• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emtmedic143
    replied
    So everyone is aware.

Originally posted by cdemarse View Post
    Or the extra 25oz if you have a pre MSA

Some people neglect the fact that in order for the N6A to be NFPA compliant it must have:

Goggles or Full face shield

Bourkes alone make it also OSHA only.

So the people here are aware of this.

Leave a comment:

• cdemarse
    replied
    Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Yeah i was way off on that one. Just go put a houston on and feel the extra 6-8 oz's.
    Or the extra 25oz if you have a pre MSA

Leave a comment:

• jonnyirons2
    replied
    Yeah i was way off on that one. Just go put a houston on and feel the extra 6-8 oz's.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Im pretty sure its that they are both NFPA approved but NOT OSHA. The N6A has the eye goggles so its OSHA approved as the N5A is not.
    Sorry WRONG.

The N5A New Yorker is OSHA approved, not NFPA.
    The N6A is NFPA approved.

This info is right from the Cairns/MSA website.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyirons2
    replied
    Im pretty sure its that they are both NFPA approved but NOT OSHA. The N6A has the eye goggles so its OSHA approved as the N5A is not.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    ROTFLMAO!!!

Leave a comment:

• ThNozzleman
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MassFireGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
    If you go to the Cairns website you can compare the 2 and find the differences between them.

In reality it is a moot point anyways. If your FD requires your turn outs to be NFPA you, in order to be in compliance with YOUR FD's regs, must buy the N6A Sam Houston. If it doesn't require NFPA try them both on at a dealer and buy the one you like.

I am sure MassFireGuy is salivating over waiting to call me the NFPA police, frankly I don't care what the NFPA says. BUT, I do CARE about what MY FD says. If they have adopted the NFPA standards, or OSHA standards for PPE then THEY have set the standard and it is to my benefit to be in compliance with MY FD's standards.

Or you can choose to totally disregard them and play the odds. I know what I will do and you can do what you wish knowing the full story.

Be safe either way.
    I was waiting to dial the NFPA police at your notice

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Originally posted by fyerman6 View Post
    Exactly what is the difference between a sammy and a yorker.Other than the osha and nfpa standards.
    If you go to the Cairns website you can compare the 2 and find the differences between them.

In reality it is a moot point anyways. If your FD requires your turn outs to be NFPA you, in order to be in compliance with YOUR FD's regs, must buy the N6A Sam Houston. If it doesn't require NFPA try them both on at a dealer and buy the one you like.

I am sure MassFireGuy is salivating over waiting to call me the NFPA police, frankly I don't care what the NFPA says. BUT, I do CARE about what MY FD says. If they have adopted the NFPA standards, or OSHA standards for PPE then THEY have set the standard and it is to my benefit to be in compliance with MY FD's standards.

Or you can choose to totally disregard them and play the odds. I know what I will do and you can do what you wish knowing the full story.

Be safe either way.

Leave a comment:

• MassFireGuy
    replied
    Phenix is junk. Talk to me in 6 years when the guts turn to junk and break. It has happened to most of the guys on the job here that wear that junk of a helmet.

Mine lasted 2 years before the suspension had to be replaced. Instead of fixing it, I bought an N5A and have never been happier.

Leave a comment:

• fireman4949
    replied
    [QUOTE=FiRsqDvr45;340813]I just bought a new Phenix leather lid and I love it. It sits lower on my head then the Cairns' and it seems to weigh a bit less and it is NFPA, Cal-OSHA and OSHA acceptable. The other nice feature that it came with was a price tag of almost $100 LESS then the Cairns' products.[QUOTE]

22 ounces less than an N6A to be exact.

I have worn both pre-MSA and post-MSA Cairns leathers. My Phenix TL-2 is by far the best, most comfortable leather I have owned! When I retire, I will be wearing a Phenix lid!

Leave a comment:

• MassFireGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by cdemarse View Post
    I have owned a 5A, N5A and a N6A. Out of those I prefer the 5A but its retired now.

Between the N5A and the N6A I prefer the N5A.

Cairns helmets are not all the great anymore. You might try to shop around for a pre 2000(MSA) helmet. They are built a lot better.
    Or you can buy a natural and paint it yourself. That seemed to work good for me.

Leave a comment:

• rli7275
    replied
    My New Yorker got issued to me in my old Volunteer Dept. When I moved out of State to go Career they told me to keep it. I like it alot probably because I've had it so long. I think it provides good protection,I've been knocked in the head a few times and there dosen't appear to be any lasting damage, although my wife would probably argue that point.

Leave a comment:

• cdemarse
    replied
    I have owned a 5A, N5A and a N6A. Out of those I prefer the 5A but its retired now.

Between the N5A and the N6A I prefer the N5A.

Cairns helmets are not all the great anymore. You might try to shop around for a pre 2000(MSA) helmet. They are built a lot better.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    I have both lids.

My lid of preference is the N5A.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse