm guessing that it is the kind of thing where they either leased their apparatus, or the municipality which they served owned all the apparatus.

But then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I could be wrong. Just a guess.

Stay Safe

Comment

Maybe it should have said "Never owned a NEW engine"??????
          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

on my dept the pumper had been down more then up and finally earier this it went down and has been DNR'ed. we worked many structure fires with just our tankers and mutual aid. it can be done, if there's a will there's a way.
            NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
            IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

In theory, you can have yourself a fire department and an ISO 9 rating with little more than a few folks and a brush truck. Perhaps they've had an operation of that sort.
              sigpic

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X