• Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    --

[This message has been edited by CousinVinny354 (edited 02-08-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey Cousin Vinny,

I don't have a hardon for Kentland or anyone else in PG County. In fact, I have several friends and accquantances (including your father)who are members at 33. All I am trying to say is that the system is not as great as people in this forum try to present it. Compared to many other sytems, both career and volunteer, it is excellent (including 33). But, when a career lieutentant or captain has to respond driver only on an engine because the rest of the crew is out on an ambulance run, something is wrong. The volunteers who are supposed to make up the rest of the crew aren't there. I realize that this doesn't happen at 33, but it IS happening at many other places in the county.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm from a small Volunteer department(30 members, 270 runs FY2000) and it sounds like the PG departments are top notch. I hope the Captain that said he has seen irresponsible and free lance attitudes was witnessing isolated instances. We must have pride in our departments and our work or it lends to a poor performance on the fire ground and in training. A department that has low esteem is dangerous. I started out on a department that averaged 6 structure fires a year but when it came to very large prairie or wildland fires we had plenty. These enabled us to have pride in our department because it's what we did best. We led the way! Now I'm on a department that averages 2 - 3 structure fires a month plus the large grass fires, MVAs' on a major turnpike, EMS, rescue, oil battery fires etc... We definitely have a good reputation with surrounding departments and we are very proud of our performance. We're safe, yet aggressive. Now with all that said, I hope your statement about departments that have only a couple structure fires a year, was not intended as a put down. I respect departments that are slower than we are yet they stay with it year in and year out. Think of the dedication that takes. I think these departments should be very proud of what they do, as long as they stay trained and stay safe. It definitely takes more work and guts to keep with it when you only have a few actual fires a year. Hats off to these Brothers. I'm talking like we're really busy but in comparison not even close, but we are very proud of who we are. I hope your departments keep the good reputation you have through not only aggressiveness but with excellence. By the way Bridgecreek Ok is twenty miles southwest of OKC. You may have heard about the F-5 tornado that wiped out a good portion of our community on May 3rd, 1999. Stay safe.

Tell your family you love them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    --

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????

[This message has been edited by Capt. D (edited 01-25-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    --

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The people I have met from PGFD both Career and Volunteer are great. None have ever come off with cocky or the My **** Don't Stink attitude. On another note I was Wondering if Co. 14 sold there rescue-pumper yet?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have a question. Being a "back-woods" boy who still lacks a solid fire oriented education, what kind of turn-over rate do they have in PG? What are the odds of a Utah boy getting a spot for a few years while I finished school? I have a career Emergency job right now. I lack the Fire degree that I have always dreamed of and the Paramedicine degree to write my career future. My department currently runs 350+ calls a year. Most of those calls are medical oriented. We have a few actual fires a year (8-10) and 20-30 extrications. I have a solid medical base right now, but would like to expand my fire experiances.

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    --

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well, since we are talking about PG county...

I've been a volunteer here for over five years, at Berwyn Heights VFD (14) in northern PG county. Some of my best friends are live-ins at Co. 33, and I have ridden with them many times (although i've definitely raised a glass with them more)

Kentland 33 _IS_ a great place...they have several things going for them. #1 an outstanding existing membership, both in numbers and quality...#2 Excellent leadership, focused on getting the job done, AND keeping their members happy...#3 NO ambulance...they respond to an ungodly number of medical locals, and instead of having to ride out on an ambo, or even the engine, they get their junior driver and junior man to take the mini-pumper, keeping the wagon in service...#4 A just about Perfect location, they have a huge first due, an even bigger second due, and their total response area counts a large portion of the central (dense, poor) portion of the county. Remember, an apartment fire in PG gets the closest 7 stations...#5 the ability to transfer: their large membership and lack of an ambo virtually guarantees that they'll have two crews. Other station with an ambulance need to have 9 guys to tranfer (3 on the engine to transfer, 4 on the TW or E, and 2 on the A) 33 can do it with 7.

My station (14) is to the north of kentland, and is in a much more economically viable area...we're situated between UMCP, NASA-Greenbelt and the Beltsville USDA research center, however we run a great Heavy rescue squad...2500+ runs in 2000, and we generally don't run it on medicals or local alarms (we have an ambulance and a tiller truck for those) we'd run more, but because economics have allowed several nearby stations to put squads in service over the last few years (Cos. 1 & 18, 33 is still trying) our response area has diminished. We don't run near as many fires as kentland does (i'd guess around 30 last year, of various magnitudes) but we cut cars all the time.

As far as PGFD being a great organization...Bullsh*t. PGFD couldn't find it's *** with a map. There are some great career personnel and officers, but for the most part, what you hear of PG is the volunteers: the KVFDs, BVFCs, ARVFDs, SPVFDs, BHVFDs, CPFDs, etc.

For all of you young men who think they might want to get a degree in fire scince, or FPE, come to UMCP, join a station, and keep the spirit alive.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Knobhog:

I'm sure that they would be very gracious to you if you wished to take some pics on a ride-along. Just give their station a call, the # is on their website www.kentland33.com
    Ask for the Captain that goes by the name Bart...he takes care of the ride along program.

To add to your statement on fire prevention..
    I was told that PG county has a mandatory sprinkler law for all new construction and renovation..INCLUDING residential homes. Now that is proactive fire prevntion! And man you are right...the place is definetly the hood!

Sonny Sampson
    F/F Paramedic
    Utica, NY

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sorry if I came off a little harsh on Brother Dunlap, but I am always confused whenever it comes to discussions about PG County; why does EVERY topic eventully come back to Kentland 33? It is always "Kentland does this" or "Kentland said that"....Is there that much jealousy about one company does in an entire County with over 40 companies? Why don't the people just worry what is going on in their own stations and work on improving their operations, attitudes, etc. Why does Kentland 33 have to be the measuring stick?

I have another "gripe" about something else said in one of the forums. Does the person complaining about fire prevention in Kentland know that it is a severely financially depressed neighborhood and the people there could care less about fire safety? All they are interested in doing is putting food on their tables and keeping warm in winter. And if it means heating their homes with kerosene heaters or jumping out electrical services just to have electricity, then they are going to do whatever it takes to stay warm -- regardless of the fire codes. Fire safety? They could care less...wake up and smell the coffee...The fires seem to all be in residential occupancies where no inspector is permitted to enter...

Hey, Sonny, I have a question for you -- I have always considered myself to be a "serious amateur" photographer; do you think if I came down to the land that everyone worries about, I could get "turned over" on their digital camera? I would love to shoot some fires in that place that everyone worries about!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    An open note to the PGFD members and alumni that have responded here: You seem to be among the few that do not display your pride in an arrogant fashion, which is extremely commendable! Again, I must stress that I do not find that all PGFD personnel are like this!! A tip of the helmet to you all.

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am not really sure how much people have heard or read about Prince George's County Fire Department. I can only tell you what I know.

My family has been a part of the department for nearly 40 years. My father, who is still active today, started volunteering at Allentown in 1960 and latered served on the career force. Maybe I am kind of bias, but hear me out. I did not have the opporunity to join until 1995. In that short period of time, I have developed of great sense of pride. It seems like I have always been a part it. As far as my over all opinion, PGFD is definitely among the finest fire suppression organizations in the world. The people, training, and experiences are the best in the business. Nowhere in the world can you volunteer in such a fast paced, intense, urban environment. The county itself is some 400 square miles and has a population over 800,000. Prince George's County is home to Fed-Ex Field, US Air Arena, University of Maryland, and the Bowie Baysox. It's all here...high rises, garden apartments, row houses, duplexes, and commercial buildings. Combine that with a work load of over 160,000 calls a year and super fast fire engines and you have the real deal.

As far as action is concerned, this place is for real. Stations such as Kentland 33, Oxon Hill 42 and, Silver Hill 29 respond to well over 6000 alarms per year. These calls include: structural fires, shootings, assaults, medical locals, motor vehicle accidents, tactical rescues, Haz-Mat and Metro incidents. I grew up hearing the many stories of big apartment blazes in District Heights and amazing rescues in Seat Pleasant and Landover. Well I found out first hand...these are more than just fables. More than once I've been on over 100 structural fires in a single year. And house fires....this place is the house fire meca. Wanna see some heavy fire footage?? Just click on www.kentland33.com

I've chosen to go in a different direction, however I will never forget the true spirit of the fire service which I learned in Prince George's County. These learnings are both of moral character and savage sportsmanship. Prince George's County Fire Department (career and volunteer) exemplifies the meaning of an aggressive firefighting force.

Note, it would not be fair to pat ourselves on the back without giving credit to the brothers who built the system. Those who laid the foundation for a "Bad ***" fire department with a "Kick ***" attitude. The guys who taught us how to wrestle for the pipe. And the guys who spent countless hours at the firehouse responding to 1000's of alarms and saving 100's of lives.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    --

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader