This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple things:

1) Truck 9 went out a while ago, and is getting several things done to it, among them are body work, msp inspection, and new equipment mounted. Don't have an exact date for it's return yet, but be assured, it will be back in service.

2) Not all of us at 9 are related. Most, but not all.

3) As long as we're paying homage to those individuals who make notable quotes on the radio, let us not forget the highly talented people at communications who (a) can't hardly speak english, (b) don't know the difference between an engine, truck, and/or snow plow, (c) make up box assignments as they see fit, (d) are response-checking us 45 seconds after initial dispatch at 3am because they think we sleep in the apparatus, (e) refer cardiac arrest calls to the county police, etc etc etc. I've heard 259 go off the air, and her voice can peel paint & shatter glass, but she's a helluva lot better then some of our dispatchers.

4) As far as who can vote at the county association meeting, the requirements are as follows: the volunteer company in question must have volunteer members, must have its annual dues paid up, must meet current county apparatus standards, and have submitted the last year's statistical report. The actual individuals authorized to vote are determined by the individual volunteer company. A list of these individuals is then submitted to the county association.

Hope that answers a few questions.

Comment

• --

[This message has been edited by CousinVinny354 (edited 02-08-2001).]

Comment

• Probably the best post so far vinny, instead of concentrating on ourselves and individual stations, this is the place to express all that bs stuff and all the other stuff on how we can better ourselves and better the overall volunteer population and retention in this county with who we have right now.

Comment

• --

[This message has been edited by CousinVinny354 (edited 02-08-2001).]

Comment

• Alot of people just don't fit the system, not everyone is willing to fight for the line or go to the floor above without it. Many of them are already members inside the beltway and they are either learning the way things are done or just don't belong and they are not all vollies. If you are a member of a firehouse in PG you do not have to run your mouth, you have plenty of chances to prove yourself at a fire. The people who belong here will show up and I have to give 33 credit they promote themselves very well and have a lot of these people but they must also find some guys that can't even layout. The point is the people who belong in PG will show up and become members the ones who don't will just run their mouths.

Comment

• There are several reasons why volunteerism is down.

Overall, it is down across the country, and has been declining for years. This is due in large part to changing attitudes. People are no longer as community oriented as they used to be.

EMS is another reason. I have witnessed over & over again people joining to fight fire, yet having to run 20 ambulance calls for every fire call. They get disgusted with the ambulance and either go somewhere that doesn't have one, or quit altogether. Like it or not, EMS is here to stay, and will only grow. One bad side effect of EMS is that it tends to chase away firefighters.

Firehouse politics, burgoning (sp?) training requirements, increased demands by work, family life, etc. all play a part. It used to be that we could count on community spirit to get members, but that isn't always an option anymore. We need to find new ways to attract AND retain volunteers.

Just another $0.02 for the virtual kitty....

Ed

Comment

• EMS is here to stay...maybe.

A century ago, we put the wet stuff on the red stuff. A century from now, we wil put the wet stuff on the red stuff (when the sprinkler's fail )

Someone from 30 years ago would not recognize EMS as it is today, unless they where involved in some of the very first modern systems. Someone pulled from today and transported 30 years into the future will probably not recognize EMS then.

Let's face it -- EMS as it is today is NOT a cost effective way of delivering health-care. There is far too much that could be delivered in the field without transport and ER evaluation.

The fire service has a legitimate role to play in truly emergent events...but most prehospital care does not need to, and at some point in the future will not, be provided on an emergency basis.

Career departments basing their staffing justifications on EMS may see themselves behind the 8-ball 30 years from now as emphasis moves from Emergency Medical Systems to true Field Medical Systems -- systems run by public health services and not emergency services.

It would be sad to see volunteer fire services, which in many areas are the most economical for fire protection, be sacrificed trying to provide a service which may no longer exist a generation from now.

(And for that matter, it would be sad to see career departments that spent many years justifying their staffing on the easy excuse of "EMS" instead of providing proper fire protection findng themselves without that excuse...)

Matt

Comment

• To whomever asked about if PG County has ordered new apparatus.... I have the answer...

YES, the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department has in fact ordered (5) Seagrave pumpers off of the GSA Contract.

Many people have been misinformed and do not believe they have been ordered. The fact of the matter is that the order is in, however the folks at Apparatus Maintenance (Benedetti) is waiting to receive the final specifications/drawings as there are some change to the basic GSA Contract specs.

As for the PG County Volunteer Fire & Rescue Association and who can vote, etc...

The earlier post is correct... each company must be in good standing with the Association (i.e. dues paid, statistical reports in, etc...) Each company must submit a list of delegates/alternates to the Advisory Board of the PGCVFRA, as well as a list of delegates/alternates for the Annual Convention. Only these people truly have the right to VOTE on Association matters.

This is partly wherein the problem lies... a vast majority of the people who attend Association meetings are not usually the OPERATIONAL OFFICERS, many in fact no longer actively ride... So, like so many other Volunteer Firefighter Associations, you typically have people making decisions that do not actively ride... we will refer to that as the Old Timer's Club syndrome.

In addition to the PG Volunteer Fire & Rescue Association, The PG Volunteers also have a voice through the Chief's Council... This is primarily where operational matters are decided upon, and this group includes both volunteer and career input.

I've had the opportunity to experience several "COMBINATION" departments, and I can say this... They all have their strengths, and they all have their weaknesses. Typically, the systems that have evolved in these jurisdictions works for them... and that is what matters...

Keep in mind, PG County is still a very YOUNG combination department... The combination system in PG only dates back to the 1970's (excuse me for not remembering the exact date).

Comment

• Fireman902 are you even a PG volunteer? If so what station, because you have a lot to say about other departments in the system. What about your department can u you double pull every night fully staffed? probably not, so why don't you stop knocking departments that get out.

Comment

• Hello, I am new to the Forum. The site was brought to my attention from a friend. I am happy to be a part of such a solid organization, the PG Volunteers.

Reference to the comments about dispatchers. Just like firefighters, there are good dispatchers and bad ones. Please do not generalize us based on one or two people. We try hard. It is not as easy as one may think. We have a brand new computer system that the county half-a**ed bought, so it is not complete. We constantly have to refer to the old system, which is leaving in a week or so. Then we have all the chief officers calling asking why they are not due or such. All we can say is we are human. We do not purposly take stations off calls. We welcome anyone who wants to, to come see how it is. Please do not speculate until you have actually experienced it.

My email is in my profile if you would like to ask any particular questions.

Comment

• Edwardo9:

As for Harford County....I believe it is the only 100% volunteer fire & EMS staffed County left in Maryland. There are no paid EMS or fire personnel. Couple of the stations in Harford County are very busy. Co.4,8 & 3 do over 4,000 runs a year.

Question for PG guys. If you guys get a structure fire in your 1st due and you run 3 engines- is that counted as three runs? In Harford County a structure fire calls for 4 engines and a truck, we count this as 1 call only. If we counted each unit that responded would that give us 5 runs?
                        Just curious.

Comment

• bsynd -St Mary, Prince Fredrick and Charles are all volunteer counties in Maryland also (Fire and BLS/ALS).

Comment

• Kent, Queen Anne's & Cecil county are also "all volunteer" fire/rescue, though each jurisdiction offers Paramedic services via "chase cars" that upgrade volunteer units on ALS incidents. And I am sure there are more... how about the lower Eastern Shore... with the exception of some EMS in Ocean City and a combination system in Saulsbury, the rest is volunteer...

And one thing to add about Kentland... They always brag about being "100% VOLUNTEER" yet station 46 (the bastard step-child) has some career staffing. So maybe they should brag that they are "mostly Volunteer"

Comment

• For clarification purposes:

The runs which are published in the yearly Convention book are based off those not provided by the station, but the County. That being the case the **** runs a company does is counted by incident, not the number of responding apparatus.

If it was responding apparatus then 10 would be probably at 8,000 and 33 would probably be at 12,000. The county itself would have a call volume (responding apparatus) somewhere in the neighborhood of 400,000+.

Haven't heard from Ron yet, anyone else?

Comment

• Not to horn in here but I'll speak up for the Lower Shore....Worcester, Wicomico and Somerset Counties all have some sort of paid EMS in the various towns/jurisdictions. Salisbury is a combination Dept with round the clock EMS, and is the only Dept that I know of staffed with Paid FF's. On another note....I'll be in Kentland the end of the month to ride. Just wish I could push a button to make the days speed up a bit. Be Safe all.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X