Leader

Collapse

Camden County Communications BREAKDOWN?!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdoddsjffhnfc
    HNFC FF/President
    • May 2002

Camden County Communications BREAKDOWN?!

It's a Front Page Story in the local Courier-Post. It talks about the Camden County Communications Center and the problems that it has faced. Trust me, officers and engine operators in my department have run into problems with the center in the past, along with almost every other department in Camden County.

It's long, but it's a must read.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"
  • nmfire
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2002

Unfortunately, you situation is all too common. No one wants to spend any money on anything. Unless half the town burns down, the people who have to write the checks do not care because there is no public outcry. People in the dept can complain all they want to whoever they want. Until someone important gets directly effected (physically or by way of losing votes), nothing will change. For some reason, they view "looking at it for 3 years" as "progress".

The vendor specific thing is bull too. I don't care what brand it is as long as it is good stuff and it freakin works. And for that matter, Motorola ain't what they used to be at all anymore.

And I would be willing to bet, if I may predict the future a bit here, that the new fangled system will be just as bad. Oh yea, it will be the latest and greatest. But they will cut so many corners and chop money off of it here and there that it will LOOK great but not work worth a damn.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

• PAVolunteer
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2001

I think they should all get Nextels and use them as radios. That would be a great idea.

Stay Safe

Comment

• EFD840
        MembersZone Subscriber
        • Jun 2000

I get it!

That's just wrong PA, trying to revive the next-hell thread.

Comment

• Bones42
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2001

Most of those interviewed said the system is an immense improvement from days when towns dispatched for themselves.
          Funny. A couple of towns near me are trying to get off the Ocean County system and go to our local town dispatch. Why? Too many problems with the county system. We have been dispatched locally for many years and hope to continue with that trend. We have worked with our mutual aid companies and when systems are incompatible, we have found solutions. Our officer's portables and truck radios are capable of talking with the 6 surrounding departments. We have very little interference and rarely have radio problems. Good Luck to those of you that do.
          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

• nmfire
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2002

Originally posted by PAVolunteer
            I think they should all get Nextels and use them as radios. That would be a great idea.

Stay Safe
            Can you please not get this thread closed by being a Equiestrian Behind again. I'm not even going to waste my breath on that obvious wise-@ssed and unhelpful remark as it will just waste more bandwidth than you already did.

Regional systems CAN be great as long as they are built properly, KEPT UP TO DATE and have adequet staffing. A local system requires the same factors. The only advantage being you only need to fund yourself, not 50 towns. It is just like I-95 out here. It was great when it was built. But it has been over capacity and falling apart for the last 10 years and they are just now starting to do something about it. People complained to the state that the Mianus river bridge was falling apart. The neighbors could see pieces of concrete falling in the water. Did anyone do anything about it? Yea, after it collapsed and a bunch of people died after driving off the bridge into the water.
            Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

• PAVolunteer
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2001

Originally posted by nmfire
              Can you please not get this thread closed by being a Equiestrian Behind again. I'm not even going to waste my breath on that obvious wise-@ssed and unhelpful remark as it will just waste more bandwidth than you already did.
              Sorry Mr. bandwidth police ... I guess we're not allowed to joke around anymore.

Stay Safe

Comment

• dfdex1
                Temporarily Inactive
                • Apr 2002

A couple of towns near me are trying to get off the Ocean County system and go to our local town dispatch. Why? Too many problems with the county system.
                I agree bones,the county system has inherrent flaws in it. It may work for some areas but defently not here---thank God that idea got struck down before it got any momentum.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...