Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I've read of PG County, they do a damn good job. I haven't personally dealt with any FF from there so I can't comment on their attitudes. However, I will say that you will fin people that think their stuff don't stink in ANY department. There are always those that think they're above the rest, there are those that don't care about anything, and then there are the rest of us that do the work.

To answer the question about Valley Stream, it's in Nassau County on Long Island. Probably a fairly busy department, as are most in Nassau, but too far west for me to care about

Comment

Hey Jake- Just a few comments about your last post:

How am I way out of line? What precisely is my attitude? In my posts, I stated that the MAJORITY OF, and not all of the members of PGFD have the "think they walk on water" thing going. I find it extremely difficult to understand how you can come to the conclusion that I have an "attitude" after reading my post. Pretty interesting how my opinion has been deemed an attitude, but then what am I to expect from an ex PGFD firefighter?? I don't have everyday contact with PGFD personnel, but it happens regularly enough; taking classes at MFRI NERTC or College Park, or once in a blue moon riding in DC. And I try to make it down to OC Md for the convention. But mostly from traveling to various stations to do appartus photography. And every time I have had the opportunity to speak to or interact with a PGFD firefighter....wow..75% of the time I am made to feel as if I should be bowing down to the person, and worshipping a PGFD patch on an altar!

What I perceive as an attitude is pride? If you have ridden with R2 FDNY you know that pride is among the prevailing feelings, especially in a Rescue company. Sure, they have their problems just like anyone else, but there is always an amount of pride exhibited by FDNY members, and you know what?? I have never, not once, in about 12 years of riding with various FDNY companies in all 5 boroughs; been made to feel like I do, or be made to have an opinion like I do about PGFD. I have ridden with all 5 rescues, busy companies in the Bronx, Harlem, Bklyn.....I can name at least 15 companies here and now....lets see...6 on a truck, 5 on an engine...do the math on that versus the number of groups...That works out to a few hundrded guys!! Interesting...You'd think that someone, in all that time, in all those companies...companies in one of the biggest, busiest metropolitan fire departments in the world...You'd think that someone would cop an attitude!! I have had guys ask me where I was from, about my volunteer company, how many trucks, runs, do we do ems? making small talk and just natural curiosity- being FRIENDLY!!!...But never have I been made to think lowly of any of them! And about taking my "attitude" into a Philly station? Being my hometown team, I have spent hundreds of hours in Philly stations, and am always welcomed back with open arms....And am constantly asked if I have "heard anything?" yet.

I have ridden with PGFD units. My best friend is a certified FPE who lived at 12's for close to 3-4 years I believe. Members (and friends) of surrounding volunteer companies are in school or have recently been in school, and were live ins. Like I said before, not all of PGFD's members are like this.

And if I take this "attitude" into a paid department?? I am now and have been a career firefighter for the United States Government since 1995.

For everyone else, Jake's comments are precisely what I have been talking about!!! Jake- how come you're not on the job in PGFD, anyways?? Afraid you might punch out a volunteer if he grabs the knob from you???

------------------
      "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Comment

I've been a member with the Laurel VFD for over two years and am EXTREMELY glad to be a volunteer in Prince George's County. I moved here over three years ago and couldn't believe there were volunteers in this large metropolitan area and that they didn't have home response or blue lights in their cars.

I have spent A LOT of time at the station in these two years and my learning curve has been advanced greatly by the large number and diversity of calls I have been on. I was also lucky enough to help provide coverage as an EMT at an alternative music concert and the George Strait Country Music Festival, both held at FED EX Field (Redskins Stadium), and both on a volunteer basis with the PGFD's Special Events Unit.

Having no prior knowledge of the LVFD or PGFD I am incredibly fortunate to have chosen to live where I do. I don't think I would have the same opportunities as a volunteer anywhere else. Hope this gives more insight to everyone else. Take care and be safe.

------------------
        Phil Clinard
        Laurel VFD
        Prince George's Co Sta 10
        Laurel, MD
        www.laurelvfd.org

Comment

Since we have the attention of a few PG FFs I'm going to ask a question that I've been wondering for a long time, but never felt comfortable asking. Keep in mind, I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone with this question.

To what extent is fire prevention done in PG County?? Myself, as a FF would love to run 1 or 2 jobs a day, but at some point someone has to say maybe we should be educating the public a little better as far as fire prevention goes?? It just seems a little odd that no other counties in the US see this amount of fire.

Like I said, I mean no disrespect, PG could have the most active fire prevention programs in the country for all I know. I'm just interested in hearing some opinions.

------------------
          Mike DeVuono

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

These are my opinions and not those of my department.

Comment

Hey Folks

I just recently had the chance to ride along with the Kentland Volunteers (Sta. 33) in PG County. One word sums up that place...WOW

I was treated like gold for the 4 days at the end of December that I did the ride-along. The pride was spilling out the front door as I pulled in the parking lot. They hooked me up with a bunk, included me in on all their meals, and just basically made me feel at home.

I was turned over on their digital camera and was told to get some good pictures...and that I did. These guys went to 3 fires in the 4 days I stayed. I couldn't believe it!

Some say in this forum that they are cocky and have big attitudes in PG. I may have been there only 4 days, but the guys at 33 were simply laid back, cool and just wanted to go to fires.

As far as the rest of the stations in PG I can't say..I didn't ride with them...and on the fire ground with other companies I didn't see any problems.

Sonny Sampson
            F/F Paramedic
            Utica, NY

Comment

--

[This message has been edited by CousinVinny354 (edited 02-08-2001).]

Comment

--

Comment

I am not really sure how much people have heard or read about Prince George's County Fire Department. I can only tell you what I know.

My family has been a part of the department for nearly 40 years. My father, who is still active today, started volunteering at Allentown in 1960 and latered served on the career force. Maybe I am kind of bias, but hear me out. I did not have the opporunity to join until 1995. In that short period of time, I have developed of great sense of pride. It seems like I have always been a part it. As far as my over all opinion, PGFD is definitely among the finest fire suppression organizations in the world. The people, training, and experiences are the best in the business. Nowhere in the world can you volunteer in such a fast paced, intense, urban environment. The county itself is some 400 square miles and has a population over 800,000. Prince George's County is home to Fed-Ex Field, US Air Arena, University of Maryland, and the Bowie Baysox. It's all here...high rises, garden apartments, row houses, duplexes, and commercial buildings. Combine that with a work load of over 160,000 calls a year and super fast fire engines and you have the real deal.

As far as action is concerned, this place is for real. Stations such as Kentland 33, Oxon Hill 42 and, Silver Hill 29 respond to well over 6000 alarms per year. These calls include: structural fires, shootings, assaults, medical locals, motor vehicle accidents, tactical rescues, Haz-Mat and Metro incidents. I grew up hearing the many stories of big apartment blazes in District Heights and amazing rescues in Seat Pleasant and Landover. Well I found out first hand...these are more than just fables. More than once I've been on over 100 structural fires in a single year. And house fires....this place is the house fire meca. Wanna see some heavy fire footage?? Just click on www.kentland33.com

I've chosen to go in a different direction, however I will never forget the true spirit of the fire service which I learned in Prince George's County. These learnings are both of moral character and savage sportsmanship. Prince George's County Fire Department (career and volunteer) exemplifies the meaning of an aggressive firefighting force.

Note, it would not be fair to pat ourselves on the back without giving credit to the brothers who built the system. Those who laid the foundation for a "Bad ***" fire department with a "Kick ***" attitude. The guys who taught us how to wrestle for the pipe. And the guys who spent countless hours at the firehouse responding to 1000's of alarms and saving 100's of lives.

Comment

An open note to the PGFD members and alumni that have responded here: You seem to be among the few that do not display your pride in an arrogant fashion, which is extremely commendable! Again, I must stress that I do not find that all PGFD personnel are like this!! A tip of the helmet to you all.

------------------
                    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Comment

Sorry if I came off a little harsh on Brother Dunlap, but I am always confused whenever it comes to discussions about PG County; why does EVERY topic eventully come back to Kentland 33? It is always "Kentland does this" or "Kentland said that"....Is there that much jealousy about one company does in an entire County with over 40 companies? Why don't the people just worry what is going on in their own stations and work on improving their operations, attitudes, etc. Why does Kentland 33 have to be the measuring stick?

I have another "gripe" about something else said in one of the forums. Does the person complaining about fire prevention in Kentland know that it is a severely financially depressed neighborhood and the people there could care less about fire safety? All they are interested in doing is putting food on their tables and keeping warm in winter. And if it means heating their homes with kerosene heaters or jumping out electrical services just to have electricity, then they are going to do whatever it takes to stay warm -- regardless of the fire codes. Fire safety? They could care less...wake up and smell the coffee...The fires seem to all be in residential occupancies where no inspector is permitted to enter...

Hey, Sonny, I have a question for you -- I have always considered myself to be a "serious amateur" photographer; do you think if I came down to the land that everyone worries about, I could get "turned over" on their digital camera? I would love to shoot some fires in that place that everyone worries about!

Comment

Knobhog:

I'm sure that they would be very gracious to you if you wished to take some pics on a ride-along. Just give their station a call, the # is on their website www.kentland33.com
                        Ask for the Captain that goes by the name Bart...he takes care of the ride along program.

To add to your statement on fire prevention..
                        I was told that PG county has a mandatory sprinkler law for all new construction and renovation..INCLUDING residential homes. Now that is proactive fire prevntion! And man you are right...the place is definetly the hood!

Sonny Sampson
                        F/F Paramedic
                        Utica, NY

Comment

Well, since we are talking about PG county...

I've been a volunteer here for over five years, at Berwyn Heights VFD (14) in northern PG county. Some of my best friends are live-ins at Co. 33, and I have ridden with them many times (although i've definitely raised a glass with them more)

Kentland 33 _IS_ a great place...they have several things going for them. #1 an outstanding existing membership, both in numbers and quality...#2 Excellent leadership, focused on getting the job done, AND keeping their members happy...#3 NO ambulance...they respond to an ungodly number of medical locals, and instead of having to ride out on an ambo, or even the engine, they get their junior driver and junior man to take the mini-pumper, keeping the wagon in service...#4 A just about Perfect location, they have a huge first due, an even bigger second due, and their total response area counts a large portion of the central (dense, poor) portion of the county. Remember, an apartment fire in PG gets the closest 7 stations...#5 the ability to transfer: their large membership and lack of an ambo virtually guarantees that they'll have two crews. Other station with an ambulance need to have 9 guys to tranfer (3 on the engine to transfer, 4 on the TW or E, and 2 on the A) 33 can do it with 7.

My station (14) is to the north of kentland, and is in a much more economically viable area...we're situated between UMCP, NASA-Greenbelt and the Beltsville USDA research center, however we run a great Heavy rescue squad...2500+ runs in 2000, and we generally don't run it on medicals or local alarms (we have an ambulance and a tiller truck for those) we'd run more, but because economics have allowed several nearby stations to put squads in service over the last few years (Cos. 1 & 18, 33 is still trying) our response area has diminished. We don't run near as many fires as kentland does (i'd guess around 30 last year, of various magnitudes) but we cut cars all the time.

As far as PGFD being a great organization...Bullsh*t. PGFD couldn't find it's *** with a map. There are some great career personnel and officers, but for the most part, what you hear of PG is the volunteers: the KVFDs, BVFCs, ARVFDs, SPVFDs, BHVFDs, CPFDs, etc.

For all of you young men who think they might want to get a degree in fire scince, or FPE, come to UMCP, join a station, and keep the spirit alive.

Comment

--

Comment

I have a question. Being a "back-woods" boy who still lacks a solid fire oriented education, what kind of turn-over rate do they have in PG? What are the odds of a Utah boy getting a spot for a few years while I finished school? I have a career Emergency job right now. I lack the Fire degree that I have always dreamed of and the Paramedicine degree to write my career future. My department currently runs 350+ calls a year. Most of those calls are medical oriented. We have a few actual fires a year (8-10) and 20-30 extrications. I have a solid medical base right now, but would like to expand my fire experiances.

Mark

------------------
                              If in doubt - Call us out

Comment

The people I have met from PGFD both Career and Volunteer are great. None have ever come off with cocky or the My **** Don't Stink attitude. On another note I was Wondering if Co. 14 sold there rescue-pumper yet?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X