Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taunton's brilliant city leaders strike again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taunton's brilliant city leaders strike again!

I saw this on the news tonight and was outraged that they cut job but waste tax money on this,I wonder what else they waste our money on.

Taxpayers in Taunton are upset over the price of the restrooms. They are spending thousands for the toilets and say they want some relief. 7's Dan Hausle tells us why in this "What a Waste".
    Dan Hausle
    "Where's that $21,000 bathroom?..."

Alberta Benson, Snack Bar Operator
    "Ha, ha, ha.... Jesus come on."

Welcome to the "comfort station" that's giving some folks in Taunton the feeling their tax dollars are going right down the drain. The city spends $21,600 a year renting these toilets near the Taunton Green so the public has someplace to go. Alberta Benson runs a snack bar here and keeps the place clean.

Dan Hausle
    "$21,000 for those toilets... What do you think?"

Alberta Benson
    "You bring me in some gold ones and I'll say yes."

City leaders say they're required (by state law?) to offer public toilets downtown. But with Taunton laying off police and firemen these days to balance the books, some wonder why the bathrooms at City Hall or the police station won't do.

Robert Studley, City Councilor
    "That $21,000 could put a lady back to work in one of the offices at City Hall. And I think that's more important."

Some suggest it's politics that have kept these toilets on the public payroll for more than fifteen years. One of the landlords collecting that cash is Taunton's State Rep James Fagan.

No matter what I asked, Representative Fagan just kept pointing out he used to charge Taunton almost twice that $21,000 rent.

Dan Hausle
    "...But half a lot of money is still a lot of money for toilets?"

Rep. James Fagan (D) Taunton
    "In 1986 the rental of that building was $40,000, we reduced that by half to $21,000, which is almost fifty percent."

A figure that still leaves some in Taunton complaining "What a Waste".

Alberta Benson
    "Good god, this is what they call "Taxachusetts" not Massachusetts."

City councilors fighting to flush the toilets may have found a way outfox their opponents. The day we came asking questions, they sent out a city inspector, who declared the comfort station isn't as handicap accessible as it ought to be.

The council voted unanimously to begin eliminating the comfort station as Taunton's designated downtown bathroom.

City leaders say they're required (by state law?) to offer public toilets downtown.
    Sounds like these fine specimens have no clue. I have never heard of this. And if it is true, City Hall is usually in the downtown area and there are restrooms there. They are open to the public so hey, there is $21,000 a year saved. I wonder what else is out there that they are wasting money on.

Some suggest it's politics that have kept these toilets on the public payroll for more than fifteen years. One of the landlords collecting that cash is Taunton's State Rep James Fagan.
    A politician gettin grich off the backs of taxpayers in Massachusetts? Come on, I just don't believe that.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

How's that again?

"...[W]e reduced that by half to $21,000, which is almost fifty percent."

Wow. Yogi is doubling as a Mass. rep now?

How much are porta-johns?
      Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse