What Would You Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would You Do?

You are the first officer to arrive at a routine building fire. Your driver slowly cruises past the building, allowing you to view three other sides from the right front seat (Your initial, or windshield, sizeup). After performing this initial sizeup and exiting the apparatus, which of the following will you do?

A) Immediately start performing tactial stuff: or
    B) Begin performing a secondary sizeup.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Well I do a secondary, I want to know if I have a partial collapse or something serious that I will not send in my crew.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

Its just a regular old fire. No extreme Hazards.
      Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Unless there are people hanging out the windows, I'm going to gather more information. I like to ask questions of people outside to find out those details you can't see from the street- Anybody inside? What's burning? Where is the seat of the fire? How do I get there from the front door? Then, of course, there's that trip around back to see that all-important fourth side.
        TW
        Essex Junction Fire Dept.
        Vermont

Comment

You do the size-up and with that information you act accordingly, being prepared to change your tactics as conditions warrant.
          IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Develope your strategy and then decide what tactics to use. But during that process the evaluation of the changing conditions is constant.
            09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
            ------------------------------
            IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
            "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
            BMI Investigator
            ------------------------------
            The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

backdraft663 wrote:
              Its just a regular old fire. No extreme Hazards.

To me their is no such thing. That is the kind of attitude that can get you killed or you partners. The ONLY way I go in without checking the backside and looking for possible hazards is if their is a person reported still inside. I work a 2-3 man Engine and if their is still only 2 of us the driver runs up the truck and i will check the back. Since I am the Sr. FF on scene I am resposible till an officer arrives and takes over; that is my crew, my truck, my men. I take mine and other FF's safety VERY seriously.
              If you ever have the chance to take a Company Officer training ou will learn those things.

This is not to be mean to you 663 this just the way I operate and I believe that is the same way most of us operate.
              AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

Let me rephrase that,

There in no known unusual hazards within the structure
                Last edited by backdraft663; 06-19-2003, 02:55 PM.
                Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

Comment

Always a 360. Lets you get the big picture. You have to see all four sides. Where are the utilities? Signs of collapse? How about heating, is there a propane tank being impinged? Natural gas? Where is the fire? Exposures? That is off the top of my head. This gives you the info you need to make a sound tactical decision. Another thing about a 360 is it gives you time to think. Time to form a Plan A, and think about Plan B.

Comment

I'll agree with wyes....whenever its possible.

Tell my crew to stretch to the door, assuming thats what tactic we'll take and then 360 to determine if thats gonna be the plan.

Comment

you would have to do a second size up, if your first size-up was only from the seat in the truck...there may be a lot of things that you couldnt see, and you dont want to send your men into any dangers.
                      -JEFF G

RES49CUE
                      Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
                      "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

Comment

Well in a couple days I will tell you what I think is right. After I see what everyone has to say
                        Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

Comment

Finish your first size Up

Take into account the crew can be doing things while your completing you on Sean size up. After you have tail boarded the building you still have 3 sides to look at before anything else can be done. The side, not visible, from the street and above and below the Fire building. Only then can you develop a plan of action. I like the Three-Step Process. Locate, Isolate, and Mitigate.
                          “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

Comment

After performing this initial sizeup and exiting the apparatus, which of the following will you do?

A) Immediately start performing tactial stuff: or
                            B) Begin performing a secondary sizeup.

Well, I would never divide size-up into a primary one and then a secondary on, its all a continous ongoing process that begins at the sound of the tone, if not before, and ends after you pick up. As an officer especially, one of the primary tactical "stuff" that you do is to size-up the building, which you do alot from the seat of the cab. If you are going to attack the fire you should get alook at as much as you can including the rear while your ff or ffs are stretching the line. if you have a 3 man company, which I normally do, your ff and driver should be able to stretch the line themselves and you can meet your ff at the front door. And also if conditions allow you can do a quick recon to locate the fire inside, but that depends on your own experience and ability. So I would rephrase your question and options by joinin A amd B together by stating I would immediatly start performing tactical "stuff" BY continuing my size-up. Its not an either or in my book.
                            Last edited by dfd3dfd3; 06-20-2003, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bffd5229
                              and you dont want to send your men into any dangers

ummm isnt firefighting full of dangers?? you can never not send your men into danger, its always there.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X