WOOHOO!!! I made it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOOHOO!!! I made it!

Yesterday, Thursday, 6-19-03, the man that is in charge of the firefighting school that I applied to called me to let me know that I had been accepted. I go for orientation July 9, and class starts around the end of July.

I would like to thank everyone who gave me advice in the thread named 'I need help with an interview, please'. Undoubtedly, your advice ultimately helped me get into the class. Without your advice, I would have been a bumbling, nervous fool. I would also like to thank my Chief, who gave me a letter of reccomendation. The letter helped to seal the deal.

Thanks again,

Firefighter Joshua M. Houston
    Gadsden County Fire Service, Concord Volunteer Fire Department (1219)
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Congrats!!!!
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Comment

1219 where are you attending Fire School at?
      Driver/Engineer/EMT
      Walton County Fire Rescue
      Walton County Georgia
      IACOJ

Comment

CONGRATS!!!!

Comment

as a memorable line from M*A*S*H goes, "So what do you want? A Medal?"

just kidding. congulations
          NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
          IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

Congrats!!!!!

Good job. (so far) As an Instructor, here's a couple of items:

SAFETY COMES ABOVE ALL ELSE.

The Instructor may not always be right, but he's always the Instructor.

The Instructor knows more than you do. Yes!! Really!!

There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Practice DOES NOT make perfect. Only PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect.

Take training seriously, your Chief and Instructor and classmates deserve nothing less.

You need help, Ask.

Last, if there is anything I missed above, email me, I'll be glad to help.

Best Wishes. Stay Safe....
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Congrats......

I hope you do well....really...

I will echo what hwoods says... I will be glad to help if you are willing to listen.

One additional thing is make sure you be on time for class. Do not be late. Avoid missing a day at any cost....regardless of the % of days they say you can miss. Make them all.

The first day you start and the first impression you leave will make or break you. On that first day, when you intro yourself...Tell them you are a member of XXX VFD and that you have no experience and that you are there to learn everything you need to know to get through minimum standards and start your career in the fire service. With that statement in mind....FORGET all that you have seen and done or think you know. If you do not do this...you will be in for a hard road. I know that the instructors in the Florida classes are very strict and stern and take no nonsense. If you fail to take this advice, I fear you will be labeled a smart*** and will have a long hard class. Make it fun...and learn something.
              09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
              ------------------------------
              IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
              "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
              BMI Investigator
              ------------------------------
              The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

1219 where are you attending Fire School at?
                    Chipola Junior College, Marrianna, FL.
                    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
                    EMT GEMS
                    CPT/EMT MVFD
                    Proud Member of IACOJ

Comment

Congratulations!!!

Now you can use "my" line when people ask me why I didn't go to medical school or anything else...
                      "At the end of the day, I'm still a Firefighter"
                      Brian Rowe
                      Paramedic/Engineer
                      Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Comment

damn you!!! you are where i am working to be!!! lol... really though congratulations and i know EXACTLY how you have been feeling. i just recently got on as a volunteer with one of the local departments here, but am looking to get on paid as soon as the new recruiting class opens... either way, congratulations on all your hard work!
                        <- Keepin My Mouth Shut and Ears Open...

Comment

FF1219 and intraining, congrats on making it into Fire School at the Number 1 Fire College in the state of Florida, I will see you there, it's going to be tough from what I hear, but I think we will all make it. Those dang interviews kind of had me worried, but not all that bad...
                          -Kris
                          Driver/Engineer/EMT
                          Walton County Fire Rescue
                          Walton County Georgia
                          IACOJ

Comment

Good Luck!!! Congrates!

A friend of mine went through Chipola to get his Standards. He said that the instructors are very good. You will not have a problem if you study and PAY attention to what they tell you. The instructor is your ticket to passing. I also recommend to get in a study group. That helped me alot. You will see those students that think they know it all and say "Ahhhhhh this is easy no prob here, Ive vol for 3 or 4 years and I already know how to do this" Well got news for ya stay away from them and get with someone that seems to stay focused with there studies. If you get a break like Christmas or Thanksgiving take it dont get burned out. I almost did. The Chief you talk about did a wonderful thing, sounds like hes really proud of you. Well good luck and congrats.

Comment

You have got to be kidding me, Kris. I was number 6 on the same day as you. I was the well-dressed guy who came in and called your name after my interview was over (remember me?). toldyaso71 thanks for the advice. I know that I will definitely have to study hard, because I don't know jack about the fire service (except my very limited volunteer training). Kris perhaps me and you can start a study group like toldyaso sugguested.
                              TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
                              EMT GEMS
                              CPT/EMT MVFD
                              Proud Member of IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X