This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why

I have been a firefighter in the state of Oregon for 3.5 years now I have my basic ff, haz-mat ops, interface ff, driver, and am working on my ff1 now the question comes. I am Attending school in Ohio and the state of Ohio will not take my NFPA training from out of state so to do anything with my dept. here I am going to have to retake all of my ff classes. why is there not a national standard for ffs that all states will take with maybe just a 1 or 2 houre state class on codes and laws for that state?
    Jesse

It's not a perfect world. Every state has their own standards, too. And so do townships, county's, villages, etc... I have the same complaint. I have two Bachelor's in fire science and can't do much with them, not to mention all my Suffolk County courses. The only thing that I have going for me if I move is that I have National Firefighter I.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

Jesse,
      The Ohio Division of EMS (yes, firefighting certifications are handled by the div. of EMS) tries to administer reciprocity by matching out of state training to Ohio's three levels:
        [*]Firefighter 1A (Volunteer Firefighter): this is a 36 hour certification which is the minimum required to fight fire in Ohio. All volunteer FF must have it within 1 year of appointment.[*]Firefighter 1. This is intended to match the NFPA firefighter 1 and represents a total of 120 hours of training. Ohio also recognizes an 84 hour minimum Firefighter 1 transition course to take folks who have the 1A certification to full Firefighter 1[*]Firefighter 2: this is intended to math the NFPA firefighter 2 and represents a total of 240 hours of training. Ohio also recognizes a 120 hour FF2 transition course to take folks who have FF1 to FF2.[/list]

Based on your message, it sounds like you may not have any documentation for training which lines up exactly to Ohio's FF1 or FF2 levels, and maybe not to the FF1A level. If you've already submitted all the documentation to the div. of EMS and they've not granted you reciprocity, I'd find a 36 hour course and just take it. It will probably be all review, but it's probably less hassle than fighting the state. If you get something from your old state which documents meeting NFPA FF1, you're probably in good shape.

Good luck.
      Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Comment

FFSaint - what area of Ohio are you moving to?

Incidentally.. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get your EMT-B or EMT-P card, here in Ohio, most depts run fire/ems together.

Comment

I am in Cedarville Ohio, as far are the emt-b gose I am working on that.
          Jesse

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X