Alcohol in stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol in stations

I would like to know why the department doesn't just take the keg and bar out of the station. Why do they have to vote on it. This is a no brainer-get rid of the alcohol. You don't need to vote on it. Also, the Wyoming State Fire Marshall ordered all alcohol out of the stations. Support your State Fire Marshall.

Use the search function...you will see this hashed out over and over and over and over......
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

What is the difference if the beer is in the station or the bar down the road?
      Umm...one's a bar (you know...a place where alcohol belongs) and the other is a fire station (you know...a place where alcohol does NOT belong).
      Member IACOJ

Comment

I have not been around forever, but I have been a firefighter for 20 years now and in all my time, I have never seen santioned Alcohol in any of the fire stations I have worked. What is the big connection? do a lot of Volley departments have bars in their stations to boost there revenues?

I have been around beer and Firefighters a long time and in fact when I was new to the fire service got into some trouble due to it. But never was the alcohol allowed in the Fire Stations and the reason seem to be pretty clear to me.

When I moved to Utah 7 years ago, I found out there was even Fire Stations here that have Beer in there Soda machines inside the fire stations.

People we are not in the 60's anymore, get with the program and realise that alcohol and Public safety dont mix.

Thanks for listening

And in case you were wondering, YES I do drink , but I drink responcibly if there is such a thing.
        Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Comment

Nozzleman...you are right. However, the fire department has a "bar" in thier station and to me that indicates they are in support of drinking on fire department property. I still contend that if you have a bar in the firehouse and firefighters drink there and there is no enforcement of rules that prohibit them from responding to calls, there is a recipe for disaster. As someone else has said this has been hashed out over and over and over.

Trojanhorse will continue to argue the point because he is in favore of drinking and driving fire apparatus. Or at least that is my read on his thoughts based on his posts supporting alcohol in the stations.

Alcohol in the stations....hmmmmm..how about this policy... All doors on the apparatus are locked as well as ignition. To enter the apparatus you have to pass a breath analysis test just to get the doors open and then another one to start the motor. It the machine detects any percentage of Alcohol....you do not get in.... Think it will work guys??????
          09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
          ------------------------------
          IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
          "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
          BMI Investigator
          The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

hey all a couple of quick things ............I wonder if this is a misplaced post vs new thread and we need to watch the alcohol debate in these forums in terms of branching off of what the WT allows.
            IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
            Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
            ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
            RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
            LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
            I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
            "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
            http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

weruj1.... After reading the original post I think you may be correct.
              09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
              IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
              "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
              BMI Investigator
              The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Alcohol threads are flourishing at the moment!

Josh, my Ohio, honorary flatlander brethren:
                I would have to believe that the WT has lifted the moratorium on alcohol related threads. After all, there are no less than three alcohol related threads being discussed at the moment. One is in the "Volunteer" forums and two are in the "Firefighter Forums-General Discussions". Since we have their blessings to discuss alcohol and such, Trojanhorse has found new purpose in posting his poo poo. The WebTeam came out not too long ago and stated that personal attacks would not be allowed. If you disagree with a post, either ignore it or respond to it. Well, I am taking them at their word and responding to Trojanhorse and anyone who thinks like him. You'd better get your fire stations in order, because one by one, the Day of Reckoning is coming. Wyoming is the starting point, but I will guarantee you that it is going to sweep this nation like a fire fanned by the Santa Ana winds!
                So, go ahead all of you Trojanhorse types. Post your little "having it at the station isn't the issue" posts. You know it's fundamentally wrong. You know it is morally corrupt. But take the opposing view to 90% of the fire departments in this nation and say that it is OK to have firefighters who drink alcohol and respond. Go ahead and say that "I am never off duty because I am a volunteer" and in the same breath say " I don't see what's wrong with having a 'few' beers and responding". Because, what you are really saying is "I drink when I am ON DUTY".
                Now do you see the problem? No? Then you are most definitely in the wrong business. Now turn in your pager, badge and 120 rpm blue light. You are a certified bar patron and a de-certified firefighter.
                Life is funny, but losing a brother/sister to a senseless, alcohol related incident isn't funny at all. It is tragic and criminal.
                The pain will go away when everyone in the fire service conducts themselves at a truly professional level and cut out all of the stop-gap crap.
                CR
                Last edited by ChiefReason; 06-15-2003, 08:40 AM.
                Visit www.iacoj.com
                Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
                RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

It has been hashed out over and over and over, yet still our worst nightmare came true in the loss of beautiful young Anndee.

This should be a wake up call to all the cdevoes and trojans of the world. One would hope that those who think it is ok to respond after having 2-10 beer would say, "GASP, all those people on the forums/down at the station/wherever that tried to tell me someone would get hurt or die if I go on a call after drinking were RIGHT". But no, some people just don't get it.

I agree with CR that the moratorium seems to be lifted, but after Anndee's death I don't think Webteam could have stopped the flood. I think as long as the conversation remains civil the threads will continue. Time will tell.

Get the alcohol out of the fire stations!

Get your policies in place!
                  September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                  IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                  Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

It has been hashed out over and over and over, yet still our worst nightmare came true in the loss of beautiful young Anndee.
                    Exactly. As long as the debate is civil, then I see no reason for anybody to ban the very important topic of alcohol in the fire service. Sure, several of us have been here for a while and have seen this "hashed" out over and over. But we must not forget that many new people from all walks of life view and join this forum everyday. If we reach just a few of them with our message, perhaps a world of good will come of it. Some of these people will be subjected to a different view on alcohol in the fire station for the first time in their lives. Maybe the logic of keeping booze out of the station will reach them in time to prevent another senseless loss of life. If Andee had viewed some of our threads on this subject, perhaps she would have been more aware of the dangers of alcohol and to recognize those "firefighters" who have been drinking and are not fit for duty. Perhaps, she would not even have gotten in that truck if she had been exposed to a point of view that contradicted the only "firehouse atmosphere" she had ever been exposed to. Drinking and driving kills. That goes for firefighters, too. To hell with "tradition"...it's time to wake up and start acting like professionals.
                    Last edited by ThNozzleman; 06-15-2003, 03:05 PM.
                    Member IACOJ

Comment

I've never heard of this so called tradition...but it sounds like the worst idea in the world. What do the law enforcement officers think of you guys driving a big truck drunk? How would you like a drunk firefighter stumbling down your stairs while trying to rescue your trapped child in your fully engulfed house? If firefighters should do it why not let police officers serve the public with a 0.15 BAC. Than how would you like that police officer responding to a man holding a gun to your childs head and shooting your child rather than the suspect. And while were at it, lets require that all ems providers must have some alcohol in their blood before they may start an IV, that way they can shove that 14 gauge right up your dumb ***!
                      Last edited by FF1118; 06-15-2003, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Just read todays headlines, though this was not in a station and not done on duty or responding the young lady was underage. Alcohol in the station NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO. I feel we are suppose to be setting a good example and yes I drink but I use my head when I do. I have cut one to many dead people out of cars who had been drinking and couple of them were my friends.
                        GFIRE

Comment

I'm sorry, I fail to see a reason why alcohol should be in a station other then an alcohol prep pad. In Texas any dept, that is certified by the Texas Department of Health, caught with alcohol in the station can risk losing their certification. It's not worth it.
                          NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
                          IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

Originally posted by gfowlston
                            Just read todays headlines, though this was not in a station and not done on duty or responding the young lady was underage. Alcohol in the station NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO. I feel we are suppose to be setting a good example and yes I drink but I use my head when I do. I have cut one to many dead people out of cars who had been drinking and couple of them were my friends.
                            Today's headline, while tragic and senseless, had nothing to do with alchohol in the fire station. I am all for banning alcohol in the fire house and a zero tolerance for drunk FF at the scene. But what people choose to do on the off duty time, at a convention or otherwise, is their own business. And I'm not about to tell people, underage or not, that they can't drink ever (unless it's my kids).
                            PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

George is correct. The incident that is today's top headline had nothing to do with alcohol in the firehouse. Lets keep the discussion in here on topic, and also not about other individual posters.

Thanks
                              WebTeam

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...