This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Yes 8 and 33 got along for the most part until 33 sold 8 out trying to put 333 in service as a squad. Only time will tell if their actions towards 8 will haunt them when its there turn to be raped by the county

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The fact that some stations are stronger volunteer houses than others is a simple fact. The PGVFRA must look into combining volunteer houses on it own. Knowing that they have no juridiction or authority in this matter I mean more specifically, assist volunteer companies in deciding what is the best track in continuity of service. For instance, how many volunteers would 5, 6 and 26 have if they combined? At least enough to single pull the majority of the time. In response, more individuals would want to volunteer at this "combined station" since they would be around other volunteers.

It is unfortunate that we, as volunteers, do not get along with all paid guys. I would say a basis of this problem lies in the simple fact that volunteers are that, volunteers. They can come and go as they please for the most part and are there because they want to be. On the other hand, many paid firefighters do not take the same pride and love of the job with them to their station. This creates a disconnect which equates to rocky relationships.

It is important to remember that the two stations the Union hates to death, 8 and 33 were once the prime stations - only the best went there. And if you talk to people that were there at the time you'd find the vast majority of the time they got along very well.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    IN REPLY TO HOT DAMN'S POST ON 8 HE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. ALTHOUGH I AM NOT A MEMBER I CAN SAY THAT THEY HAVE THE SAME CORE OF 7 OR 8 VOLUNTEERS THAT HAVE BEEN THROUGH EVERYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED OVER THE PAST YEAR IN ADDITION TO SOME NEW MEMBERS. I THINK TO THE SUPRISE OF ALL INVOLVED THE ADDITION OF SHIFT MEN AND AN AMBULANCE HAS WENT RATHER SMOOTH. 8 IS STILL BEING WRITTEN UP BY SURROUNDING VOLUNTEERS WHO ARE TRYING TO COVER THERE *** AS IT BURNS UNDER THE MICROSCOPE THAT GOT 8. I CAN SEE 2 BRAND NEW FREIGHTLINERS GOING IN SERVICE IN THE 1ST BATT AMB 379 AND AMB 339

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have one thing to say about the PGFD and that is FREE MIKE HARRISON

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

FIREMAN902 - The idea of having a non incident based fill in system established for the “volunteer hours” would take a lot of work and cooperation to get going. The thought was that if one station has extra manning (EMT or F/F) that could be detailed for a couple hours, this would prevent another station from going under staffed. The department chiefs are the only ones that can take the first step in bringing this to reality. The chief is in charge of manpower and apparatus. If the station chiefs are not going to support the idea it will not happen. As far as Kentland is concerned, I do not have enough “Stars and Bars” on my helmet to make a start (I am not passing the buck, I am not in charge
    There are a lot of issues that will need to be worked out first. If Co 9 transfers an engine to Co 2 with a Lt. and 2 F/F and there is a Lt. at Co 2 that wants to ride, who rides the seat and who is in charge? If Co 2 had a crew but no driver, would a qualified driver from another station be allowed to drive the apparatus at Co 2 or would the driver have to bring a piece from their station?

Does anybody else have any ideas that could help getting fully staffed units on the street?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I've been following this topic for a while now and hope it continues. Weather you people belive it or not this topic may help all sides in the long run. the question was asked why does the union not what its members to be volunteers, the answer is quite simple I'll try to explain

The union has one major tool it has to have to survive that quite simply is Bargaining Power. Without that power it does not survive, and simply vol f/f diminish that power. If all the vol depts in the county were like 33 for example, the union f/f would not be needed and that is a big threat to the union, so that is the last thing they want to see happening. The main reason the union does not want its members volunteering is for the solidarity of the union, it is detrimental for any union member not to vol in any vol dept because in the purist sense you are taking away a union job. the simplest way for the union to have more power is less or no vol participation. then they call the shots, what else can the county do without them.

Now the question was raised how can a union member go out and do a non union job. the simple answer is they can not if they are pure union members and belive totally in the way of the union. The answer that it is not a union shop is pure BS, you can't have it both ways either you are for unions or you are not a true union member, that simple.

Now the above statements are not meant to bash any side in this discussion, but just the true idea of the union way, not the IAFF but the way all unions have to operate if they are to survive for without that solidarity they don't survive.

Now how are both sides to survive in your currant situation. Quite simply the volunteers are going to have to unite as the union has, for without uniting the vol system is on its way out, it's only a matter of time. Now when and if you can unite the two sides are going to have to get together and work things out, that's going to mean compromises on BOTH sides, that is the ONLY way it is going to work for both sides to work together and survive.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It's got to work both ways. If I am not supposed to volunteer because I am a union member than so be it. BUT....what about all those local 1619 members who leave thier good goverment union jobs in the morning a go to work in trades such as plumming, electricians, painters, carpenters, etc. I'm sure they don't feel as though they are taking jobs away from thier brothers in the trade unions. They will argue that they are working in non-union shops. Well ladies and gentleman, the volunteer fire departments in this county are independant, non-profit corperations, we have no employees and therefore are NON UNION SHOPS.... were here to stay... GET OVER IT and move on.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I believe with the electrician and plumpers union if you do non-union work you could be blackballed from the union and not get them good paying jobs. I could be wrong. Plus think about it, if union brothers from other depts weren't volunteering there just might more of us and less volunteers. Of course thats what the union would want, and that is what is needed now.
    I have this question, since so many volunteers like to bash the county, just where do you get some of your money, supplies, and hose?. I know each station is given a budget for stuff like that. Where would some stations be without the money from the county. I know your going to say bingo's, other fund raisers. But some stations can't even get members to ride much less do fund raisers. Don't get me wrong i don't think the county is perfect, it was just a question.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Let ask this..

What do the people in the other unions that volunteer in PG care if the IAFF throws them out. Who gives a crap, they still get all the benefits. Besides, What does the IAFF really do? that are not that big of an impact.

Heres another side: The 1619 gets IAFF to declare vollies in other IAFF locals as rivals right.. well what about the union electricians, and plumbers and other union jobs who are all volunteer firefighters. Now what if their unions whine and cry about it. Should I guy get screwed for volunteering in th fire service? HELL NO.. So why must the 1619 press the issue.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Does anyone know how many uniformed employees the county has? Not counting the last recruit class.

[This message has been edited by SBrooks (edited 02-18-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that the forum screeched to a halt. I, for one, took a breather and re-read & re-assessed everything so far. It's too easy to get distracted in a lengthy forum such as this.

A couple posts back, it was suggested that a seperate live chat or message board be put together. Suggestion for a chat: anyone who has paltalk or mplayer ( www.paltalk.com and www.mplayer.com, they're free), that might be a way for an organized, scheduled text or voice chat. can do video as well, but you pay for video on mplayer.

[This message has been edited by Edwardo9 (edited 02-18-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think its simply a matter of wanting to get rid of the volunteers and trying to make PGFD an all paid system. I really can't blame them for looking out for their own interests, but the problem is there isnt anyone looking out for ours anymore, so it's a rather one sided contest.

To be fair, a majority of the career guys don't hate volunteers, its just a select, very vocal few that create PG-1619's bad name in the volunteer ranks. Although, during the academy all paid guys/girls are pretty much indoctinated into the IAFF stuff, especially the ones that came in as volunteers....

-----
    proud to be a PG "tick"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    That still doesn't answer my question of why did P.G. do what they did.

Is it their hatred towards volunteers?....Do they want the whole system to themselves?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    actually in the IAFF charter it is written that no IAFF member should volunteer as a firefighter or otherb rival organizations ....

What 1619 did was make all the volunteer organizations in PG county "rivals" so the paid guys from Montgomery and DC in particular that still volunteer in PG could have action taken on them by their home unions, which could get them transferred to bad stations, unable to trade, union membership revoked, etc....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Why is Prince George's county local 1619 the only union in the country to want to ban volunteers who are career people in other jurisdictions?

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X