Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arson Investigations -- Writer Inquiry

Greetings, Noble Firefighters and Arson Warriors:
    I'm looking for information for background material for a book novel I'm working on about a protagonist (P) sets a fire to murder his family. I'm trying to set up the situation so that the (P) can leave the scene (around Xmas season), set up his alibi, then from his advantage point up the mountain with witnesses, view his home go up in flames, with this family inside. (Sounds evil, huh? This character is psychotic, at least. He gets his in the end, though.)
    I've done some research and found kerosene burns too slow, gas is more likely to have the vapors explode vs. the liquid. I read about acetone used in cocaine production, this this (P) isn't in the drug scene--he's a high school kid about to graduate. I figure if I can set up some type of 'machine' where timed events occur that trigger other parts of the contraption, but where the entire assembly will burn without a trace in the resulting explosion, I could get away with the event. BUT, here's the kicker, the fire and explosion needs to have enough subtle/ambigious clues left behind where if years later someone looks at the evidence, the crime can be figured out.
    If anyone can lend me some suggestions, without believing I'm a terrorist and notifying the FBI/Homeland Security, I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks!
    Dawn -- Virginia Beach, VA -- [email protected]

I'd be rather hesitant to provide that sort of information to anyone that I hadn't received extensive background information on. Having said that....I would suggest you contact your local sources....who may feel more comfortable providing that sort of info, if you sit down with them face to face.

Have you contacted the Virginia Beach Fire Marshal's Office?

Inspections and Investigations Divisions
    2408 Courthouse Drive
    Municipal Court Center - Building 21
    Virginia Beach, VA 23456
    (757) 427-4228

There may be others among the forums who might feel differently about providing that sort of info....but in the post 9-11 era, my thought process is forever changed.

Good luck in your quest!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

Greetings, Noble Firefighters and Arson Warriors: I'm looking for information for background material for a book novel I'm working on about a protagonist (P) sets a fire to murder his family. I'm trying to set up the situation so that the (P) can leave the scene (around Xmas season), set up his alibi, then from his advantage point up the mountain with witnesses, view his home go up in flames, with this family inside. (Sounds evil, huh? This character is psychotic, at least. He gets his in the end, though.)
      I've done some research and found kerosene burns too slow, gas is more likely to have the vapors explode vs. the liquid. I read about acetone used in cocaine production, this this (P) isn't in the drug scene--he's a high school kid about to graduate. I figure if I can set up some type of 'machine' where timed events occur that trigger other parts of the contraption, but where the entire assembly will burn without a trace in the resulting explosion, I could get away with the event. BUT, here's the kicker, the fire and explosion needs to have enough subtle/ambigious clues left behind where if years later someone looks at the evidence, the crime can be figured out.
      If anyone can lend me some suggestions, without believing I'm a terrorist and notifying the FBI/Homeland Security, I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks!
      Dawn -- Virginia Beach, VA -- [email protected]
      Sounds really fishy to me. You already have too much information.
      TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
      EMT GEMS
      CPT/EMT MVFD
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Proud Member of IACOJ
      ---------------------------------------------------
      9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse