I just don't understand this one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just don't understand this one!

I can remember waking up last July 4th morning to news footage of firefighters digging through the rubble of a collapsed home looking for 3 of their own. These men died in an attempt to rescue 3 young girls from the fire. Almost a year later the mother of these three children has decided it's time to sue several fire departments that were on scene, and the county's training academy.

For more on this story see:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/new...y/m061203b.htm

While a recent report shows that there were some mistakes made during the incident, I find it unreal that this lady may actually be able to sue the responders that came to help her and her family. This is more than we can say about her partner Frank Slack who made a heck of a effort to make sure that HE got out of the fire unharmed. I guess we'll see what happens next.
    Last edited by Assistant16; 06-12-2003, 03:01 PM.

This is a situation that is becoming quite common. There are more than a few cities here where individuals have sued their local fire departments. Detroit has had about 27 lawsuits filed aginst it in the last 3-4 years as have other depts in the state (all paid depts). Most fire departments should be aware that the slimey lawyers are all over this but then again we are a suing society, aren't we!

Comment

A-16, since your from the area you have probably seen the local news reports. Right from the beginning there were questions on how the 2 of them were tearing through the thousands and thousands of dollars donated to them in the aftermath of that fire. I think at one point the bank had to step in and set up some sort of program for them to access the money. I suppose they have run out of public generosity and now are looking for the courts to pay them for a situation that they caused.

Comment

Typical

Adults leaving children behind in a fire. I have seen it and it makes me shake my head. I am sure that there were plenty of "ambulance chasers" chomping at the bit to try and get their pockets lined.
        IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

I cannot understand how someone could want to sue a fire department that responded to a fire in their home and lost three firefighters while attemping to save their children. These "adults" left their children behind in a fire and now they want to sue?

It is a very sad state when people start wanting to sue those who are out there to protect us. The Fire Service faces more than enough challenges and now to add to it, sue happy people who want to seek damages for something that was probably their fault? I just have to shake my head (and go back to my chapter on torts to try and understand this one).

Comment

To the bro's from Jersey: What's the general public's attitude toward this down there?
            IACOJ Agitator
            Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

How unfair. This mother learns of details in a report by the NJ Dept. of Labor....and seizes a window of opportunity. It is a desperate act by a shameless individual.

Report Blames Lack of RIT, PASS Devices, Training and Communication

Defendants named in the claim are Gloucester City, its fire department and Fire Chief William Glassman; the county firefighter academy; Camden City and its fire department; and the boroughs of Mount Ephraim and Brooklawn and their fire departments.
              Our brothers died attempting to save these 3 young girls. May God grant the defendants strength to deal with this lawsuit.

I will endeavor to keep you posted on the progress of this case.

I myself, am not close to this community, however, there are some members that reside in the immediate area...and I do hope you can give us some insight into the feelings of those affected by this case.

I can only imagine the stunned look on their faces.
              Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
              Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
              On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

Yeah, what's next? Sue the families of the firefighters that died that day. These people were strange from the get go, and rumor has it that dad was looked at for possibly causing the fire with a cigarette however, it couldn't be proven. Nonetheless I would think that anyone would have given life or limb to try and get their kids. On the other hand, I am also under the impression that there was fire from every window upon arrival of the first due units. Probably nobody was going to make a save that night.

I'm not sure how the general public feels about this case, but just this morning I have spoken to several firefighters and the general feeling ranges from not surprised to really P***ed off. I've had the opportunity to meet several firefighters from Mt. Ephiram and surrounding departments in the past year, and I'm interested in hearing what they have to say. It has got to hurt so close to the one year anniversary. Yet unfortunately I guess the fire service is somehow responsible for the results of the fire in this lady's home.

I'll do my best to keep up on the story and report in often.

Comment

Thanks Assistant 16!

Originally posted by Assistant 16
                  I'll do my best to keep up on the story and report in often.
                  Thank you...I, and many others, will deeply appreciate it!
                  Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
                  Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
                  On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

Assistant 16
                    I am in the general public and although I may be in San Franciso, I do try and keep up with the stories I see here. As I said above, it saddens me that these people somehow think the fire departments are responsible for the deaths of their childen. What is society coming to when they start bringing lawsuits against the emergency responders who come to their aid?
                    It is a tragic loss both for the loss of the children and the loss of three firefighters.

May all of them rest in peace.

Comment

Ok, when i read this story in the Courier-Post this morning my anger just built up so much that it could have blown my apartment away! I remember that morning hearing about the fire on the news and from my dad who heard from another member and good friend of the family about the fire and the deaths of the 3 children and the 3 Firefighters. As you can see, my sig is in rememberence of the 3 firefighters who died, and it has been there since July 7th of 2002.

This women should be the one who is being sued. She and her partner were careless. They say that a possible cause of this fire was from the dad smoking and then falling asleep on the couch. He states that he was in bed with the kids. Also, the mom was known to take meth, so she may have been the one to start the fire. This story has the Departments of Camden County up in arms! Now we're going to be going into fires knowing that if something goes wrong that we may get sued!

Boy i can't wait to hear what my Captain says. He knew Chief Sylvester and Deputy Chief/CFM 6 very well. This women deserves to be run out of this state!
                      Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
                      "GOOD GAME!"

Comment

another thing that makes you say "HUH" ? unbelieveable ......more so since there were LODD's there ......... how sad
                        Last edited by Weruj1; 06-13-2003, 01:06 PM.
                        IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                        Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                        ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                        RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                        LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                        I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                        "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                        http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Comment

Now I don't know about the rest of you but I'd be more than willing to help out with the Chief's and the dept's legal fees. This is beyond stupidity. I don't see how any human being can even think to file a lawsuit over the very people who attempted to save thier children. I guess I need to get out of this small town and see the real world

code_blue81
                            Jeremy Culver
                            IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
                            www.helpingourown.com
                            "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Comment

Now we're going to be going into fires knowing that if something goes wrong that we may get sued
                              You should have known this all along. People can sue you for just about anything. Of course, if you do nothing wrong, chances are in your favor that the lawsuit will fail. IF (and not saying anyone did) you screw up, you will be held accountable for it.
                              "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X