This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    There are several reasons why volunteerism is down.

Overall, it is down across the country, and has been declining for years. This is due in large part to changing attitudes. People are no longer as community oriented as they used to be.

EMS is another reason. I have witnessed over & over again people joining to fight fire, yet having to run 20 ambulance calls for every fire call. They get disgusted with the ambulance and either go somewhere that doesn't have one, or quit altogether. Like it or not, EMS is here to stay, and will only grow. One bad side effect of EMS is that it tends to chase away firefighters.

Firehouse politics, burgoning (sp?) training requirements, increased demands by work, family life, etc. all play a part. It used to be that we could count on community spirit to get members, but that isn't always an option anymore. We need to find new ways to attract AND retain volunteers.

Just another $0.02 for the virtual kitty....

Ed

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Alot of people just don't fit the system, not everyone is willing to fight for the line or go to the floor above without it. Many of them are already members inside the beltway and they are either learning the way things are done or just don't belong and they are not all vollies. If you are a member of a firehouse in PG you do not have to run your mouth, you have plenty of chances to prove yourself at a fire. The people who belong here will show up and I have to give 33 credit they promote themselves very well and have a lot of these people but they must also find some guys that can't even layout. The point is the people who belong in PG will show up and become members the ones who don't will just run their mouths.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    --

[This message has been edited by CousinVinny354 (edited 02-08-2001).]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Probably the best post so far vinny, instead of concentrating on ourselves and individual stations, this is the place to express all that bs stuff and all the other stuff on how we can better ourselves and better the overall volunteer population and retention in this county with who we have right now.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    --

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    A couple things:

1) Truck 9 went out a while ago, and is getting several things done to it, among them are body work, msp inspection, and new equipment mounted. Don't have an exact date for it's return yet, but be assured, it will be back in service.

2) Not all of us at 9 are related. Most, but not all.

3) As long as we're paying homage to those individuals who make notable quotes on the radio, let us not forget the highly talented people at communications who (a) can't hardly speak english, (b) don't know the difference between an engine, truck, and/or snow plow, (c) make up box assignments as they see fit, (d) are response-checking us 45 seconds after initial dispatch at 3am because they think we sleep in the apparatus, (e) refer cardiac arrest calls to the county police, etc etc etc. I've heard 259 go off the air, and her voice can peel paint & shatter glass, but she's a helluva lot better then some of our dispatchers.

4) As far as who can vote at the county association meeting, the requirements are as follows: the volunteer company in question must have volunteer members, must have its annual dues paid up, must meet current county apparatus standards, and have submitted the last year's statistical report. The actual individuals authorized to vote are determined by the individual volunteer company. A list of these individuals is then submitted to the county association.

Hope that answers a few questions.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The quote from vinny, "united we stand......." is the best one in here, but you have to understand how this forum started out. Now it is a lot of guys in here from pg and many others who are just interested in what goes on here. We are now to the point in here of just like the general firehouse stuff like the radio posts and stuff and thats good to see that we have gotten past many of the earlier differences. I would be led to believe this received so many hits just because of the title of the forum. This is not an arrogant comment in any way, it just makes the point that people are generally intersted to see what is going on in a county with many +/- to be looked at. In terms of my station, you guys can say as you want, it doesnt really bother me or anyone else here. Things here have improved a lot of the past year or so and I just want to make the point that you can't live in the past and go on past experiences forever.

Who gets to vote at the volunteer association meetings?
    Does anyone know as an absolute definite if the county ever did put the order in for the new engines they were going to get? I have heard mixed facts and wanted to know for sure. (County apparatus? that could be a whole forum in its own)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    pgvolunteer --

Holy Sh#t I didn't realize that.... I guess that's why the subject is called PG County, MD?? I should have put 2 and 2 together on that one Of course I realize this is a specific topic that would be the reason my first statement in my post was "I realize the subject is PG..."

However, take a step out of the microcosm you are posting to and realize that there is far too much of putting ourself on a high horse, "I'm better than you" crap in some of these forums. It is evident in this subject by some guys bashing other companies in their same dept. It's evident in some other posts where we can do nothing but criticize yet we haven't walked a day in the target's shoes. Great, maybe you deserve to brag, maybe the other guys do suck and great your confident in your talents. I like a high level of confidence in a FF, it's one of the things I look for when teaching the various classes I get assigned to.

I will admit, I have been impressed by SOME of the attitudes of these posts. The sticking together(of some), the defending of others (by some), etc. These are features that all of the fire service should have. It's what it's founded on. We teach and expect each FF to look out for one another like the brothers we are supposed to be. Occassionally there are some who need to get out of their bubble and realize they are not the only dept out there and that rather than boasting about yourselves, you could possibly post in some of the Firematic forums such as Tactics, or Safety and Survival. You guys have a lot of great experience in the response areas you cover, maybe some if it could be constructively used as advice to others who don't, rather that 100+ posts about how great company x is and how company y bites and yet when a guy from a smaller less busy dept posts looking for advice, he gets 3 responses. What's up with that? Are we really only out for ourselves and the hell with the rest of our so called 'brothers' and 'sisters'? Dear God I hope not.....

Hey don't take me wrong, my hats off to PG as a whole for what they do and how they do it. With the excpetion of a few of the attitudes I have seen (and I refuse to judge a whole by only a few reps.) things seem to be pretty top notch and I am itching to take a trip down for a weekend to spend some time. I am simply trying to open the field of vision here and remind some guys that there's alot out there other then themselves. "Tunnel Vision" in the the fire service is bad, and it seems to be taking that direction in some of these posts.

Keep up the good work, and more importantly, Stay safe........

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I felt compelled to include another classic return by none other than Chief 32...

"Chief 32 to communications, I'm about 2 miles out and got fire dancin' in the sky, looks like the boys got 'emselves another job, go ahead and flip-em over"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    FFTrainer:

Thats all well and good for the fire service as a whole - BUT, if you hadn't noticed this is a pretty specific thread we are talking about...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by CousinVinny354:

God Bless all volunteers in PG.. United we Stand, Divided we fall" (fail in some cases)

I realize the subject is PG, but can we all do ourselves a favor and read Vinny's quote above and apply it to the Fire Service in general? Unity is our strongest weapon whether you're in PG, FDNY, Ruralville, USA or any size in between. The bottom line is we're all in this one together let's act that way.

Stay safe!!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    --

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    ---Fireman902---

You began your last post by saying how nice it was that we are all united, then you proceded to slam 5 brother companies. Whats up with that?

Maybe you should see your doctor. There are many safe and effective treatments for multiple personality disorder.....

I appreciate your comment regarding the 2/3/4 situation, I don't completely dissagree with you. All 3 corporations are suffering from a lack of membership, EXTREMELY poor leadership and a complete lack of support.

So how do we fix this situation?

My email address is on my profile if you want to comment privately.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It is quite a good feeling to hear many individuals comment on the positive and intelligent nature of many of the posts recently.

The answer to the question is to get out and represent your company in the PGVFRA meetings and the Fire Commission. The members who run the fire calls should run for office, not those that ran them 20 years ago and don't know their *** from a hole in the wall. If you don't want to run for office then let them know what YOU want and that they represent you.

Second, stop slaming other companies. The point has been proven that we can unite when needed - well it is needed. Everyone does things differently, everyone f**ks up once in a while. Granted some more than others, but the more you do your job the better your going to be at it. And in PG, even the slow companies do it more than most any other place in the nation. This fact is why many may percieve our aggressiveness, cockiness and other attitudes as "holier than thou," but as mentioned it is pride at its best for not only our individual department, but our county (not the county fire department though) as well. Keep it up!

Lastly, one of the first post on this 6th page should be paid close attention to. The departments in PG work together, as well as stab each other in the back. How many times have you rode on another companies piece when yours were out of service? Had companies transfer for funerals, banquets or other events? Seen an outpouring of support for department in need? Probably more than you can count if you've been around awhile.

Well remember those actions when your supporting the county by nitpicking and writing complaints up, or supporting eroneous county complaints against companies. It destroyed 7 and 8 and they won't stop anytime soon.

In conclusion:

RON SIANICKI and the bandwagon (COLs, Majors, etc.) - We know your out there listening to this. Scared to provide your input? The tide seems to be turning...not in your favor. A forum may be meaningless, but what comes next?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am Happy to see everybody uniting here. This really shows how the volunteers in the county are a family, and can fight like one, but ultimatly remain united!!

Reference the 3 Pumpers from a station.
    The reason 20 can run 3 is their 3rd pumper is a county reserve.

Reference the double pulling.
    Yes, after 2/20, only the first 3 DUE companies can multipull, except for Wagon/pumpers, any engine company can pull wagon/pumper. It will be very confusing weeks ahead.

2/3/4 are all worthless.

Chief 32 has to be the best Chief on the radio out there.

12 Sucks. The slide-rules there always sound like they have a fire when they just need to reset the bells. God help them if they ever saw fire.

9's Crew sound like they all are related, and they have S**T in their mouths.

The girl from 25 wakes everyone up at 0300 with her voice.

What about a med local in 10's area....
    "498 going to 1........101 going to 1.......Chief 49b going to 1........Chief 49, does my station have a call?"

They do not belong on 2/7 at all...they belong on 1 with the EMS units!!!!

That is all,

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X