No announcement yet.

Volunteer Chief suspended for drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, the man was off duty. What he does on his time is his own business. If it doesn't effect the operation of the Fire Department it shouldn't matter what he does.
    As a Volunteer one is never really OFF DUTY, unless it's a self imposed time off, otherwise you are "on duty" 24/7.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PFire23

As a Volunteer one is never really OFF DUTY, unless it's a self imposed time off, otherwise you are "on duty" 24/7.
      No, you're not. They don't own you. You put yourself on and off duty.

My guess, here, is that there is a piece of this story that is missing. Like he was driving a FD vehicle or something.

The 24 hour suspension thing is cool. I wish we could do that.
      PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

I was wrong using the word impaired. I can say with all honestly I have never had a drink and then drove. I am not saying I am better than anyone, I am just biased because I have never done this. The article says he was driving his sons' vehicle nothing about a FD vehicle. I brought this up for discusion not to point fingers. I am sorry if I came across that way.
        Last edited by wyesguy24; 06-21-2003, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Just a thought here, but you mentioned that the vehicle was uninsured; perhaps being that it was his sons vehicle he wasn't aware that there was no insurance??
          To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

Where's Paul Harvey??.........

Methinks we really, really, need to hear "The rest of the story"....... This sounds like petty local politics at it's best (or worst) and, although I have no sympathy for drunks, I got a hunch this guy was set up. How did the other 364 days go for him in the past year? Is this an ongoing problem? Or, did someone have a beer while they were being watched? And what does the "suspect" informant have to gain from this? Can O' Worms here. We should stay tuned..... Stay Safe....
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Re: Where's Paul Harvey??.........

Originally posted by hwoods
              Methinks we really, really, need to hear "The rest of the story"....... This sounds like petty local politics at it's best (or worst) and, although I have no sympathy for drunks, I got a hunch this guy was set up. How did the other 364 days go for him in the past year? Is this an ongoing problem? Or, did someone have a beer while they were being watched? And what does the "suspect" informant have to gain from this? Can O' Worms here. We should stay tuned..... Stay Safe....
              How can you even insinuate that there is petty, local politics involved in the fire service? Can you name me 15,000 other places in the world where politics have been involved?

Comment

1 beer or 1/2 beer, he was driving after drinking. No one is answering the question...was he in his vehicle or a FD vehicle. If so then why the suspension from the department.

As others with some logic have said...What is the entire story?
                09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                ------------------------------
                IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                BMI Investigator
                ------------------------------
                The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

It was not a FD vehicle, it was a personal vehicle. Wyesguy read an article that stated he was driving his son's vehicle.

The entire story here is probably what has been ongoing for some time. As ff26 stated earlier, there was a member of the public who ran for office, one of her main focal points during her campaign was the bar that is located at the hall. It is fully licensed and I believe it caters to the public for some functions as well, but I could be wrong on this one. This woman lost the election but stirred the pot enough within the public sector that the alcohol has been a long discussed issue. Now it will no longer be an issue as the bar will be removed.

I am saddened by the judgemental tone that this thread has taken on. Everyone seems to want to step onto the bandwagon and condemn this guy, but the fact of the matter is he wasn't charged with DUI, he was given a 24 hour suspension. If someone hadn't "shared" this information with anyone, no one would be the wiser. His insurance rates won't go up, he does not have to attend court so why is he losing his position as chief for something that the mayor should not have known about in the first place. It doesn't take much to get a 24 hour suspension, and he would NOT have been impaired (according to the legal limits) otherwise he'd have been charged. I just find it amazing that he's being judged for driving after having a couple when I've yet to meet anyone who won't drive after one or two.

I am not by any means condoning drinking and driving, however I myself will drive after one but not after two does that mean that I should be stripped of whatever positions I hold in my life?? I have been trying to find the original articles from the time of the election regarding that member of the publics comments on the Metchosin Fire Hall, as of yet I haven't been able to find them.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

PFire, you are exactly right. That is why I am thinking that there is a Part two to this story.

Comment

OK, I Did The Survey......

George! Yes, I did a survey, and prepared a list, Alphabetically by state, with accompanying maps. It was so much in demand that I published it, You can find it in any store. Look under "Rand-McNally" To those who have posted supporting my "Rest of the story" theory, Thanks. If the archives will cough up the stories back during the election, They'll be interesting reading. BTW, Was this person named Carrie Nation, and did she carry a hatchet?? Stay Safe....
                      In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I think we had a copy of the article from the elections time frame at the hall, if I can find it I'll just type it out here. I'm still hunting for any articles pertaining to this.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

Confusion reigns supream.....again, yet, and still!!

WOW!! the reporter that wrote this story is sure getting his milage form it. Many opinions, few facts, many conclusions and suppositions. (Yes I did chose that word carefully due to its similarity to SUPPOSITORY!!) Hope the poor Chief on the recieving end of all of this hasn't been here, for recreational reading! The # of brew's is very questionable, he was not (WAS NOT) issued a summons by the officer, he was not in a dept. vehicle, doesn' sound like the later brews were imbibed at the fire hall, if (IF) it was his son's vehicle maybe it was insured, and a certificate wasn't in the vehicle, or he didn't know where it was in the vehicle, (in my area you have 24 hours to provide/show it). IF the chief was intoxicated and driving, especially IF he had numerous brews at the fire hall ------ THEN he deserves, censure, punishment, et al....but this seems a tad over worked without more definate information.

My opinion, take it or leave it, but lets cut the man some slack without more information.

Be safe out there, protect yourself, your buddy, your dept. then the rest of the world.
                          (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
                          BE SAFE OUT THERE
                          NEVER FORGET
                          GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
                          IACOJ
                          F.O.O.P.

Comment

It seems I have stepped in it. Perhaps this is a thread I shouldn't have started. I should leave the thread making to those with more crust than I. I humbly will crawl back in my corner. Mouth now shut ears open.

Comment

Wait a Minute.........

Wyesguy, You haven't stepped in anything, this is (to me) one of those things that we discuss at length, and one of those things that we try to avoid at home. Don't go away, hang in there with us and cuss or discuss as the case may be. Stay safe....
                              In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by PFire23
                                I think we had a copy of the article from the elections time frame at the hall, if I can find it I'll just type it out here.
                                I think it was on the shuffle board table... but it is probably somewhere in Scott's (the chief) office now... I'll get the RIT team in place if you want to try to look for it amougst the stacks and stacks of papers.....
                                "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X