union or employee representive group. You do
    not know how or where the people on the other
    side of the board stand on the issue and you
    could hurt your score....Bou

Leave a comment:

• MOFireCadet1717
    replied
    All Done

Well the interview is now over. It was one on one with camera's for later grading. I think I did very well. I went with the suit and it paid off. I spoke to a source and I guess before this interview I was very high on the list! I only got nervous once and recovered well. I was shoked the responses came so natural. The chief interviewing me was very nice and after a few answers was almost cheering me on behind the cameras, it was neat. Captain Bob's website helped with some reassurance and confidence. I wish I would have used his services fully but the info was helpful, thanks to everyone. Say a prayer for me and
    Thanks Captain Bob too!

Leave a comment:

• Mulldog
    replied
    Wear a suit. If you want the job look your best.
    Second, try to be relaxed BUT if you screw up STOP let them know how nervous you are because you really want the job. They will understand because they were there once. Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• MOFireCadet1717
    replied
    What to Wear?

Ok I'm torn. I only have one suit and it is black with black pinstripes and is very formal and I need to know if this is not good. I was going to wear slacks and dress shirt with a tie but want to make a good impression. Is the suit over the top?

Leave a comment:

• N2DFire
    replied
    Re: Whoa...wait a minute...

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    I HIGHLY suggest you get some more advice at www.eatstress.com
    Ditto!!

This is your one stop source for all the info you'll ever need.
    Good Luck on the interview.

Leave a comment:

• CALFFBOU
    replied
    Whoa...wait a minute...

Originally posted by KeithA8
    (remeber most panel members are ex military and it makes you look Squared away). Shave 30 minutes before. Wear a LITTLE calogne. Firm hand shakes. If so go to an office supply store and buy a leather bound 3 ring binder. Put all your certificates in protective sleeves in the 3 ring binder.
    Sorry, I disagree with the advice listed above.

-Most of the panel members are NOT always going to be
    ex-military.

-DO NOT shave only 30 minutes before an oral board. Shave
    in the beginning of the day. What if you cut yourself and
    start bleeding all over your face and/or new suit? (I use
    an electric razor at work so I can look sharp in a couple
    of minutes if needed.)

-DO NOT wear any calogne. You should smell fresh, not like
    youre on a first date.

-No need to buy an expensive leather 3 ring binder and put in
    copys of all of your certs. Bad advice. Your board will not
    have time to read through all of that.

-Lastly, I am a proud member of the IAFF, but there is no
    need to bring them up in a interview. What if the Chief/person
    interviewing you is currently in a battle with the union?
    What if the dept. isnt even union at all? You just looked
    like a dumb-dumb.
    I HIGHLY suggest you get some more advice at www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-24-2003, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KeithA8
    replied
    It's all about the look!!! Where a business suit, polish the shoes (remeber most panel members are ex military and it makes you look Squared away). Get a hair cut. Shave 30 minutes before. Don't have bad breath. Cut your nails. Wear a LITTLE calogne. Firm hand shakes. Look directly into the eyes of who ever is asking the questions. Sit straight and don't jitter around.

It's all about the presentation!!! Are you a volly? If so go to an office supply store and buy a leather bound 3 ring binder. Put all your certificates in protective sleeves in the 3 ring binder. This shows you are organized and profesional. Careful, don't dwell on the fact that you're a volly. Just mention it and say that is where you got the drive to go carreer. And you are willing to give up your volunteer department (Career chiefs see this as a liability). Don't sound too pro union either if this interview is with the chief. If it's with officers tell them how you have been waiting years to call yourself a union firefighter! When they ask you at the end of the interview - Is there anything you want to add? You better say a quick summary of the interview and why you are the best candidate for the job. That is the largest mistake candidates make in the interview. Be honest, be confident, but not arrogent. Tell them what you did to prepare for the job. It helps to know a little about the department first. Go to the station and ask questions before. Like - What shifts do they work? Benefits? How many years of service before you retire? At what point can you take a promotional exam? What are the levels of promotion? How long is the academy? What certifications will you recieve in the academy? How long is probation? When you ask these questions around the fire house it may get back to the brass that you took the time to stop in and meet the guys and ask these things. Mention some of these facts in the interview, but use tact. Don't sound like a history book. At this point of the game it's your personality that gets you the job over the guy 1/10 of point away from you. Hope this helps. And when you get swarn into the union remember the oath!
    Last edited by KeithA8; 06-24-2003, 12:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MOFireCadet1717
    started a topic OK BIG DAY! Need advice!

OK BIG DAY! Need advice!

I have made it to final stages in the interview process.
    The only thing standing in the way of me and my dream position is a
    panel interview. I want some strong advice to help me land this one.
    I'm looking for the Q and A that are used and any other help that can be offered. Wish me luck!

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X