Future of firefighting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of firefighting??

What do you want to see happen with the fire departments in the future? or what do you fear will happen with them?
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Quints,understaffing,inspections,Haz-Mat,EMS ,WMD/NBC attacks,stupid people getting stupider.

Comment

[QUOTE]
      stupid people getting stupider.[QUOTE]

JOB SECURITY!

- Thomas Edison

Comment

I see the consolidation of Police and Fire for smaller depts. And the rise of one stop trucks ie Quints. And more HAZMATS, less fire with the advance in technology and home sprinklers.
        AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

Ohhh and cars will get more and more dangerous for firefighters to extracate you from.

Comment

Why is that dfd??

- Thomas Edison

Comment

Newer cars now hide batterys in all sorts of places like the trunk or like Audi has a cover that makes the dissapear in the firewall. These new hybrid cars are going to have batterys sitting under your seat and also you will have VERY HIGH VOLTAGE wires running through the car. with tiny oragne dissconnect switches behind the trim in the trunk. Plus you got to now worry about un deployed air bags coeming out and hitting you not only from in front but from the door top and bottoms. In a few year 4pt. restraint systems will become more common as well as tougher stronger seats. Also those shotgun shells in the b B posts that hold your seat belt in are just a joy. Compound these things with current dangers like shocks impaleing ff and explodeing bumpers screws that have pentrated the battery caseing and are acting like a double ground so even after you cut the batter cables the car is still "on" --- it aint gonna be easy.

Comment

i see it as another day to adapt to any given emergency.
                NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
                IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

Unfortunately until the economy turns around this is how I see it as it is happening all around me:

1) Budgets cuts, that lead to staffing reduction and equipment not being replaced as it should

2) Consolidation not necessarily because it offers the best service but because it is cheapest

3) Oversized, overly complex, multiple purpose apparatus

4) Small communities will be hit the hardest, understaffed FD's will at best be able to initiate fire attack while they wait for mutual aid on any kind of major incident. The thoughts of a second incident handled without help are nonsensical.

Economists say that the economy, as they project, will not see major improvement until mid 2005. But if by then many FD's are gutted who believes that the politicians will bring them back up to the staffing levels they really should have?

Is it all gloom and doom? I hope not. Maybe a new generation of firefighters will have better luck at convincing the politicians of the importance of the fire service.

Take care and stay safe,

FyredUp
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

What about a increase in medical calls? This will surely change the fire service in the future. Some FD's have had a huge increase in medicals in the last several years. If has caused two of the largest depts. in Oklahoma to expand, or have the plans too, expand their ALS first responce. Couple that with the shortage of paramedics. That could get a little interesting in the future. Not to mention FD's that are the primary EMS and do Pt transport.
                    Shawn Clark
                    Firefighter/Paramedic
                    Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
                    I.A.F.F. Local 176
                    Tulsa, OK

Comment

What about a increase in medical calls? This will surely change the fire service in the future. Some FD's have had a huge increase in medicals in the last several years. If has caused two of the largest depts. in Oklahoma to expand, or have the plans too, expand their ALS first responce. Couple that with the shortage of paramedics. That could get a little interesting in the future. Not to mention FD's that are the primary EMS and do Pt transport.
                      Shawn Clark
                      Firefighter/Paramedic
                      Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
                      I.A.F.F. Local 176
                      Tulsa, OK

Comment

1) Do even more with even less.

2) More and more responding to WMD/Bio Terrorism.

3) More in home medical service such as managing shut in elderly, non emergency medical responses and such. (Almost a visiting nurse kind of thing)

OH,Wanna, DFD is Danvers Fire Department, off of 128/35/114, etc in Mass. ova' near Beverly, Manchester-by-the-Sea (magnolia), Peabody....yadda yadda yadda
                        Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Comment

Originally posted by FiRsqDvr45

OH,Wanna, DFD is Danvers Fire Department, off of 128/35/114, etc in Mass. ova' near Beverly, Manchester-by-the-Sea (magnolia), Peabody....yadda yadda yadda
                          We also got 95,1,97 and 62!!! 7 highways keeps us very busy,especially Eng.2. Manchester is kinda a drive but were surrounded by Peabody,Salem,Topsfield,Wenham,Beverly and Middleton. But I think she meant why are cars going to get harder to extracate from not why is my name dfd.

Comment

Good point DFd, and your right, I read her question wrong. :P
                            Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Comment

Darn, for a second there i was going to get directions to DFDs house

- Thomas Edison

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X