EMS gear on fire rigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMS gear on fire rigs

My department used to handle EMS transport duties. Well, you won't find an ambulance in our station any longer... but the equipment from those days lives on in our fire apparatus. We carry such things as board splits, hare traction, MAST trousers and long spine boards.

Other than your jump kit and 02, what sort of medical gear does your department carry on fire rigs responding to medical calls?

I ask here instead of the EMS forum because I'm looking for (1) more folks to see it and (2) input from everyone across the spectrum.
    sigpic

We have ALS engines so we carry a full set of ALS gear. No long boards or splints. Basically a drug box, suction, Oxygen bag, trauma kit, monitor / defib, peds bag, C-Collar bag and spare drugs.
    We only need to take care of the first few minutes before an ambulance arrives. Worst case 10 to 15 minutes.

Comment

Our Service & Rescue have the full kits/boards/etc load.

Our "fire" apparatus carry small jump kits w/02. Prior to us having the Service truck, our first out Engine Tank was also equipped with collars, boards, etc to serve as backup in case we had 2 first responder calls at once.

IMHO...in addition to the modest jump kit & 02, fire apparatus should at a minimum also carry a SAED and a small burn kit (a few sheets, couple liters of Saline), as well as your "Non-EMS" first aid kit with hydrogen peroxide, neosporin, Advil, etc. Backboard, collar, & KED is a good thing too if you have the room.
      IACOJ Canine Officer
      20/50

Comment

Both my full time dept & volunteer dept only carry "first responder" type gear, although at the full time we do carry spinal immobilization stuff to speed up the process. We have the luxury here of very quick response from Charleston County EMS for any real calls. Since I'm one of very few paramedics working at the full time gig, when I'm on duty I "offset" with a small fannypack of stuff the first response bags dont have i.e. IV stuff. Since I also work for CCEMS (yeah, I'm a workaholic) I'm covered for medical control. If you are wondering what to do with this gear as you don't see it being used anymore - talk to the emergency prepardness folks in your jurisdiction. It might find a good home in a mass casualty kit somewhere.
        Brian Rowe
        Paramedic/Engineer
        Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Comment

With more & more departments havine ALS firefighters, it makes great sense to consider ALS capabilities on a first response vehicle. The AED is a great idea, and we have them in all of our trucks. With so many Intermediates riding the piece and not just on the meat wagon, we've gotten ALS drug kits together. Depending on an ambulance's location, the first response crew can have a cardiac arrest patient shocked, tubed, and first round of drugs in. It makes perfect sense. Beyond the medication stuff, I haven't seen too many trucks with traction splints, but certainly KED's & longboards, as well as a fully stocked jump kit & O2.

~Kevin
          FF/Paramedic
          ~Kevin
          Firefighter/Paramedic
          --^v--^v--^v--^v--
          Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
          Dennis Miller

Comment

My job runs BLS First Responder Engine Companies. We carry basic EMS equipment, basic jump kits, O2, SAED's, long boards, c-collars, air splints, vaccum splints, KED and that's about it.
            Volunteer FD runs an ALS-Intermediate First Response vehicle.

*Mark
            Last edited by mark440; 06-16-2003, 08:58 PM.
            FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

Our engines are ALS...they carry:

ALS drug box
              locked narc box (morphine, versed, valium)
              Monitor with pacing, defib and pacing
              ALS jump kit with first line drugs and standard "bag stuff"
              O2 bag with intubation kit
              2 LBB's
              2 set of spider straps
              KED
              traction splints (adult and pedi)
              pedi immobilzer
              OB kits
              Sterile water

All these supplies are kept in the right front compartment where firefighter and officer can grab on curb side. LBB's are kept in rear compartment with ladders, hooks, hard suction.

Comment

In Memphis we have 30 full-time ALS ambulances with either 2 firefighter/paramedics or 1 FF/P and 1 FF/EMT and all but 2 of the stations that these units ride out of have either an ALS truck or pumper that carry everything the unit does except the stretcher. On some of the older pumpers it is very crowded but with the newer E-One's with better compartment structure it is much better.

Comment

We carry the same equipment as ADSNWFLD except we also carry full spinal immobilization equipment. We can pretty much do everything the ambo can except transport.
                  "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Comment

We carry an SAED, EMS jump kit w/c-spine collars, long board and an O2 setup on each Engine and the Rescue. Each support vehicle has a a SAED, EMS jump kit, each Ladder carries a SAED, EMS jump kit w/O2 setup.
                    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Well on my engine, we carry O2, intibation kit, trauma stuff, 2 bags of .9 and some caths and an AED and C-collars. One of our other engines are equipped the same. Our first out truck at the No.1 station will soon be an ALS Engine due to they always have medics on board. Mine and the other engine are considered BLS engines due to they are not always staffed with a medic.
                      AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

we have 1 ALS Engine LP10 , Meds, ET's , IV's , port suction, burn kit, 1 BB, straps and towel rolls for same, c-collars.

In the truck and other engine we can go IV, ET, and other BLS equip.
                        We have 2 ALS Transport Units as well.Also includes C-spine stuff.
                        Since we got our recent grant we will be adding pulse oxes to the engine and truck.
                        IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                        Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                        ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                        RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                        LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                        I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                        "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                        http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

On all our frontline rigs we carry two kits (red/blue),spineboard,KED,Bsplint kit, AED.
                          The red kit contains collars/airway management/suction/BP cuffs/glucose/nitro/OBGYN/O2 sat

The blue kit contains blocks & straps/trauma & burn/hot&cold packs/ saline/glucose/and some odds n' sodds.

Majority of us are EMT's, EMR's and a few paramedics.

Cheers

Comment

I am on a truck company, we resond after all neaby engines have been exhausted. We carry all BLS equipment required by the state EMS board.

FG
                            See You At The Big One

Comment

We carry VERY basic EMS FR kits. Bandages, Gauze, CPR mask, a few icepacks, tape, and a BP Kits. 2 Units also have an AED onboard.

If we are able to get a new Rescue Pumper it should have room for a few boards and c-collars.

code_blue81
                              Jeremy Culver
                              IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
                              www.helpingourown.com
                              "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse